Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 22:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2011, 21:20
It is really unfortunate to see so many IT males struggling to get admission even after such good scores... But there are so many of them what to do........ Population you see... and the talent too
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 13

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2011, 10:11
alokalamban wrote:
It is really unfortunate to see so many IT males struggling to get admission even after such good scores... But there are so many of them what to do........ Population you see... and the talent too

Heheh :)..you see population is something that is out of our control (actually it is within our control, if you getting my drift :lol: , but let's leave that out of context for the time being), but scoring good is well within our reach!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 18:25
I just took the GMAT & scored really low (Q25 / V36). I'm looking for advice/suggestions. I am a 33rd year-old male, non-traditional student I suppose as my undergraduate degrees are in art history, English, and graphic design, and I have 10 years work experience--4 in outside sales & 6 in marketing--currently hold marketing director position for a small business. I have two bachelors degrees--GPA 3.2 first time, 3.7 second time--first from a top tier university & second from a good art school. Applying to part-time programs at Stern & Zicklin for marketing concentration. Was hoping to submit my applications in the next few days for the fall deadline, but now reconsidering since my low scores. Stern also accepts GRE (my scores Q550/ V640). I feel like my GMAT score is just way too low for a chance at Stern, and possibly Zicklin, too. Should I now wait, retake the test over the summer & apply for the spring semester? Or, should I just hope for a miracle & submit my application for fall anyway?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 13:16
This post received
KUDOS
Hi you all!
I'm from Chile and I want to study in the US, since my wife is from there.
I need help with two things:
1) I'm planning to retake the GMAT this year. Do you think that 2 months of studyng will be enough to do so? For the previous test in March (23rd) I studied for 3 months and got 480, even though in the practice tests I was getting 640-670 points(6 MGMAT and 1 official) and in the AWA I got 6.0. I was reeaaaaaaally dissapointed, because it was by far my lowest score ever. The problem is that I have a 7 months old baby and don't have a lot of time to study during the week, since I work until 7PM in the afternoon. So my plan would be to study from 8:30PM to 10:00 from Monday to Friday and 7 hours during the weekends. :?
2) I already took the TOEFL iBT and got 106 pts but it expires on the 22nd of August in this year. Does anybody know if the schools will accept this score for the applications in October this year if I send it to them before the due date?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT Date: 05-19-2011
GPA: 3.5
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 02:37
mine is 700 (Q49, V37, AWA 5.0) Non IT male Engineer from India with 7 yrs workex. should i retake?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 602 [1] , given: 5

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 12:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:
Hi you all!
I'm from Chile and I want to study in the US, since my wife is from there.
I need help with two things:
1) I'm planning to retake the GMAT this year. Do you think that 2 months of studyng will be enough to do so? For the previous test in March (23rd) I studied for 3 months and got 480, even though in the practice tests I was getting 640-670 points(6 MGMAT and 1 official) and in the AWA I got 6.0. I was reeaaaaaaally dissapointed, because it was by far my lowest score ever. The problem is that I have a 7 months old baby and don't have a lot of time to study during the week, since I work until 7PM in the afternoon. So my plan would be to study from 8:30PM to 10:00 from Monday to Friday and 7 hours during the weekends.
2) I already took the TOEFL iBT and got 106 pts but it expires on the 22nd of August in this year. Does anybody know if the schools will accept this score for the applications in October this year if I send it to them before the due date?

Hi batria,
Focus more on the quality of your study time than on how much time you have. Since you're somewhat familiar with the exam already--1-2 months is good enough---if you study well. Certainly don't underestimate the psychological aspects of the GMAT exam.

We have many students who fit your same schedule--busy working professionals with only the weekends and nighttime to study. An online video course would be excellent for someone like you, provided you have a good internet connection.

Good luck and we're here to help!

