Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [1]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink]
Kudos
FSK wrote:
amenon55

Thanks for the prompt reply :)
Like I said in the post,I am not aiming for the top 10 colleges and I work for a product based company(so Non-IT) .So any chances of scholarship with 690 considering I highlight my profile in the best way possible?
also Should I go for one more retake?If I get 730 or so, any chance of scholarships in R3 ?

If you plan to apply to schools listed on the left, I think for most of them you are OK with your GMAT.
If you plan to apply in R3, places are limited, competition is fierce since you are competing with guys wailisted in R1 and R2 and scholarship fund is almost gone.
Please review debriefs of other applicants in "Share GMAT Experience" and you will find a lot of advice, since your situation is not unique.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [1]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Kudos
FSK wrote:
Thanks for the prompt reply :)
Like I said in the post,I am not aiming for the top 10 colleges and I work for a product based company(so Non-IT) .So any chances of scholarship with 690 considering I highlight my profile in the best way possible?
also Should I go for one more retake?If I get 730 or so, any chance of scholarships in R3 ?

As a general rule of thumb, if you really feel that you can improve significantly - of course, retake the GMAT.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63661 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hm, interesting verbal results, felipeangelm. In general, there could be two reasons why your RC score was low: 1) you're bad at reading, or 2) you missed some RC questions that you're perfectly capable of getting correct. And clearly, you're not bad at reading. Your CR results are really good. You just managed to do something goofy on RC this time around -- maybe a lack of focus, or some fatigue leaking in, or just reading too darned quickly? That stuff seems fixable to me if you really concentrate on developing a consistent approach to RC.

I'm not sure whether this will help, but this (pretty generic) article on RC might point you in the right direction in terms of how to think about consistency on RC. But I don't think that you need to drive yourself crazy doing TONS of RC practice -- just enough to be confident that you'll perform up to your usual standards. Other than the RC on that last exam, you've been in the 75th-90th percentile on RC and CR, so there's no reason you can't consistently score in that range on RC.

For quant, I wouldn't overthink the arithmetic subscore. Basically, the GMAT shoehorns EVERY type of quant question into those two categories (arithmetic and algebra/geometry), and that isn't terribly helpful for test-takers who are trying to figure out what, exactly, they need to study. I suspect that you have some legitimate weaknesses that could use some attention, but "arithmetic" is too general to be helpful. Keep a close eye on what you miss on your practice questions and tests, and see if that helps you figure out which topics could use some extra attention. And there are some great people in the quant section of GMAT Club who can help you with all of that.

Good luck with your retake, and please let us know how it goes!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
priya666 wrote:
Hi
I am giving my GMAT next week, i was getting 600 score but just now when i took a mock i got 470 , please suggest something my verbal score is not getting better , i have to give exam next week only and i want 700 plus.
i finished my test before time also., either i am too late or too fast and low accuracy.

Hi priya666 ,

Let me be honest. Getting 700 in one week when you are at 470 is NEXT to impossible unless your luck is very strong.

Please see if you can delay your exam.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nole1112 wrote:
First GMAT taken 2 weeks ago: 750 Q47/V47 w/ 5IR and 5AWA

Had a solid GPA in undergrad at state school (3.96 in Finance/Management) I'm aiming for top schools but am concerned my work experience will not be enough: 2 years financial services company (marketing/sales for mortgages & 2 summers of finance internships at fortune 100 company).

I honestly believe that with two weeks I could get Q up to 50 or so, likely boosting my score.

Worthwhile to retake?

Thanks guys!

Holy crap, congratulations on that 750! And on that great GPA!

It's hard for me to imagine that you NEED to do any better, but if you think you can get a 50, then go out and do it! An eye-popping quant score can only help your case, and in the scheme of the six-figure MBA investment, a couple of weeks + $250 isn't all that huge of a cost. I'd go for it.

The biggest risk -- and it's not much of a risk, really -- is that your verbal score is so magnificently high that one or two more errors might cost you a couple of points, even if you don't do anything differently. But even then, I think schools would (mildly) prefer to see a 50Q/44V than a 47Q/47V. At the very least, it can't hurt to take one or two more shots at the test if you think you can do better.

Let us know what happens! Feel free to tag me if you end up writing a debrief -- I'm always curious to see how these things end up. Good luck with the retake!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
stablegenius wrote:
Hi guys,

I wrote the GMAT for the first time 3 weeks ago and got a 700 (Q47, V38, IR8, AWA5). I only studied quant because diagnostic tests suggested it was my clear weakness, and that was on and off for 6 weeks in ad hoc fashion. Based on my ESR, SC is holding me back from getting a V43-45 (it's considerably lower than my CR and RC), and I believe that I can push my quant to at least 49 with a more disciplined study regimen.

