Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 07:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 20:05
Hi Guys,

I am relatively new to GMATCLUB and was wondering if someone can provide me with suggestions. I studied for GMAT for about 5 weeks, averaging 4 hours a day. I took GMAT and scored 700 (Q49,V36). Quant has never been an issue for me, I have never scored less than 49. The thing that is holding be back from a great score is verbal. I went through the Manhattan GMAT books last time and tried most of the Official guide problems. For me the main problems is keeping a balance between speed and accuracy. In the actual test, I had 20 minutes left for last 25 verbal questions and that is where I lost my hopes for 730+ score. I have a very good work experience, great GPA from a good undergraduate institue and average extra curiculars. I have been advised my mutiple admission consultants to retake GMAT because they think that my GMAT score is the only thing that can stand between me and top schools.

I will really appreciate if you guys can provide me with some guidance. I am planning to apply this year in R2. If you need any information to understand my case, please feel free to reply here or PM me.

Thanks a lot !
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 08:26
Hi Cognizant 2001,

You have a good score to take you to any school (ISB could be a little tough though) At this score, what would differentiate is the quality of work experience or academics. Having a great GPA would really help, and if you can differentiate yourself among other candidates you would be able to make it. If you are an Indian IT male, it might be more difficult to differentiate than if you are an Indian female in manufacturing/infrastructure/energy.
Schools look for diversity and candidates who are not a liability when it comes to placements; and if you can sufficiently educate the ad-com people on these two aspects in your application, you would be able to make it to any of the schools you aim for. Maybe you could try using MAP of mbacrystalball.com to quantify your current application strength.

Regards,

cognizant2001 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am relatively new to GMATCLUB and was wondering if someone can provide me with suggestions. I studied for GMAT for about 5 weeks, averaging 4 hours a day. I took GMAT and scored 700 (Q49,V36). Quant has never been an issue for me, I have never scored less than 49. The thing that is holding be back from a great score is verbal. I went through the Manhattan GMAT books last time and tried most of the Official guide problems. For me the main problems is keeping a balance between speed and accuracy. In the actual test, I had 20 minutes left for last 25 verbal questions and that is where I lost my hopes for 730+ score. I have a very good work experience, great GPA from a good undergraduate institue and average extra curiculars. I have been advised my mutiple admission consultants to retake GMAT because they think that my GMAT score is the only thing that can stand between me and top schools.

I will really appreciate if you guys can provide me with some guidance. I am planning to apply this year in R2. If you need any information to understand my case, please feel free to reply here or PM me.

Thanks a lot !

GMAT: 750 Q51 V40
GMAT Prep1: 740 Q50 V40 ; GMAT Prep2: 760 Q49 V44; MGMAT1: 700 Q48 V37; Kaptest: 710 Q47 V41; GMAT Prep3: 760 Q50 V44
10-days-before-the-gmat-103450.html

Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 19:31
Hi Rajadi,

Thanks for your encouraging words. I see you have a great verbal score, do you have any suggestions for me to further improve my verbal skills ?

Also, do a lot of GMATCLUB members trust and use that MAP feature you mentioned ? I haven't used it till now but will certainly be inclined to do so if it is a credible thing.

I really appreciate your reply !

Thanks a lot !
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 22:23
Nice thread..quite inspirational +1

inspirational...

Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 23:28
Dear Cognizant2001,

The basic trick with GMAT as you already know is managing speed vs accuracy. I have a decent verbal score like yours, I also missed out on a great score for I entered late in the examination centre, hurried up 10 Qs after the 1st 10 Qs to cover-up on time.

As for MAP, I ain't sure how many GMAT Club members have used it. I've used it, one of my friend has used it (he is in Cambridge now with 700 GMAT); you could check out 'mba crystall ball' facebook page, to gain a better idea.