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 12:52
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks for the reply "gmatpill". I was wondering if you also know the thing about the TOEFL. If I send the score report before it expires in August, but the applications are in October... will the scorre still be valid and considered?
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 5 years

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2011, 02:21
bb wrote:
Everything you wanted to know about retaking GMAT. Not Happy with your GMAT Score? Not sure if it is good enough?
Retaking GMAT can be tough and often leads to a lower score - make sure it is worth the time and effort.

Nobody is ever happy with their GMAT score, but many agree that between 680 and 700 is good enough to get into any MBA program without second thoughts. What many of the applicants do is focus too much on quantifiable factors such as GMAT. Simply because you have 750 and another person has 700, does not mean your chances are much better. GMAT score is only a part of your application package and many 750+ applicants learned it the hard way. For Top 10 schools, GMAT is often only a check-mark. Thus, always determine the best ROI for your time and value that higher GMAT score will add to your application before deciding on retake. Often retake is not the right strategy. As an illustration, See Tarmac's post here for 8 dings with 770. Also see the "retake frustration stories" below for applicants whose scores went down after a retake.

Situations when you probably SHOULD retake:
  • The difference of your GMAT and GMAT Prep (undiluted) score is 50 points or greater
  • The difference between estimated GMAT Score and GMAT is greater than 50 points. (GMAT Score Estimator/Calculator)
  • Your target school's average score is 50 points higher (check scores here...)
  • You have used second rate prep materials (See a list of recommended books here)
  • You have a significant score imbalance. For example Q50, V25, resulting in 640
  • One of the admissions consultants from Profile Review forum recommended you retake
  • You are shooting for a scholarship (several schools award scholarships partially based on GMAT scores)
  • You have an extra 1-2 months and the best use of that time to improve your admissions chances is not writing essays/applications but studying for GMAT 3 hours/day
  • Score Imbalance: You have a have a relatively high GMAT score, but your Verbal score is significantly lower than your Quant score--common with engineers and Indian IT types. (See student who got waitlisted at 690 but got in 3 weeks later with a 760.)
  • Indian IT male - this is a very competitive segment and if you are not able to differentiate yourself in any way, get as high GMAT as you can.

Situations when you probably SHOULD NOT retake:
  • You are within 50 points of the school's average GMAT score (in this case time is best spent on applications)
  • You have exhausted all of the prep materials and resources
  • You are short on time (rather spend it on applications than GMAT. Most top 10-20 schoosl do not put a significant weight on GMAT score - we have plenty of 770 applicants with rejections
  • Already have a 700+ score

Recommendations and Resourcs for GMAT Retake:
  • Get a schedule on a calendar and write out what you are planning to do and when. Set goals and achieve them! See this post for a sample of a calendar.
  • One of the keys to a successful retake is to regain your test confidence - don't try to tackle the hardest hurdle first, focus on small victories to help motivate you to climb higher hills. Rome was not built in one day. Small victories will win the war. Thus, even though you have 45 Quant and 28 Verbal, it may be a better idea to get your Quant to 48 or 49 (and get your confidence back) before tackling the harder verbal questions.
  • However, remember that ultimately, you only have so much time and you should identify areas that will give you the highest ROI.
  • Find the best study pattern for you. If you are a single tasker - focus on quant/verbal first for the first few weeks. Then, put your attention on the other area and do a deep dive. Consider joining a study group here on GMAT Club. Some thrive in collective environment.
  • Do not move on until you feel comfortable with the section and you feel you understand the entire section in your book
  • Try following 1-2 month Study plan for retakers (how to go from 650 to 700+)
  • Sign up for a GMAT Prep course that has a money-back guarantee such as Knewton, which offers 50-point improvement or money back. (you are not losing anything except your time)
  • Make sure you have thoroughly covered your existing books
  • Books - Make sure you are using best and most effective books for your prep (gmat books, math books, verbal books)
  • Dedicate a larger portion of your day/life to methodically covering GMAT math and GMAT verbal
  • Get a better lifestyle - sleep more, party less, exercise - give it a shot for a month
  • Start reading more (books, magazines, etc - it helps a lot with RC and SC - see my post on GMAT Fiction)
  • Start using Error Log - one of the easiest ways to get your score up is to use an error log and then focus on your weaknesses
  • Try "teaching" others on the forum pages and learn more than you would ever have
  • Explore success threads below and see what helped others

FAQ
How often can I retake the GMAT? (every 31 days)
750 on the GMAT but low Quant - should I retake?
How many times should one take the GMAT - any negative consequences of retaking?
What do Business Schools think of multiple GMAT scores?