I studied at a small Canadian school (commerce degree) and have a poor GPA, so I'm wondering if it's worth retaking the GMAT as a matter of improving the academic side of my applications. I begin full time work soon, so any applications would be for 2019 at the earliest.

Any advice would be highly appreciated!

If your username is a reference to a certain orange-haired fellow, then that's pretty funny. :)

Three different thoughts about retaking:

• In general, if you think you can improve your score, why not do it? You're saying that your studying wasn't consistent, and you think you can get a 49... and I'd argue that SC is the most learnable part of GMAT verbal. So you're leaving points on the table right now. Might as well go get them, right?
  • Depending on where you want to get your MBA, the score might be fine the way it is. You're in the range for pretty much any Canadian school, for example; if you're targeting elite (say, top-15) U.S. programs, then a 700 + low GPA + relatively unknown undergrad program probably won't do the trick.
  • #covfefe (Ignore this bullet if I've misinterpreted your username. :grin:)

It doesn't sound like you have much reason NOT to retake, but if your MBA goals are relatively modest, then you might be fine.

I hope this helps, and welcome to GMAT Club!
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Piyush0731

Work on as many official questions for Verbal till 27th of February. Focus your
preparation specifically on those topics which are still weak for you. You can easily
find which of the topics need work by analyzing the two GMATPrep tests that you
have taken.

On the 28th take the third test(either of the tests from the EP1) and see how you
perform. Make sure to work on your timing the next time you give the exam the
next time around.

You could also read the following post to understand what needs to be done:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-to-do-3 ... 52506.html

If you are still 50+ points away from your target score, I would recommend you
to delay your exam by a month atleast

Hope this helps you!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi ikcotyck. Sorry you did not get the score you wanted or expected.

Your post is more of a profile a valuation rather than should I retake the GMAT :-)

I feel you will do great with 730 for the Bschools you selected. You have a pretty strong profile and I don’t think an extra 20 or 30 points would make that much of a difference. I would start working on the essays and applications.

You can however take a 15 day break and venture back to the test center and take the test again if you feel uncertain about this direction. There’s a decent chance you’ll get a higher score. You may have scored at the bottom of your range rather than the top and taking a bit of a break with some minimal refreshing can help.

Good luck!
BB

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
No worries. It is a fine line with lots of gray.

You can post in profile review forum or in the school forums (all should have a dedicated profile eval thread). I would suggest that you do not double post in multiple places because consultants do check and they tend to reply very briefly if it all to folks who do multiple posts about the same question. Should you not get an answer in 48 hrs, I think it’s appropriate to post in a different spot.

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
vasu214 wrote:
7 months and 450 hours: 440 to 660. I want to get to 710+ in 6 weeks.

Hello Everyone,

Just sat for the exam for the second time on Oct 19. I vastly improved over my first exam in July, however I want to do even better. Here I will give a description of my studies and ask advice on what to do next.

Background information
Basics: male, US, native-english, south-asian origin, 31 years old.
Professional: 7 years in non-profit arts administration. I am the full-time director of a youth orchestra program in NYC. It’s a fascinating blend of creative music making, organizational leadership, and music education.
Education: piano performance and music composition
Asterisks: dropped out of HS (ended up returning). Never finished basic HS math. Destroyed by calculus in college. Hadn’t sat for a "math" exam since 2008. My professional role, although creative and demanding, requires little thorough quantitative or critical analysis.

Goal: I want to transition to a leadership position in the for-profit sector and build experience (and money) for at least a decade. Then, I want to return to the non-profit sector and lead a major cultural arts institution in New York City.

Schools: applying R2 to four T15. Not going any lower. Yes, I’m taking a chance!

Journey 440 to 660 and beyond

March 2018 took GMAT Prep 1 (75 question) mock. 5 hours sleep. Cold. No preparation whatsoever. Hadn’t taken a test in 10 years.
440: Q18/V30/IR3/AWA??

Yeah it was bad. A few days later tried a mock GRE exam and scaled it was the same score. Decided I could better prove myself, because of my non-traditional background, with the GMAT. Haha.

April: averaging 8 hrs/week and 6 hours sleep per night. MGMAT Foundations Math book, and Magoosh flashcards. Yep.

May: averaging 16 hrs/week and 6 hours sleep per night. Magoosh question bank and some OG. Really struggled with both. Terrible timing. Did not understand anything not only in quant, but also in verbal.

May 24: sat for MGMAT CAT 1. 540: Q35/V30/IR3/ didn’t finish AWA. Fixed timing and breaks. Intentional morning routine. Even left the house and walked around the block.

Wasn’t really sure where to go from here. A good friend who scored 760 suggested I do CR Bible and focus on Magoosh. I really needed the Magoosh video explanations. OG was too above me.

