Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 23:01
Ok i need an opinion - an honest & optimistic one. i gave the actual gmat earlier on & got 550 and then last yr a 480. Now after 2months of taking classes & studying , and being terrifed of a taking a practise test , i am now at 590. And am more terrified now becuase its mid-october.

I think my problem is that i have too much material on my hands , i have og 10 & 11, Manhattan SC , the SETS , 1000SC , LSAT RCs plus jut downloaded powescore CR.
I had started off with Kaplan Math & verbal books but took forever to finish them. Now getting thru OG is taking time plus i've begun on stuff like Brutal Scs , LSAT and verbal sets
So to summarize it all - I have major time mgmt issues, am good at RC but struggling with CR and SC (altho i evn did the wren & martin book) and DS.

I am a targeting 670-680 since i have 8 yrs of WE , plus south-asian female of 31 yrs age , business admin degree from a local B-school , good applications story & strong recommendations (one from my ex-boss who is a kellogg grad).

Please advise what am i doing wrong? Also im thinking i should a) prepare to be ready to take the test by Nov15th , or b) finish up the apps and work on the GMAT till December .

there was a time i was so good i was great & now im struggling with gmat

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2235

Kudos [?]: 8411 [0], given: 3647

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 05:08
Expert's post
Hi - sorry missed your post.

The biggest issue is usually not following the strategies exactly as they are written in the guidebooks. For some mysterious reason people try them, and then feel that they take too long to follow each step and then start cutting corners - the result is exactly what you would expect when cutting corners.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg (Admitted), Chicago, LBS

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 15:07
Hi;

I'm in desperate need of advice here - I took the GMAT yesterday, and got a 690 (41Q/43V) as a result. I was a bit frustrated by that score, since I was getting 760 on my PowerPrep Practice tests and 710 on my GMATPrep practice tests. My score in Math was way too low!

So, here is the thing: I'm planning on bidding for a full-time MBA program at either Chicago, Wharton, Kellogg, Harvard, Columbia or the MIT (Chicago and Kellogg are my "top 2" schools). As mentioned, I think I got a pretty low score on Math (with 41Q, I made it only to the 67th perc.), and a rather average overall score (I'm pretty aware that 690 is far from being impressive).

So - what do you guys think? Should I try taking the test again? Do I have any chance of getting into one of the mentioned programs with such a low score in the Quantitative section of the GMAT?

Just to add a little bit of context: I'm already 31 years old and have a pretty solid career as consultant at Accenture.

Thanks in advance for your help.

All the best,
Márcio Guilherme.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 8411 [1] , given: 3647

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 15:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This may be a technicality question and would recommend you also post it in the Profile Review forum.

My thought is that 690 should not keep anyone from schools whose average is 710. Moreover, few of them really look at GMAT so legalistically.

Since you really need to hit your schools in R2, not much time left for a retake. I would focus on the Applications.

If you want to feel better, fix quant, and not worry about it, schedule a test in 30 days (the soonest you can retake). Don't spend much time on prepping for it - focus on the apps 97%. Practice a bit for the GMAT - take a few full tests and retake.

If you really want to be slick, don't send the scores to any schools just in case you don't get a higher score - you can order them later. However, it does not really matter if a clerk sees that your second score is lower than your first one - not a big deal to have a second score lower than the first. Pathfinder had 720, then retook and got 690 - still got into Wharton.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg (Admitted), Chicago, LBS

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 16:19
Thanks for your answer, bb.

I'll probably take the test again, and will certainly focus most of my time on my Applications. Nonetheless, don't you think a 41Q is a bit low for someone that plans to apply to a Top MBA program? I mean, 690 sounds ok, but I'm afraid that people at the Admission's office of, say, Chicago, will find that a 690 score comprised of 41Q (67%) / 43V (93%) lacks "balance". I'm really, really afraid that a 41Q could send the wrong message to those top schools, that is - I'm afraid their Admission's Office could interpret the data in a way such as "that dude has a good overall score, a good personal background, but seems to lack the intelectual horsepower that our school requires to do the Math our MBA program requires".

What do you think? Should I be worried? Is 41Q enough for a top school such as Chicago, Wharton or Kellogg?

All the best,
Márcio Guilherme.

(I'll post the question on the Profile Review forum later on)
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 8411 [1] , given: 3647

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 17:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
marcioguilherme wrote:
Thanks for your answer, bb.

What do you think? Should I be worried? Is 41Q enough for a top school such as Chicago, Wharton or Kellogg?

All the best,
Márcio Guilherme.

(I'll post the question on the Profile Review forum later on)

This answer will depend on each of the schools - admissions consultants from Accepted and MBA Apply are much more up to speed on "unofficial" requirements from each of the schools. I'd hate to give you the wrong info, so will defer to them.