GMAT retake success stories
From 700 to 770 by Avernusaur
From 570 to 760 by Hemantsood
3rd Attempt: increased verbal from 26 to 37 by marclopato
From 640 to 770 by Billyjeans
From 620 to 710 by quantjock
From 730 to 780 by Pelihu
From 580 to 730 by Yungsta
4th attempt - 690
From 640 to 720 with only confidence by logmeup
From 570 to 600 to 670 to 720 - a long way to 700's
From 420 to 700 by Positive Soul
From 680 to 740
500 to 640 in 1 Month
From 580 to 730 with PR materials
490 to 670 with a few tweaks
710 to 770 and lessons learned (another one of those :wink: )
Get second thoughts out of your head for $250 or going from 710 to 740
From 660 to 740
690 --> 720 in 6 weeks
640 to 700 in 2 months
Long journey from 570 to 730
560 to 710 in 2 months
690 to 760 in 1 month

GMAT retake "disaster" stories
Bitten Twice
From 580 to 540 by JohnLewis
From 720 to 690 by Pathfinder - currently attending Wharton
From 560 to 510 by Mediamindy
From 610 to 570 after 3 months of studying
680 to 620 by Noboru
740 to 710 by MCM
6 months to go from 690 to 690

Reference:
Should I retake GMAT by Hjort
Got 590 and done with GMAT (Applying to Top 10)

I scored Q50, V28 in my GMAT test today. Last time a month back i score Q44, V27. I have never scored so low in verbal in any of the prep tests. But i have no idea what really happened in real test. I have done MGMAT, GMATprep and Kaplan tests.
I remember during the test i was stuck on one SC question I was not able to identify stem, the modifier or anything. It was really complicated. And i think I spent too much time and then I was rushing through rest of the test.
But even after that I am so confused about my low verbal score.
Please suggest anything. I am planning to give test in another 1 week with some preparation because i know if i wait for too long then i will get impatient and lose score on other section.
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2011, 23:44
Hi All
Yesterday,I took my GMAT and still reeling under shock and grief,scored pathetic 610 (Q49,V25).To your surprise, I scored 740(Q51,V40) in Manhattan CAT5 4 days back...scored 710(Q49,V37) in GMAT Prep2 one week back ,,repeated GMAT Prep-2 two days before test and scored 730(Q50,V38).
My average verbal score in all the tests taken (Knewton-5 tests,Manhattan-6 test,PR-1,GMAT Prep-1 and Kaplan-1) till today is 34.35 and infact V25 is my lowest score till date. Just at the time of starting preparation ,I scored V28 in GMAT Prep-1.
Though Iam not happy with my quant score (should have been at least 50) I am able to justify it, but I am completely clueless about my verbal score.
I joined Knewton with base score of 660(Q46,V35) but instead of going up by 50, my score went down by 50:).
Guys, I am in urgent need of advice how to go about. is it worth trying in 4-5 weeks again or I should take long haul..nd postpone my MBA plan for 1 year..
Target score :at least 700
Sanjay
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q V0
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 3: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 4: Q V0
GMAT 5: Q V0
GPA: 3.3
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 134

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 10:27
hey guys

I'm rewriting on the 3rd of August, 2011, for the 3rd time, and wanted to share some past experiences for rewriters who are weak in math but strong in verbal. I wrote it in a bit of a haste on Jan 5th 2010, and then again exactly a month later before I joined my new job thinking it had just been a timing issue. got a 640 both times (M44, V36 AWA - 6 & M42, V38 AWA - 6). I was so disappointed the 2nd time I remember I actually cried in my car and swore not to put myself through another rewrite and feel dumb. The worst part was the first ever GMAC cd official test I wrote without much prep (5 months prior to first attempt), I got a 630!

Some obstacles encountered during the first actual tests:

1) CHECK OUT THE TESTING CENTER ONE DAY IN ADVANCE: I took this advice way too lightly, the center I picked was in some obscure location tucked in among small houses. I was 20 minutes late, sweating buckets, and generally hassled.
2) Timing: I wrote 6 manhattans, bought temporary access to 5 Knewtons, and had taken the Princeton course so wrote 3/5 Princeton's. Math timing was an issue on Manhattan and Princeton, rarely on Knewton. However, I feel blind practice tests are a bad idea. If your fundamentals are not in place, diving into tests won't help all that much because on the actual test you will get stuck on concepts, the main thing GMAT tests.
3) First question blues: I'm pretty sure I got the first question wrong both times on math. I started the math portion and totally blanked and panicked. I spent 4-5 minutes on it too, sadly but just didn't know the answer. Ended up getting jacked on time in the end with 8 questions left in 6 minutes. I guess the core message is, move on, take the hit and make up for it later.
4) My math instructor, the first time around, from Princeton Review New Delhi (NFC batch, I mention details since Princeton had reached out to me wrt to an earlier post in which I recommended not taking Princeton) had informed us that probability/permutation/combination was very unlikely on the GMAT now. It came both times!!!! Geometric progression also came with the summation formula. Don't doodle on formulae!

One year later, I changed my mind. I'm trying a completely different approach:

1) covering my basics in math which were very weak, starting off with Manhattan books for targeted topics such as permutations/combi/probability etc.
2) working on speed and timing every question etc. This may sound silly, but I try to bring math into daily activities, e.g. I will multiply and add every license plate whenever i get the chance. Overkill? Maybe, but I think its helping!
3) I also took my verbal for granted as I considered that to be strong, very bad idea. Read the Powerprep SC book once this time, helped quite a bit in identifying specific SC errors. All my friends have recommended the Manhattan SC as a must read. I will cover that twice before going in.
4) Make sure you take all practice tests under similar stressful conditions with NO interruptions, same break timings etc.

So, its too early to say whether my tactics will pay off, but here are my practice test scores so far:
GMAC test 1 - 700 (I'll have to check the break out I took it 3 months back, on another laptop)
Veritas free test - 680 (M 43, V39)
MGMAT 1 - 700 (M44, V41)
MGMAT 2 - 700 (M46, V40)

these are distinctly better than last year. I warn Manhattan test takers, once one cracks its algorithm, your score might get misleadingly inflated. That said, I think its a good prep test.

Before launching into any more tests, I'm going to do 2 weeks of just math (OG 10 questions, review probability/combinations & no. property DS questions - still weak points), and Verbal (SC Manhattan, finish official supplement for Verbal).

I guess I posted this more to voice what I'm feeling right now as well, which is great stress. I still dread the first math question. My job is terribly demanding as are many of yours I'm sure, and it would be great to get any additional advice from retakers or anybody. I'm sure I can break the 700+ barrier this time, I just need to have my head on straight on the day. Any advice is welcome. Also, I got a 6 both times in AWA, if anybody wants to connect for AWA tips please feel free.

Tc
Aximili

How to improve your RC score, pls Kudo if helpful! http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html
Work experience (as of June 2012)
2.5 yrs (Currently employed) - Mckinsey & Co. (US Healthcare Analyst)
2 yrs - Advertising industry (client servicing)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2011, 17:12
asrider wrote:
mine is 700 (Q49, V37, AWA 5.0) Non IT male Engineer from India with 7 yrs workex. should i retake?

New to this forum. Saw your post. Thought I'd chime in.

In my opinion, and from asking admissions consultants, definitely DO NOT retake the GMAT. Your score is good enough to make it past the first hurdle of MBA admissions: intellectual capacity.