June: 16 hrs/week studying and 6 hours sleep per night. CR Bible, Magoosh quant, and little bit of verbal here and there. Mid June began working 1x a week with a great tutor from one of the well-known test prep companies.

July 10: sat for MGMAT CAT 2. 540: Q29/V36/IR3/AWA self-scored 5. Fixed timing and breaks. Morning and evening routine.

Friday July 13: sat for GMAT Prep 2 (web version). 650: Q40/V40/IR4/AWA self-scored 5. This was terribly inflated and a cruel Friday the 13th joke. It had questions from the software version of GMAT Prep 1 I took in March. Fixed timing and breaks. Morning and evening routine.

July 16: sat for actual exam. 540: Q29/V37/IR2/AWA5. Gross. Just couldn’t do it right.

Then, I started a very detailed error log, and detailed my study habits in a schedule.

mid-July to end of August: averaging 18 hrs/week studying and 6 hours sleep per night. quant did only Magoosh UNTIMED and heavily reflective. Focused on “easy” and did one topic at a time. It would take me up to 8 minutes to do an easy quant problem. But I would understand it. Went through a bunch of Magoosh verbal all difficulties untimed.

end of August: switched to OG2018 online (!!) The online edition is a game-changer. Started on easy untimed. It was freakin hard!!! Worked through easy, and slowly began to incorporate timing.

September: averaging 18 hrs/week studying and 6 hours sleep per night. focused on OG EASY quant untimed and timed. detailed error logging. reviewed mistakes. re-did EASY questions. Verbal OG medium.

Sept 15: GMAT Prep 3 600: Q39/V34/IR4/AWA self-scored 5. I wasn’t too thrilled. Fixed timing and breaks. Morning and evening routine.

Sept 22: MGMAT CAT 3. 620: Q36/V28/IR4/AWA self-scored 5. Fixed timing and breaks. Morning and evening routine.

Sept 29: MGMAT CAT 4. 640: Q40/V37/IR3/AWA self-scored 5. Fixed timing and breaks. Morning and evening routine. Felt confident.

By now I was really sharpening my timing. MGMAT CATS give superior timing analyses and I was using it to my advantage. Saw that I would get sucked into a time-bomb spiral on the first 10 questions. Statistically, If I spent more than 2 minutes on a question, I had less than 10% chance to get it correct.

On quant I was learning to force myself to make smarter decisions faster. I was working through OG medium. Still haven’t touched OG hard!

On verbal I was struggling to increase accuracy while maintaining time on “Hard”. I still struggle with this. I struggle with focus while reading CR. I struggle with understanding hard CR. My Hard SC isn’t that great, either. I think lack of sleep (less than 7.5 hours) really impacted my verbal comprehension.

Final two weeks I was FORCING myself to sleep 7.5 to 9 hours each night. I noticed my focus increase.

Oct 13: GMAT Prep 4. 620: Q39/V36/IR3/AWA self scored 5. Fixed timing and breaks. Morning and evening routine. This impacted my confidence. I felt bad.

Oct 19: actual exam. 660: Q43/V38/IR6/AWA? Overall I was pleased, but disappointed by the Verbal plateau. How do I break out of it? ESR is attached.

Verbal: I really struggle with understanding hard CR questions. Hard SC, too.

Quant: haven’t even touched OG Hard yet. There are still about 40 medium OG questions I’ve got wrong that I need to go back and re-do.

I am sitting for the exam again on December 6. My minimum goal is 710: Q47/V40/IR6/AWA 5.5

I am fairly stubborn and obsessive, and often foolishly ambitious. I know that even with a 710, I may be rejected from my four T15 choices. My professional background is compelling. Even after I submit a (fingers crossed) 710 R2, I will likely continue to study and re-take GMAT in March. I believe a 760 is within my grasp, and such as score is useful for recruiting for certain industries, and even applicable to Law or Public Affairs/Policy programs.

My recent ESR is attached and I have very detailed error logs and study schedules on Google Sheets. Also, shout-out to my tutor - if you’re reading this, you know who you are!

What’s your advice?

Thank you!

Hey vasu214,

First, your job sounds pretty awesome! Second, kudos for the 200 point increase you've already achieved.

I'm not a tutor or instructor myself, but wanted to quickly share a couple of articles written by our academics team at ORION that I think you might find valuable as you shoot for that 710+ in the next month or so:

The Blueprint For A 760 GMAT - https://intercom.help/gmat_learnwithori ... a-760-gmat
How To Maximize Your Error Log - https://intercom.help/gmat_learnwithori ... -error-log

Best of luck with your remaining studies and let us know if there's anything we can do to assist!

PS - totally tangential, but as a music educator, you might appreciate the documentary Alive Inside. Check it out :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM