Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 23:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2011
Posts: 4
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 08:25
Folks – I have been following GMATClub for some time now and thought of sharing my dilemma with all of you guys – I am sure I can benefit with the combined wisdom of the folks here.

I belong to the dreaded category of Indian IT Male and hence target score for me is 730+ for good schools in Asia/Europe/US.

I first wrote my GMAT in October 2010 with reasonable preparation – largely focused on OG 11 and OG 12, MGMAT SC and few full tests from Kaplan and GMATPrep. The lowest score I got was 640 and closer to test date; I was hitting close to 680 in Kaplan tests and thought that I was ready to score in the vicinity of 700 at the real thing. I wrote the test only to end up with a disappointing 640 (Q48, V29). I thought that my preparation was severely lacking and I need to do a lot more to really reach my target score.

In February this year, I started thinking about the second attempt and finished following material over 3 months or so:

Quant – OG 11 and 12, GMATClub forum questions (and there are lots of them and really good quality too)

Verbal:

Apart from OG 11 and 12, I also finished following material for specific sections

SC – MGMAT SC, Aristotle SC grail
CR – Powerscore bible
RC – RC99

I also took lot of full CATs once my material was over. Following are my scores for those CATS

MGMAT
1: 710
2: 700
3: 750
4: 730
5:770

Kaplan
1:690
2:700
3:690

GMATPrep
1:710
2: 740
1 (Reinstall): 660 – I did this immediately after I finished MGMAT 5 (complete four hours) and realized that it is futile to write a test when one is extremely tired and drained out
2 (Reinstall): 760

My lowest Quant score was 49 and verbal score range was 36-45. Only once (in the GMATPrep 660 one), I got 32 in verbal.

Finishing all the material and armed with consistent CAT scores across tests (GMATclub score predictor was predicting a 730 score), I was feeling confident of getting around 730 at the real thing.

On the day of the exam, this is how it all went:

AWA – went pretty OK – I used chineseburned’s template and thought I did pretty OK on the section.

QA

The section started as a breeze – at least till 15th question, I felt completely in command of the section and thought I was managing pretty well and kept solving every question that came my way. Next thing I remember is having about 15 minutes left for last ten questions – I felt myself rushing through last ten questions and got a feeling that I had to make 2-3 wild guesses. Overall, I thought I lost my way a little in the end.

VA

The section was going OK – was not sure of my accuracy for some CR questions. RC is generally my weak area and hence I was not sure if I was doing well there or not. But, I had felt such uncertainty every time in practice CATs and broadly did OK there, so I kept going. Here again, I realized that I had 9 more questions to go with only 15 minutes left and then I got a long RC passage, completely messing up my time management. Like Quant, again I felt I rushed through in the last 8-9 questions and felt a little let down with that aspect of my performance.

In the end, I managed a poor score of 660 (Q47, V34). I had managed 5 points improvement in Verbal but lost a point in Quant and overall managed to pull up my score by just 20 points - nowhere close to my practice scores or the scores that I need to make my application competitive.

Questions I am grappling with now are:

1. Should I retake the test? If yes, what more can I do and how do I check if I have really made progress in my preparation?
2. Should I blame my overall low score on just the time amanagement issue in last 10 problems in both sections or does this score indiscate that I am being naïve in believing that my preparation levels are at 730+ right now.
3. I never felt timing stress in any of the practice CATs I took. The questions I saw in test were very similar to OG and GMATPrep kind of questions, so what could have led to timing issues on the real test.
4. If I sould retake, should I do this at the earliest opportunity 931 days) or should I wait for 2-3 months or so.

Comments/suggestions/help welcome.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 May 2011
Posts: 277
Location: Costa Rica
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q V0
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 3: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 4: Q V0
GMAT 5: Q V0
GPA: 3.3
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 134

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 20:48
GMATPILL: I've had the exact same problem with timing in my Math as ttin did, the first time I wrote the GMAT. very helpful advice about the not guessing too many consecutively. Thanks!
_________________


How to improve your RC score, pls Kudo if helpful! http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html
Work experience (as of June 2012)
2.5 yrs (Currently employed) - Mckinsey & Co. (US Healthcare Analyst)
2 yrs - Advertising industry (client servicing)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 May 2011
Posts: 277
Location: Costa Rica
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q V0
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 3: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 4: Q V0
GMAT 5: Q V0
GPA: 3.3
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 134

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 02:20
Hi guys

I wanted some advice on how I should study in my last 2 weeks before the test. Quick background, I've taken the test twice in Jan 2010 & Feb 2010, VERY bad idea. 640 both times (M44/V36 & then M42/V38).