Being from India, you have the burden of proving you are different than all the other hundreds of Indian applicants to each MBA program. Your best bet is to spend considerable time thinking how you'll do that.

Someone recommended to me to spend time on recommendations...it's the one place where I gave the least amount of thought to but was told it can really differentiate applicants...

Hope this is helpful!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 08:25
Folks – I have been following GMATClub for some time now and thought of sharing my dilemma with all of you guys – I am sure I can benefit with the combined wisdom of the folks here.

I belong to the dreaded category of Indian IT Male and hence target score for me is 730+ for good schools in Asia/Europe/US.

I first wrote my GMAT in October 2010 with reasonable preparation – largely focused on OG 11 and OG 12, MGMAT SC and few full tests from Kaplan and GMATPrep. The lowest score I got was 640 and closer to test date; I was hitting close to 680 in Kaplan tests and thought that I was ready to score in the vicinity of 700 at the real thing. I wrote the test only to end up with a disappointing 640 (Q48, V29). I thought that my preparation was severely lacking and I need to do a lot more to really reach my target score.

In February this year, I started thinking about the second attempt and finished following material over 3 months or so:

Quant – OG 11 and 12, GMATClub forum questions (and there are lots of them and really good quality too)

Verbal:

Apart from OG 11 and 12, I also finished following material for specific sections

SC – MGMAT SC, Aristotle SC grail
CR – Powerscore bible
RC – RC99

I also took lot of full CATs once my material was over. Following are my scores for those CATS

MGMAT
1: 710
2: 700
3: 750
4: 730
5:770

Kaplan
1:690
2:700
3:690

GMATPrep
1:710
2: 740
1 (Reinstall): 660 – I did this immediately after I finished MGMAT 5 (complete four hours) and realized that it is futile to write a test when one is extremely tired and drained out
2 (Reinstall): 760

My lowest Quant score was 49 and verbal score range was 36-45. Only once (in the GMATPrep 660 one), I got 32 in verbal.

Finishing all the material and armed with consistent CAT scores across tests (GMATclub score predictor was predicting a 730 score), I was feeling confident of getting around 730 at the real thing.

On the day of the exam, this is how it all went:

AWA – went pretty OK – I used chineseburned’s template and thought I did pretty OK on the section.

QA

The section started as a breeze – at least till 15th question, I felt completely in command of the section and thought I was managing pretty well and kept solving every question that came my way. Next thing I remember is having about 15 minutes left for last ten questions – I felt myself rushing through last ten questions and got a feeling that I had to make 2-3 wild guesses. Overall, I thought I lost my way a little in the end.

VA

The section was going OK – was not sure of my accuracy for some CR questions. RC is generally my weak area and hence I was not sure if I was doing well there or not. But, I had felt such uncertainty every time in practice CATs and broadly did OK there, so I kept going. Here again, I realized that I had 9 more questions to go with only 15 minutes left and then I got a long RC passage, completely messing up my time management. Like Quant, again I felt I rushed through in the last 8-9 questions and felt a little let down with that aspect of my performance.

In the end, I managed a poor score of 660 (Q47, V34). I had managed 5 points improvement in Verbal but lost a point in Quant and overall managed to pull up my score by just 20 points - nowhere close to my practice scores or the scores that I need to make my application competitive.

Questions I am grappling with now are:

1. Should I retake the test? If yes, what more can I do and how do I check if I have really made progress in my preparation?
2. Should I blame my overall low score on just the time amanagement issue in last 10 problems in both sections or does this score indiscate that I am being naïve in believing that my preparation levels are at 730+ right now.
3. I never felt timing stress in any of the practice CATs I took. The questions I saw in test were very similar to OG and GMATPrep kind of questions, so what could have led to timing issues on the real test.
4. If I sould retake, should I do this at the earliest opportunity 931 days) or should I wait for 2-3 months or so.

Comments/suggestions/help welcome.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 602 [1] , given: 5

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 18:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ttin0307,

I can tell you probably got penalized heavily for those last few questions that you guessed on. Timing is a critical component of the exam. The key to timing is thinking efficiently. And if you are a perfectionist---that mentality can hurt you as well. Please read this excerpt from this article.

Perfectionists and overachievers like myself often have trouble with the GMAT. Why?

Because we are so determined to get every question that comes our way correct that we sacrifice time and ultimately are forced to guess the last several questions. The GMAT is designed to push you to your limits.

The CAT format is much harder from a psychological standpoint than a paper-based test on the same content. The reason is that by its very nature the computer-adaptive format is designed to push you to your failure point - and for us perfectionists that’s a VERY uncomfortable place to be.
The computer adaptive format means you get a harder question when you get the current question correct. What ends up happening to perfectionists is we get each question correct and in turn the GMAT throws us even harder questions. We perfectionists then spend more and more time on these harder questions double checking our math or re-reading portions of each answer choice over and over with the determination to get each question correct. Meanwhile, we sacrifice time and get heavily penalized for not finishing the exam.

In fact, part of the reason I did so poorly on my first practice exam was because I did not finish the exam in time. I was too focused on getting the question correct that I lost sense of the big picture–that I really needed be strategic with my time.

If you are pressed for time and have 4 questions left but really have time only for 2, my suggestion is instead of answering questions 34 and 35 and then guessing 36 and 37 for Quant is to answer 34, guess 35, answer 36, and guess 37. This allows you to stay at a relatively same level (or higher if you guess one right) than potentially dropping below the level you were at question 33 by getting multiple questions wrong in a row.

Since the GMAT penalizes you heavily for getting many consecutive answers incorrect you should make sure you do not end up in a position where you need to guess the last 10 questions because you spent too much time on each question in the beginning. In general, you are better off guessing 10 random questions than guessing 10 consecutive questions–so make sure you time yourself properly.

You should be aiming, on average, to answer each question in less than two minutes. With practice you should be able to sense when you are at around the 3 minute mark that you are spending too much time on this question. Around this time you should make a strategic guess and move on. With easy-type questions you should definitely not reach the 3 minute mark.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 20:48
GMATPILL: I've had the exact same problem with timing in my Math as ttin did, the first time I wrote the GMAT. very helpful advice about the not guessing too many consecutively. Thanks!

How to improve your RC score, pls Kudo if helpful! http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 02:20
Hi guys

I wanted some advice on how I should study in my last 2 weeks before the test. Quick background, I've taken the test twice in Jan 2010 & Feb 2010, VERY bad idea. 640 both times (M44/V36 & then M42/V38).

From what I've understood, statistically, chances of me doing better are low. But I know I didn't prepare well the first two times and rushed into the test. I've done a far more systematic approach this time, picking up Manhattan guides for quant & SC topics (my real weaknesses). My scores over the last 3 months on practice tests are as following:
GMAC 1: 710 (inflated because of OG12 repeats), Veritas (free): 690, MGMAT1: 700, MGMAT2: 700, Princeton (free): 700.

Now here's my dilemma. I'm taking leave from July 14th to August 3rd, and my test is on August 3rd.

My weaknesses remain:
Quant (average practice test scores 45 - 47), target: 48-49
1) Probability/combinatorics
2) Functions
3) Number properties DS questions (will review Manhattan guide properly)
4) Tougher rate questions
5) Overall timing (have been trying to improve calculation speed as much as possible by working on timers)

Verbal (average practice test scores 40 - 41), target 42-43
1) SC: This is improving, I'm just completing the SC Manhattan guide

bb, any management, or anybody who has advice for how I should really buckle down to raise my scores in these final two weeks - your advice would be invaluable.
Aximili

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 02:30
I forgot to mention, I froze on the first Math question and kinda blanked too on my rewrite. Have to be very weary of that.