Alternatively, you can also go through this thread and see if there is a pattern:
2009-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-62945.html
or here: 2009-acceptances-rejections-by-school-post-results-here-73302.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 09:27
Hi,

I am in desperate need of advice and support from GMAT club members.I have given my GMAT last week and scored 610(47 M,28 V)...which was not at all wat GMAT Prep (690-49M,35V) and power prep(680-49M,34V) suggested.I have already taken next GMAT date in 3rd week of Dec,would request to please advice the strategy for preparation.I wont be able to study more then 2-3 hours in weekdays,personally SC always make me nervous,DS Inequalities do the same thing. I was expecting a score somewhere 680.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 14:57
I had the same bad experience last month: 640(48/28) while my GMAT prep 1 and 2 were 720 and 710 resp. I am considering a retake on 15th December. Joined an online course to keep continuity though..

addynadi wrote:
Hi,

I am in desperate need of advice and support from GMAT club members.I have given my GMAT last week and scored 610(47 M,28 V)...which was not at all wat GMAT Prep (690-49M,35V) and power prep(680-49M,34V) suggested.I have already taken next GMAT date in 3rd week of Dec,would request to please advice the strategy for preparation.I wont be able to study more then 2-3 hours in weekdays,personally SC always make me nervous,DS Inequalities do the same thing. I was expecting a score somewhere 680.

Success is the measure of your hard work with in your Destined Range.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 19:16
Thanks for the advice.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 4

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 01:53
Nice thread, kudos to BB.
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2009, 22:29
Hi all,

I took the gmat today and scored 720 (51Q 35V)
Of course, I was happy with the Q score, but the V score just made me want to cry.
I took all the manhattan prep practices and had these 6 scores for verbal, 34, 36, 40, 40, 45
I just can't understand why I did so badly. To insult my own injury, I actually felt good about my answers.

In any case, my current problem is as follows. I have about a month till the R2 deadlines. I'm applying to HBS, MIT, Stanford, Chicago, and Northwestern. My undergrad gpa was 3.4, master's gpa 3.3, and my phd (which i didn't complete) 3.8. I have roughly 6 years of work experience and no significant extracurriculars that are current. Oh and I'll be 33 at matriculation. I keep hearing that age doesn't matter, but looking at the age ranges and the averages, it looks like I'm slightly outside the SD.

I need to do my essays now, but I'm also thinking perhaps I should retake the GMAT at the end of this month. Honestly, I went through hell pulling my verbal score up to 45, and then today I made my second trip there seeing all the fruits of my studying spiral down the toilet.

From a practical point of view, I'm thinking that 720 is good enough (as long as they don't peak at the V score). I also think that the make-it or break-it hinges on my essays. But, this little voice inside of me, coupled with all the ding/admit profiles makes me wonder if that damn 35 V is going to break me.

Anyone care to comment or are in similar positions?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2009, 23:02
Expert's post
oskarmellow wrote:
Hi all,

I took the gmat today and scored 720 (51Q 35V)
Of course, I was happy with the Q score, but the V score just made me want to cry.
I took all the manhattan prep practices and had these 6 scores for verbal, 34, 36, 40, 40, 45
I just can't understand why I did so badly. To insult my own injury, I actually felt good about my answers.

In any case, my current problem is as follows. I have about a month till the R2 deadlines. I'm applying to HBS, MIT, Stanford, Chicago, and Northwestern. My undergrad gpa was 3.4, master's gpa 3.3, and my phd (which i didn't complete) 3.8. I have roughly 6 years of work experience and no significant extracurriculars that are current. Oh and I'll be 33 at matriculation. I keep hearing that age doesn't matter, but looking at the age ranges and the averages, it looks like I'm slightly outside the SD.

I need to do my essays now, but I'm also thinking perhaps I should retake the GMAT at the end of this month. Honestly, I went through hell pulling my verbal score up to 45, and then today I made my second trip there seeing all the fruits of my studying spiral down the toilet.

From a practical point of view, I'm thinking that 720 is good enough (as long as they don't peak at the V score). I also think that the make-it or break-it hinges on my essays. But, this little voice inside of me, coupled with all the ding/admit profiles makes me wonder if that damn 35 V is going to break me.

Anyone care to comment or are in similar positions?

Unless you are getting MBA in Philosophy, your Q51 should more than cover your V35.
Pathfinder (currently in Wharton) got 720 (from-720-to-70639.html), though his split was slightly different and is happy where he is. He spent 4 more months studying and got 690.... :roll:

Would suggest you focus on Essays instead. If you are still concerned, comb though these threads to see how you stack up: 2009-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-62945.html and 2009-acceptances-rejections-by-school-post-results-here-73302.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Director
Director
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2009, 00:00
Thanks bb for the inputs!
I am struggling to reach 700 (irrespective of distribution).Being a outlier in SD sense with age(nearing 40) and concentration not in my control, i am still pursuing my goal :oops:

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Last edited by nitya34 on 29 Nov 2009, 00:05, edited 3 times in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2009, 00:02
Thanks bb

You are right. That's exactly what GMAC wants me to do. I should just go to vegas and bet all my savings on red.
It's all about perspective. I hope the admissions also has some perspective :0
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 15:38
Hello, this is my first post. I'm glad I found GMAT Club!! Next year I'm planning to apply to a distance learning MSc, I already have a MBA good enough for my region. 3 years ago I took the GMAT and obtained a 640 score (45 q, 32 v).

