Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 01:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2272

Kudos [?]: 8771 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 19:45
Expert's post
cjcf wrote:
Also, I understand that you need to have 31 days between rewrites? Or is it just once per month maximum? Because the only possible date in September I can write is the 1st, since I have to return to my studies, and my university is not located near a testing centre. So having written on Aug 2, would I be allowed to even register for an exam on Sept 1?

Any advice? To rewrite or not to rewrite... that is the question!

Yes, you need to have 31 days, so September 3rd is the earliest day for you to re-take.
The usual decision hinges on the question - can you use the time until September 3rd for a greater good for your application? Can you work on essays and get move value/strength added to the app than you would have if you studied for the GMAT?

Some people retake and get a 50 point bump but some don't (you can see that from the threads). There is no guarantee with or without studying. The key is - do you need that time. If not and you have a $250 sitting around, then by all means.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU Stern, Columbia, Chicago Booth, Ann Arbor Ross, UCLA Anderson, Duke Fuqua
WE 1: Infosys - systems engineer - 8 months
WE 2: Web developer - Rirev - Entrpreneur - 1yr 4months
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 09:25
Hi,
I was hoping you could help me out with my decision on whether to retake the GMAT.
I just it and got an overall 710, quant 50 and verbal 35.
In my practice tests I was always around the 740 mark with q48-49 and v42.
Verbal totally screwed me up. And im pretty sure it was because of cr & rc more than sc

Im looking to apply to universities ranked 9-16(roughly) on the us mba rankings

The rest of my profile is as follows:
1) Electronics engineer from India.
2) Worked at infosys for 8 months.
3) Started my own company after that and will have worked in the company for arnd 1yr 4months by the time I plan on starting b-school

Any advice??

Thanks and regards,
Ayush Agarwal

Last edited by agarwalayush on 06 Aug 2011, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 09:30
Expert's post
agarwalayush wrote:
Hi,
I was hoping you could help me out with my decision on whether to retake the GMAT.
I just it and got an overall 710, quant 50 and verbal 35.
In my practice tests I was always around the 740 mark with q48-49 and v42.
Verbal totally screwed me up. And im pretty sure it was because of cr & rc more than sc

The rest of my profile is as follows:
1) Electronics engineer from India.
2) Worked at infosys for 8 months.
3) Started my own company after that and will have worked in the company for arnd 1yr 4months by the time I plan on starting b-school

Any advice??

Thanks and regards,
Ayush Agarwal

I think you omitted the schools you are trying to apply to. That is one missing piece of info. Also, you may want to get a free consultation from admissions consultants on this as well

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU Stern, Columbia, Chicago Booth, Ann Arbor Ross, UCLA Anderson, Duke Fuqua

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 09:39
sorry... just edited the message
im looking at colleges ranked 9-16(roughly) on the us news mba rankings list.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 09:43
Expert's post
I think you will do great in your category of schools. However, you do have an Indian Tech Background, which means you will be competing against a pretty large applicant base with your background. If you have a good story then I would not bother but if your story/applications are not very strong, you may want to consider retaking in a month (at least to put an end to the doubts).

As they always say, retaking really depends on you being able to use the time better. Many feel that for the top 20, an increase from 710 to 760 may not be worth it but if you are done with your essays or not planning to spend too much time studying, then it may be worth it.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 09:58
Well I have a pretty good record throughout my undergrad with projects and with IEEE committee work and also did a little social work with the Lions Club.
I know I can do better and get around the 750 mark and its just eating me up that I screwed up so badly. I know I can achieve that score without devoting too much time into it which anyways I wont be able to put in as im also preparing for CFA level 1 in Dec and the Indian MBA entrance exam - CAT.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 10:15
Expert's post
Then I would take the GMAT again. There is a 40 point error in the test, so you may walk out with a cool 750 the next time. If anything, it will resolve your doubts! (and that's worth $250 to me). Good luck! (see some of the success debriefs. People just took the test without studying and scored much higher... mostly due to lower stress/etc). You have a 710 already - nothing to stress about, just take one question at a time and that's it! Dont think about the results or scores, just one question at a time.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 10:42
Thanks a lot for the help. Ill also write to a few of the universities im applying to, to check their views on retaking the gmat.
Also, one last question - Do I have to wait the an entire 31 day period or am I allowed to give the exam as soon as the next calendar month begins??
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q V0
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 3: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 4: Q V0
GMAT 5: Q V0
GPA: 3.3
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 134

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 21:12
you have to wait that period

How to improve your RC score, pls Kudo if helpful! http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html
Work experience (as of June 2012)
2.5 yrs (Currently employed) - Mckinsey & Co. (US Healthcare Analyst)
2 yrs - Advertising industry (client servicing)

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 03:36
Hi all, if I write a 4th time, they should only be able to see the last 3 scores, correct? Also, GMAC will inform them that it was my 4th attempt I'm guessing?