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM, ISB, & XLRI
WE 1: B.Tech (Information Technology)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 10:26
Hi,

I am quite disappointed, yet determined for a re-match. My score, 550 (Q-45 V-21), was far below my expectations. Apparently, I am planning to re-schedule in a months time and wonder if you share a study plan. Following are my weakest sections ordered chronologically:

1. SC => kills me
2. RC => Quite fine but not too much to be happy about
3. CR => Fair
4. DS => Average
5. PS => Comfortable except 1 or 2 tricky questions

I am all motivated to acquire 700+ status and ready to put ample efforts.... Kindly assist.

GMAT is an addiction and I am darn addicted

Preparation for final battel:
GMAT PREP-1 750 Q50 V41 - Oct 16 2011
GMAT PREP-2 710 Q50 V36 - Oct 22 2011 ==> Scored 50 in Quant second time in a row :-)
MGMAT---- -1 560 Q28 V39 - Oct 29 2011 ==> Left Quant half done and continued with Verbal. Happy to see Q39 :-)

My ongoing plan: http://gmatclub.com/forum/550-to-630-need-more-to-achieve-my-dream-121613.html#p989311

Appreciate by kudos !!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2136

Kudos [?]: 7314 [0], given: 3619

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 18:56
Expert's post
heman2402 wrote:
Hi,

I am quite disappointed, yet determined for a re-match. My score, 550 (Q-45 V-21), was far below my expectations. Apparently, I am planning to re-schedule in a months time and wonder if you share a study plan. Following are my weakest sections ordered chronologically:

1. SC => kills me
2. RC => Quite fine but not too much to be happy about
3. CR => Fair
4. DS => Average
5. PS => Comfortable except 1 or 2 tricky questions

I am all motivated to acquire 700+ status and ready to put ample efforts.... Kindly assist.

In that case, looks like you need a grammar book and my recommendation for RC is reading articles/text/books/etc, my suggestion is gmat fiction

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 19:42
Aximili85 wrote:
Hi guys

I wanted some advice on how I should study in my last 2 weeks before the test. Quick background, I've taken the test twice in Jan 2010 & Feb 2010, VERY bad idea. 640 both times (M44/V36 & then M42/V38).

From what I've understood, statistically, chances of me doing better are low. But I know I didn't prepare well the first two times and rushed into the test. I've done a far more systematic approach this time, picking up Manhattan guides for quant & SC topics (my real weaknesses). My scores over the last 3 months on practice tests are as following:
GMAC 1: 710 (inflated because of OG12 repeats), Veritas (free): 690, MGMAT1: 700, MGMAT2: 700, Princeton (free): 700.

Now here's my dilemma. I'm taking leave from July 14th to August 3rd, and my test is on August 3rd.

My weaknesses remain:
Quant (average practice test scores 45 - 47), target: 48-49
1) Probability/combinatorics
2) Functions
3) Number properties DS questions (will review Manhattan guide properly)
4) Tougher rate questions
5) Overall timing (have been trying to improve calculation speed as much as possible by working on timers)

Verbal (average practice test scores 40 - 41), target 42-43
1) SC: This is improving, I'm just completing the SC Manhattan guide

bb, any management, or anybody who has advice for how I should really buckle down to raise my scores in these final two weeks - your advice would be invaluable.
Aximili

Considering the time you are left with, i would advise to focus on just two things

1) Number properties : Not only use Manhattan Guide, but also the questions in the gmatclub and other miscellaneous sources.(just google GMAT + Number properties :)).

2) Overall timing on Quantitative

Your verbal score is quite solid, and one or two point improvement will come automatically with feel good performance in quantitative.

Crick
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2011, 03:41
Thank you Crick, let me try to Google strategy for number props. Probability/Combi - still need to figure that one out lol. And yeah, just wrote MGAT 3 yesterday and verbal hit 44 so feeling good about that.
RC was my strength first two times, but I got 5 RC wrong this time (4 CR, 1 SC). Need some core strategy on how to crack RC.

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2011, 03:41