From what I've understood, statistically, chances of me doing better are low. But I know I didn't prepare well the first two times and rushed into the test. I've done a far more systematic approach this time, picking up Manhattan guides for quant & SC topics (my real weaknesses). My scores over the last 3 months on practice tests are as following:
GMAC 1: 710 (inflated because of OG12 repeats), Veritas (free): 690, MGMAT1: 700, MGMAT2: 700, Princeton (free): 700.

Now here's my dilemma. I'm taking leave from July 14th to August 3rd, and my test is on August 3rd.

My weaknesses remain:
Quant (average practice test scores 45 - 47), target: 48-49
1) Probability/combinatorics
2) Functions
3) Number properties DS questions (will review Manhattan guide properly)
4) Tougher rate questions
5) Overall timing (have been trying to improve calculation speed as much as possible by working on timers)

Verbal (average practice test scores 40 - 41), target 42-43
1) SC: This is improving, I'm just completing the SC Manhattan guide

bb, any management, or anybody who has advice for how I should really buckle down to raise my scores in these final two weeks - your advice would be invaluable.
Aximili
_________________


How to improve your RC score, pls Kudo if helpful! http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html
Work experience (as of June 2012)
2.5 yrs (Currently employed) - Mckinsey & Co. (US Healthcare Analyst)
2 yrs - Advertising industry (client servicing)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 May 2011
Posts: 277
Location: Costa Rica
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q V0
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 3: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 4: Q V0
GMAT 5: Q V0
GPA: 3.3
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 134

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 02:30
I forgot to mention, I froze on the first Math question and kinda blanked too on my rewrite. Have to be very weary of that.
_________________


How to improve your RC score, pls Kudo if helpful! http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html
Work experience (as of June 2012)
2.5 yrs (Currently employed) - Mckinsey & Co. (US Healthcare Analyst)
2 yrs - Advertising industry (client servicing)

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Next engagement on Nov-19-2011
Joined: 12 Jan 2011
Posts: 84
Location: New Delhi, India
Schools: IIM, ISB, & XLRI
WE 1: B.Tech (Information Technology)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 10:26
Hi,

I am quite disappointed, yet determined for a re-match. My score, 550 (Q-45 V-21), was far below my expectations. Apparently, I am planning to re-schedule in a months time and wonder if you share a study plan. Following are my weakest sections ordered chronologically:

1. SC => kills me
2. RC => Quite fine but not too much to be happy about
3. CR => Fair
4. DS => Average
5. PS => Comfortable except 1 or 2 tricky questions

I am all motivated to acquire 700+ status and ready to put ample efforts.... Kindly assist.
_________________

GMAT is an addiction and I am darn addicted

Preparation for final battel:
GMAT PREP-1 750 Q50 V41 - Oct 16 2011
GMAT PREP-2 710 Q50 V36 - Oct 22 2011 ==> Scored 50 in Quant second time in a row :-)
MGMAT---- -1 560 Q28 V39 - Oct 29 2011 ==> Left Quant half done and continued with Verbal. Happy to see Q39 :-)

My ongoing plan: http://gmatclub.com/forum/550-to-630-need-more-to-achieve-my-dream-121613.html#p989311

Appreciate by kudos !!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12341
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9428 [0], given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 18:56
Expert's post
heman2402 wrote:
Hi,

I am quite disappointed, yet determined for a re-match. My score, 550 (Q-45 V-21), was far below my expectations. Apparently, I am planning to re-schedule in a months time and wonder if you share a study plan. Following are my weakest sections ordered chronologically:

1. SC => kills me
2. RC => Quite fine but not too much to be happy about
3. CR => Fair
4. DS => Average
5. PS => Comfortable except 1 or 2 tricky questions

I am all motivated to acquire 700+ status and ready to put ample efforts.... Kindly assist.



In that case, looks like you need a grammar book and my recommendation for RC is reading articles/text/books/etc, my suggestion is gmat fiction
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Prep started for the n-th time
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 708
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 37

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 19:42
Aximili85 wrote:
Hi guys

I wanted some advice on how I should study in my last 2 weeks before the test. Quick background, I've taken the test twice in Jan 2010 & Feb 2010, VERY bad idea. 640 both times (M44/V36 & then M42/V38).