I will take the GMAT for fun. I also try to get 700+ score to apply to a scholarship, but I'm doing the test mostly for fun.

Do you think I need to study like a newbie because a took the test 3 years ago?

Sorry I think this post is a little wordy.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 17:11
Expert's post
jasolorzanor wrote:
Hello, this is my first post. I'm glad I found GMAT Club!! Next year I'm planning to apply to a distance learning MSc, I already have a MBA good enough for my region. 3 years ago I took the GMAT and obtained a 640 score (45 q, 32 v).

I will take the GMAT for fun. I also try to get 700+ score to apply to a scholarship, but I'm doing the test mostly for fun.

Do you think I need to study like a newbie because a took the test 3 years ago?

Sorry I think this post is a little wordy.

Not technically a re-take (3 years is a long time). I would take a GMAT Prep (download gmatprep) and see how well you do. Then we can talk :)

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 07:40
Thanks bb, I thought so. Wouldn't I be wasting a test? I know I'm rusty, so I'm planning to study from scratch.

For my previous experience (32 verbal) and being that I'm not a english native speaker, do you recommend that I start with verbal?

Thanks again, I'm enjoying the GMAT Club. I already subscribed in the GMAT Question of the day.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell, Haas, USC, Tepper
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: Ultimate Should I Retake GMAT Thread [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2009, 13:21
treemonkey wrote:
Just want to add my two-cents worth. I got 670 the first time around, extremely disapointed cause I was expecting a slightly higher score. I got 690 and 710 for GMATprep 1 & 2. I was determined to get a 700+ and the reason for that is probably a bit irrational -- my best friend got a 760 and I have always beatten her in whatever subject at high school. She did take a prep course so I took that into consideration and only aimed for 700+.

I studied for a month -- only on the weekend though cause I was a bit tied up with other stuff -- the second time I took it I got 710. I would be happier if I got 720 or 730 but I don't want to waste my precious time on retaking it again since I need to get started on other parts of my applications.

I think the bottom line is, if you have a reason to believe that you would get 30 or 40 points more, then go for it, retake the exam. In my case I knew there was a big chance that I'd get a better score if retook the exam and I had enough time to do so.

Luck is a big factor too. I was weak on Science RC's and came across one the first time around but not the second time.

I know 710 is not a very high score but I hope I can still make to at least one of the schools I'm applying to: INSEAD, LBS, Columbia, Kellogg & MIT. I can't say my work experience is really unique -- my undergraduate degree is Computer Science but I wanted to get into finance purely because it's what I'm interested in and I've been a financial planner for 3 years now. I did my high school in China, lived in Thailand for a year and then moved to Australia. I've been living and working in Australia for 12 years now. My goal is to break into consulting, specialising in the financial services industry. Don't know what my chances are but I'm gonna do my best and give it a shot. Anyone who have some insights in these schools selection criteria and thinks my goal is unrealistic/realistic please let me know. I can really use some guidance here.

bb, I really think it's great that you started this thread because it provides ppl who are contemplating on retaking the exam with both sides of the story.

My reasoning is similar actually. I want to beat my friend so I am gunning for an 800.
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 21:57
I took the GMAT and i had a total score of 550.
Q: 42
V: 28
Please i need someone to tell me what to do inorder to rise my score to 700+.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia, NYU, Oxford, Cambridge, INSEAD

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 16:22
I started studying for the GMAT in March '09. My math was very rusty and I reviewed basic concepts with a private tutor. I was scoring around 650 on GMATprep, but when I took the GMAT for the first time in May '09 I scored 610, Q35 (42%), V40 (89%), AWA 6.0
I believe the nerves got the best of me.

I started preparing again in October. Verbal was not a concern. Even though I am not a native English speaker, I have good language intuition and I knew I will score high if I keep reading the Economist :-)

I had to tackle two issues. One was reviewing all concepts again and filling in all the gaps - understanding stuff that simpler problems do not cover, or cover insufficiently. This forum was extremely helpful. I learnt a lot of new concepts that are missing in OG11 (my main textbook till I found GMAT Club). I found that the more difficult problems I did, the better I was doing with timing on simpler problems.

Timing was my second issue. I get nervous when I am pressed for time, and I knew I had to practice a lot on developing clear, consistent thinking under pressure. Data sufficiency problems are a big challenge for me under these circumstances - when I am nervous I loose the thread.

I did lots of problems, took about 15 different trial tests, and was scoring up to Q44 (on Manhattan and 800score) when I was relaxed and confident, and consistently above Q35 when I was more nervous or in an unfamiliar environment.

I took the GMAT for the second time today and scored 660, Q36 (45%), V44 (97%).
I was nervous again! To a point where I almost self-sabotaged myself and started thinking how I would score below my first result.

Now, although I am please I improved my score by 50 points, I know I could have done better in math.

Does anyone have a solution for feeling stressed on the exam? Do you think I should retake the test? I am targeting Columbia, NYU, Oxford, Cambrdige, INSEAD. My bio, professional and international experience are all convincing, I am just wondering if they are convincing enough to offset a relatively low score.
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2009, 16:22