How to improve your RC score, pls Kudo if helpful! http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 04:35
Hi all, for those considering multiple attempts, and also those with a disproportionate score (very high verbal very low math or vice versa) wishing to rewrite to balance it out, please view below response from Wharton on their website. Though specific to Wharton, mI'd think most of it applies to general re-takers too:

http://engage.wharton.upenn.edu/MBA/forums/p/3187/9073.aspx#9073

Let me know if you have problems accessing it. I will post the text. Hope its helpful!
A.

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2011, 23:25
Hi all
I'm considering a 4th attempt. I wanted to know which scores get reported by GMAC. On my 4th attempt, if I select some schools at the center (or later), will they get all 4 of my scores, or just the last 3?

In case they get just the last 3, GMAC will inform them that it was my 4th attempt right, and then I might have to explain it later anyway? Can somebody explain this please?
A.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 07:35
Expert's post
ravi67741 wrote:
hi bb

I took my GMAT yesterday, 20 Aug 2011 and got a score of 620 (Q-46, V-29).

I used MGMAT guides and tests & Kaplan premier 2010 (with CD) for my preparation.
During my practice my score were
MGMAT-1 (Jun 1st week) - 600
MGMAT-2 (Jun 2nd week) - 590
MGMAT-3 (Jun last week) - 610
MGMAT-4 (July last week) - 650
MGMAT-5 (Aug 1st week) - 710
MGMAT-6 (19 Aug) - 680 (took it casually)

Kaplan-1 (May Last week) - 630
Kaplan-2 (july 2nd week) - 650
Kaplan-3 (july 3rd week) - 650
Kaplan-4 (Aug 2nd week) - 680

GMAT prep-1 (Jun 2nd week) - 660
GMAT prep-2 (16th Aug) - 640 (Q50, V-27)

my avg score for Quant = 47-48
my avg score for Verbal = 35-36

I have used 1000 series for all five portions (PS,DS,CR,RC & SC)
Used MGMAT SC guide for SC & CR bible for CR

My target institution is ISB(India) and IIMs(India).

Guys after seeing such score I am broken
I know with this score I head for nowhere

Should I retake the test or prepare my application (I presently serve with Army, will this make a strong profile. But I don't that it will be strong enough to compensate for such a low score.)

and if I should prepare then which all material should I refer to and what should my strategy now.

This is a really tough question.
I would also get a second opinion from ThinkAdmit in the Admissions Consulting forum.
I think for ISB you may want to retake since the competition is so fierce. Do get a second opinion though!

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 08:35
Hi bb

I understand that since my score low low for ISB, I need to retake the exam but now I am puzzled with the thought that which material should I refer to. Can you please help me on that. can you suggest some good study material or course which can me at this stage

Aim 720+

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 154

Kudos [?]: 509 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 09:02
ravi67741 wrote:
Hi bb

I understand that since my score low low for ISB, I need to retake the exam but now I am puzzled with the thought that which material should I refer to. Can you please help me on that. can you suggest some good study material or course which can me at this stage

Hi, sad news, but I would say: retake it without hesitation. Why? Because as I see you used pretty good materials and in most of cases your GMAT score is lower than that in practice CATs. Seems it was a bad luck.
Does retaking the test hurt you? I think no. So why not to take it again?!
You are aiming for 720+, so go and DESTROY IT! You deserve more!

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 09:25
ravi67741 wrote:
Hi bb

Regarding the materials. Try Knewton, they guarantee +50 points improvement or money back. It worked for me.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 09:32
Pkit wrote:
ravi67741 wrote:
Hi bb

Regarding the materials. Try Knewton, they guarantee +50 points improvement or money back. It worked for me.

Thanks Pkit.....there is no harm taking the retest and in fact I have made up my mind to prepare again. Do you find knewton good?....how much does their course cost.....is there any way to get a cheaper deal....

Aim 720+

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 09:59
ravi67741 wrote:
Pkit wrote:
ravi67741 wrote:
Hi bb

Thanks Pkit.....there is no harm taking the retest and in fact I have made up my mind to prepare again. Do you find knewton good?....how much does their course cost.....is there any way to get a cheaper deal....

Look here http://gmatclub.com/blog/courses/knewto ... e/?fl=menu -you will lso see some promo codes. Visit their site http://www.knewton.com/gmat/pricing/ they have a promo until Aug 26th.
I can't locate now the thread in which guys provided their feedback about the course, but for me it was good (I improved by more than 50 points).

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 10:06
Pkit wrote:

Look here http://gmatclub.com/blog/courses/knewto ... e/?fl=menu -you will lso see some promo codes. Visit their site http://www.knewton.com/gmat/pricing/ they have a promo until Aug 26th.
I can't locate now the thread in which guys provided their feedback about the course, but for me it was good (I improved by more than 50 points).

thanx Pkit

Aim 720+

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 04:41
Getting ready for Gmat this October and am still filled up with so many questions and worse of all every time I feel I`m getting right on track the next day comes up with too many new thing to go through with and I start to feel frustrated.
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2011, 04:41