From what I've understood, statistically, chances of me doing better are low. But I know I didn't prepare well the first two times and rushed into the test. I've done a far more systematic approach this time, picking up Manhattan guides for quant & SC topics (my real weaknesses). My scores over the last 3 months on practice tests are as following:
GMAC 1: 710 (inflated because of OG12 repeats), Veritas (free): 690, MGMAT1: 700, MGMAT2: 700, Princeton (free): 700.

Now here's my dilemma. I'm taking leave from July 14th to August 3rd, and my test is on August 3rd.

My weaknesses remain:
Quant (average practice test scores 45 - 47), target: 48-49
1) Probability/combinatorics
2) Functions
3) Number properties DS questions (will review Manhattan guide properly)
4) Tougher rate questions
5) Overall timing (have been trying to improve calculation speed as much as possible by working on timers)

Verbal (average practice test scores 40 - 41), target 42-43
1) SC: This is improving, I'm just completing the SC Manhattan guide

bb, any management, or anybody who has advice for how I should really buckle down to raise my scores in these final two weeks - your advice would be invaluable.
Aximili


Considering the time you are left with, i would advise to focus on just two things

1) Number properties : Not only use Manhattan Guide, but also the questions in the gmatclub and other miscellaneous sources.(just google GMAT + Number properties :)).

2) Overall timing on Quantitative

Your verbal score is quite solid, and one or two point improvement will come automatically with feel good performance in quantitative.

Crick
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 May 2011
Posts: 277
Location: Costa Rica
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q V0
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 3: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 4: Q V0
GMAT 5: Q V0
GPA: 3.3
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 134

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2011, 03:41
Thank you Crick, let me try to Google strategy for number props. Probability/Combi - still need to figure that one out lol. And yeah, just wrote MGAT 3 yesterday and verbal hit 44 so feeling good about that.
RC was my strength first two times, but I got 5 RC wrong this time (4 CR, 1 SC). Need some core strategy on how to crack RC.
_________________


How to improve your RC score, pls Kudo if helpful! http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html
Work experience (as of June 2012)
2.5 yrs (Currently employed) - Mckinsey & Co. (US Healthcare Analyst)
2 yrs - Advertising industry (client servicing)

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Prep started for the n-th time
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 708
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 37

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2011, 18:47
Aximili85 wrote:
Thank you Crick, let me try to Google strategy for number props. Probability/Combi - still need to figure that one out lol. And yeah, just wrote MGAT 3 yesterday and verbal hit 44 so feeling good about that.
RC was my strength first two times, but I got 5 RC wrong this time (4 CR, 1 SC). Need some core strategy on how to crack RC.


Glad to be of help. Your verbal score looks excellent. I too have some issues with RC. If you post the strategy you use for RC in the topic below , that would be very helpful to me. Thanks in advance.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html#p948602

Crick
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 23
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Foster (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.34
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 07:34
Hello Everyone,

My issue is similar to what a lot of people have already mentioned in this thread.

I am a 28 year old entrepreneur from India with 6 years of work experience including 3 years of experience working as a SAP BI consultant and the reminder as the CEO of an Engineering Manufacturing Plant (Family Owned). I am also serving as a Director and stake holder in a Ferro Alloys Manufacturing Unit in India for the last 2 years. My GMAT score is 660 (Q49 and V31). My under-grad background is that of a Mechanical Engineer with a CGPA of 3.3

I am interested in joining the Full time MBA Program in some of the top 25 colleges. I was wondering if anyone can please provide me with an honest opinion if my GMAT score and background allows me a good chance to get into them or should I work towards improving my GMAT score. The colleges that I am looking at are Duke University (Fuqua) , University of Virginia (Darden) , Emory University (Goizueta) and University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (Kenan-Flagler). Although I had aspirations to apply for a couple of top 10 B-schools but I dont think I have too much of a chance with my GMAT score.

My GMAT score of 660 is within the 80% range in most of the above universities (its usually 640-750, so rather on the lower edges) for the class of 2012(even some of the top 10 ones have taken 660 students). But I am really confused about my score in GMAT. Fistly, I have no idea where I messed up in verbal. My quant score was 49 but I knew I botched a couple of questions so I am not complaining but I dont 31 in quants and that was the lowest I ever got in any GMAT prep tests.My GMAT score was lower than anything I got in GMAT prep or Kaplan test or GMAT club tests (barring the 1st one I took to check my level).I have always scored more than 36 in verbal. Total score 670,710,690,690,730,740, in Kaplan tests and 640, 710, 730,740 in Gmat Prep.

Secondly, is my score is good enough to get me into a top 25 B-school or should I consider reappearing?

Any advices would be welcome coz at this point I am extremely confused coz if I miss the bus for 2012 session then my chances of MBA are a gone for good, so have to make it stick and reappearing is sticky because it will be hard for me to manage to reappear GMAT again,work on my applications and manage my professional commitments. But if I have to reappear GMAT I will do it.

Also, any idea where I can ask for my profile to be reviewed is also welcome.

Thank you

Regards
Jit
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12341
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9428 [0], given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 09:07
Expert's post
jit007 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

My issue is similar to what a lot of people have already mentioned in this thread.

I am a 28 year old entrepreneur from India with 6 years of work experience including 3 years of experience working as a SAP BI consultant and the reminder as the CEO of an Engineering Manufacturing Plant (Family Owned). I am also serving as a Director and stake holder in a Ferro Alloys Manufacturing Unit in India for the last 2 years. My GMAT score is 660 (Q49 and V31). My under-grad background is that of a Mechanical Engineer with a CGPA of 3.3

I am interested in joining the Full time MBA Program in some of the top 25 colleges. I was wondering if anyone can please provide me with an honest opinion if my GMAT score and background allows me a good chance to get into them or should I work towards improving my GMAT score. The colleges that I am looking at are Duke University (Fuqua) , University of Virginia (Darden) , Emory University (Goizueta) and University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (Kenan-Flagler). Although I had aspirations to apply for a couple of top 10 B-schools but I dont think I have too much of a chance with my GMAT score.

My GMAT score of 660 is within the 80% range in most of the above universities (its usually 640-750, so rather on the lower edges) for the class of 2012(even some of the top 10 ones have taken 660 students). But I am really confused about my score in GMAT. Fistly, I have no idea where I messed up in verbal. My quant score was 49 but I knew I botched a couple of questions so I am not complaining but I got 31 in verbal and that was the lowest I ever got in any GMAT prep tests.My GMAT score was lower than anything I got in GMAT prep or Kaplan test or GMAT club tests (barring the 1st one I took to check my level).I have always scored more than 36 in verbal. Total score 670,710,690,690,730,740, in Kaplan tests and 640, 710, 730,740 in Gmat Prep.

Secondly, is my score is good enough to get me into a top 25 B-school or should I consider reappearing?

Any advices would be welcome coz at this point I am extremely confused coz if I miss the bus for 2012 session then my chances of MBA are a gone for good, so have to make it stick and reappearing is sticky because it will be hard for me to manage to reappear GMAT again,work on my applications and manage my professional commitments. But if I have to reappear GMAT I will do it.

Also, any idea where I can ask for my profile to be reviewed is also welcome.

Thank you

Regards
Jit



I think you don't need to retake your GMAT. Don't misunderstand me - it would be great and helpful but based on what I have read, it does not sound it will be productive.
I would recommend a few things:
1. Get another opinion, perhaps from an admissions consultant here: admission-consultants-124/ they may be much more familiar with your schools and know reasons to or not to take the GMAT again.
2. Start working on the essays ASAP
3. Try improving your verbal on the back side by reading books, see GMAT Fiction list I put together. This will help you with proper English and essay writing and also should you finish your essays earlier, you can consider retaking and by that time hopefully your verbal level will be much stronger.

Bottom line, it is very possible to get in with your score but that depends on your Letters of Recommendation and your Essays, more so than the GMAT.


P.S. Please upgrade your profile to the new Advanced one so your target schools show up in the Roll Call! More info on the Advanced Profile is here, and it is of course free
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2011
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 21:22
Hi
I gave my GMAT on this Friday. I got a 680 (a bit disappointed)
I got 48 in Quant and 35 in Verbal.
I have a BE degree in Mechanical Engineering. I have worked in the Oil Field (Baker Hughes) for 3 years.
I am looking at Nanyang and York University (canada).
Do I need to give the GMAT again?

Thanks
-Sid
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12341
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9428 [0], given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 21:24
Expert's post
siddhartharyan wrote:
Hi
I gave my GMAT on this Friday. I got a 680 (a bit disappointed)
I got 48 in Quant and 35 in Verbal.
I have a BE degree in Mechanical Engineering. I have worked in the Oil Field (Baker Hughes) for 3 years.
I am looking at Nanyang and York University (canada).
Do I need to give the GMAT again?

Thanks
-Sid



You should be all set - even for HBS!
The only thing I would check is perhaps with admissions to see if they have a GMAT-based scholarships and if they feel you need a higher score to qualify (some schools do but most dont).
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Posts: 2
Schools: Tuck '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 12:13
Hi everyone,
I just took the GMAT and received a 720 with Q46 (73%) V42 (94%). Quant score is a little low relative to what I've been scoring on practice tests (48ish), so I'm wondering if its really worth going through the hassle of taking it again to try for those extra 2 points to get a nice 80/80 split? (I've been averaging 40ish on Verbal on the practice tests so I did better on that section)

The rest of my application is decent (great GPA, good work exp, no special ECs), and I'm looking to go to at least a 11-15 school like Darden/Cornell with Top 10 as a stretch. Any thoughts appreciated!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 May 2011
Posts: 277
Location: Costa Rica
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q V0
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 3: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 4: Q V0
GMAT 5: Q V0
GPA: 3.3
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 134

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 21:58
congratulations on a great score!
_________________


How to improve your RC score, pls Kudo if helpful! http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html
Work experience (as of June 2012)
2.5 yrs (Currently employed) - Mckinsey & Co. (US Healthcare Analyst)
2 yrs - Advertising industry (client servicing)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 11:04
Hi Experts,
I wrote my gmat exam two days before and ended up getting a 600 (48 Q, 25 v).I am still shattered because of getting such a low score.I have given around 30 mocks ,but never got less than 610 ( except for the Kaplan 2nd test ,in which I scored a 590).In fact ,before starting the preparation,only once I got a 610 in the diagnostic test.After that I put in a lot of effort continuously for two months, studying around six hours a day before taking the test. My Mgmat test scores( 650, 670, 630, 660) and kaplan CD test scores (620,590) were also decent in comparision with the actual score.Two days before taking the test I wrote the GMAT prep test-2 and scored a 740.In addition, I left one verbal questions unmarked during the actual test because of time constrain( I guess leaving a questions unmarked impacts the overall score).I felt that SC questions in the actual test were very strange (if not difficult) than those I had gone through and I did not spend too much time on them as I would have left with very less time for CRs and RCs.So I guess that it was majorly the Sentence correction protion,which I had mainly foused on during preparation, of the test that destroyed the party;though I am not very confident in saying that.
My academics are not very bad with X-80%,XII-80%,BE-72%.I have an overall experience of around 4 years with an MNC in the field of IT and have lot many things to decorate my essay ( white papers, have a BA degree in Music ,have a music band of my own,did some NGO work etc.)
I just want to ask whether I should retake the exam or just give it up.I have already gone through almost all of the important materials such as Manhattan(SC,CR, RC), power score CR bible, 1000 SC,1000 CR(left with a few of them).Now I am only left with the KAPLAN book to study.Please suggest whether I should take the test again or not.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12341
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9428 [0], given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 12:01
Expert's post
abhishek1234 wrote:
Hi Experts,
I wrote my gmat exam two days before and ended up getting a 600 (48 Q, 25 v).I am still shattered because of getting such a low score.I have given around 30 mocks ,but never got less than 610 ( except for the Kaplan 2nd test ,in which I scored a 590).In fact ,before starting the preparation,only once I got a 610 in the diagnostic test.After that I put in a lot of effort continuously for two months, studying around six hours a day before taking the test. My Mgmat test scores( 650, 670, 630, 660) and kaplan CD test scores (620,590) were also decent in comparision with the actual score.Two days before taking the test I wrote the GMAT prep test-2 and scored a 740.In addition, I left one verbal questions unmarked during the actual test because of time constrain( I guess leaving a questions unmarked impacts the overall score).I felt that SC questions in the actual test were very strange (if not difficult) than those I had gone through and I did not spend too much time on them as I would have left with very less time for CRs and RCs.So I guess that it was majorly the Sentence correction protion,which I had mainly foused on during preparation, of the test that destroyed the party;though I am not very confident in saying that.
My academics are not very bad with X-80%,XII-80%,BE-72%.I have an overall experience of around 4 years with an MNC in the field of IT and have lot many things to decorate my essay ( white papers, have a BA degree in Music ,have a music band of my own,did some NGO work etc.)
I just want to ask whether I should retake the exam or just give it up.I have already gone through almost all of the important materials such as Manhattan(SC,CR, RC), power score CR bible, 1000 SC,1000 CR(left with a few of them).Now I am only left with the KAPLAN book to study.Please suggest whether I should take the test again or not.



At this point it is probably about the score you realistically need. What schools are you applying to? If 600 is within 80% of the spread, then you are fine.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 21:27
Hi BB,
I am not sure if with a score of 600 I can apply to any of the good colleges(Even though .My expectations were somewhere between 650 and 700.I think 600 is not even near to the cut-off of any of the colleges I had targeted for and even the best of the applications can not balance such a poor score.what say?

Thanks,
abhishek
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 1611
Location: New York, NY
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 6

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 07:43
Expert's post
abhishek1234 wrote:
Hi Experts,
I wrote my gmat exam two days before and ended up getting a 600 (48 Q, 25 v).I am still shattered because of getting such a low score.I have given around 30 mocks ,but never got less than 610 ( except for the Kaplan 2nd test ,in which I scored a 590).In fact ,before starting the preparation,only once I got a 610 in the diagnostic test.After that I put in a lot of effort continuously for two months, studying around six hours a day before taking the test. My Mgmat test scores( 650, 670, 630, 660) and kaplan CD test scores (620,590) were also decent in comparision with the actual score.Two days before taking the test I wrote the GMAT prep test-2 and scored a 740.In addition, I left one verbal questions unmarked during the actual test because of time constrain( I guess leaving a questions unmarked impacts the overall score).I felt that SC questions in the actual test were very strange (if not difficult) than those I had gone through and I did not spend too much time on them as I would have left with very less time for CRs and RCs.So I guess that it was majorly the Sentence correction protion,which I had mainly foused on during preparation, of the test that destroyed the party;though I am not very confident in saying that.
My academics are not very bad with X-80%,XII-80%,BE-72%.I have an overall experience of around 4 years with an MNC in the field of IT and have lot many things to decorate my essay ( white papers, have a BA degree in Music ,have a music band of my own,did some NGO work etc.)
I just want to ask whether I should retake the exam or just give it up.I have already gone through almost all of the important materials such as Manhattan(SC,CR, RC), power score CR bible, 1000 SC,1000 CR(left with a few of them).Now I am only left with the KAPLAN book to study.Please suggest whether I should take the test again or not.


abhishek1234,

Sorry to hear that. After much studying, I think you'll realize that doing well on the GMAT is not about doing thousands of questions. Sure--several hundred is good practice. But if you're still not improving after a thousand--then clearly there's something in your thought process that needs to be changed.

When you say "now I am only left with the Kaplan book"--I get the sense that you're not on the right track. It's not about exhausting all books.

This is a critical reasoning logical fallacy.
You seem to be thinking: "If I go through all books --> then I will ace GMAT"

This is not right! You can go through all books and still not reach your goal. Recognizing this train of thought is also important for doing well on the CR section.

What you need to do is change the way you think.

Once you learn how to think differently--you'll be able to go back to all those thousands of questions and re-attempt those in a timed condition.


Lastly, since you say you did well on the practice tests but not as well on the actual---consider the importance of psychology and timing strategies on the actual exam.

Hope that helps. And remember, we're here to help.
_________________


... and more


Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)


GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2011
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 19:14
I, like so many others on this thread, am struggling with whether or not I should rewrite the GMAT. I took the exam on August 2, and scored a 680, which was much lower than I was expecting based on my practice exams which typically were between 720-750. I got a 44 on the quant section (lower than expected) and 40 on the verbal (expected). I am still waiting for my AWA report but expect that they should be adequate.

Although I know that this is an above average score I am struggling because I really want to apply to the top tier B-schools in the states, including HBS's 2+2 program, whose average GMAT score is around 720!

That being said, I also have a very high GPA (3.9+), am female (not sure if this gives me a demographic advantage or not), will graduate a double major in mathematics and philosophy from a top undergraduate Canadian university, research experience, paper publications, and a number of undergraduate scholarships and awards.

Also, I understand that you need to have 31 days between rewrites? Or is it just once per month maximum? Because the only possible date in September I can write is the 1st, since I have to return to my studies, and my university is not located near a testing centre. So having written on Aug 2, would I be allowed to even register for an exam on Sept 1?

Any advice? To rewrite or not to rewrite... that is the question!
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2011, 19:14
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
should i retake gmat GAURAVA 3 24 Oct 2006, 04:43
Experts publish their posts in the topic Should I retake GMAT? ellisje22 5 08 Jan 2006, 07:12
Experts publish their posts in the topic Should I retake the GMAT? tapan22 3 29 Dec 2005, 11:12
Should I retake the GMAT? cmuajp 5 17 Aug 2005, 11:41
Should I retake the GMAT ? paddy 6 12 Mar 2005, 11:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  21    Next  [ 407 posts ] 

Moderators: TGC, m3equals333



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.