All the best,

GMAT Prep1: 740 Q50 V40 ; GMAT Prep2: 760 Q49 V44; MGMAT1: 700 Q48 V37; Kaptest: 710 Q47 V41; GMAT Prep3: 760 Q50 V44

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 75

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 01:05
took the test todat
totally collapsed ...440
past GMAT scores-420,330
what to do , want to crack GMAT

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 10:41
rajadi wrote:
Dear Cognizant2001,

The basic trick with GMAT as you already know is managing speed vs accuracy. I have a decent verbal score like yours, I also missed out on a great score for I entered late in the examination centre, hurried up 10 Qs after the 1st 10 Qs to cover-up on time.

As for MAP, I ain't sure how many GMAT Club members have used it. I've used it, one of my friend has used it (he is in Cambridge now with 700 GMAT); you could check out 'mba crystall ball' facebook page, to gain a better idea.

All the best,

Hi Rajdi,

I would surely look at the crystall ball page. Thanks for your replies.

Thanks,
Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 10:45
thevenus wrote:
took the test todat
totally collapsed ...440
past GMAT scores-420,330
what to do , want to crack GMAT

Hi thevenus,

I think people on the forum will be able to help you much better if you can provide more information on "What have you done so far ?", I mean how you studied last time, what tests you took, how much you scored in them, the test experience (did you get too nervous ?) etc.

All the best,
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 11:10
cognizant2001 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot !

I am in a VERY similar boat and also got a 700, but feel I can do better, in the verbal section especially. Since I decided to hold off on school for a year or two, I figure it is worth a try to take the GMAT again and see if I can really hone my verbal skills and strategies.

But you do sound like you have a great application package and I am certain you would be a fairly strong candidate if you focus on the other areas and really sell yourself to the adcoms.

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 15:38
jeprince112 wrote:
cognizant2001 wrote:
I am in a VERY similar boat and also got a 700, but feel I can do better, in the verbal section especially. Since I decided to hold off on school for a year or two, I figure it is worth a try to take the GMAT again and see if I can really hone my verbal skills and strategies.

But you do sound like you have a great application package and I am certain you would be a fairly strong candidate if you focus on the other areas and really sell yourself to the adcoms.

Hi jeprince112,

I too beleive that I can do much better in Verbal, but, am also sure that I will have to study for 3-4 weeks atleast before I start seeing 20-30 point improvement. Before I took the real test, based on my 5-6 week long preparation, I took several mock tests and noticed that I had reached a saturation point. By "saturation point" I mean, my scores had stopped fluctuating drastically, quant would vary between 49-51, verbal between 36-40 and agregate between 690 - 730. This is one of the reasons why I am debating so much about retake, a saturation point normally indicates that a considerable amount of work would need to be done to increase the score further.
May be if I study for 4 more weeks, I can get to like 720-740 range but I am really not sure if thats worth the effort given the time constraints.

I beleive a lot of test takers must have noticed the "saturation point" thing.

All the best !
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 19:40
Yes i know the point of which you speak. I figure i took mine a year ago and didnt read all the strategy books out there like mgmat... So figure i will giveit a shot. And i may apply next year to schools, so i have time. Yes if you recently took test and applying this year... Id say focus on the rest of your app. 700 is still strong and above most schools' avgs

Posted from my mobile device Image

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 09:44
I took the gmat today and managed to score 700( q49, v37). However I am not satisfied and believe i can get 740( got 730 and 740 in gmatprep 1 and 2). Was really tired towards the end and the last 15 minutes of verbal section I could not concentrate much.( should have written essays during the mock CATs :cry: )

I want to ask that would it be worth it to take the gmat again for these 30- 40 points?

As I am in the Indian IT male category, I should retake according to this thread.

really confused right now.
Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 11:48
Hey Brar,

not sure how many mock tests you did, but if you did only 2, then I think it is better to give more mock tests which will bring consistency.
Further, you need to wait for sometime, before you can retake the exam. If you are applying within this year, and think the rest of the app can be prepared, it would be better to apply now, as all deadlines are approaching.
However, if you think you could wait till next year or want to risk scholarships by applying in later rounds, or you can't build-up the app, then look at taking at least 5-6 mock tests before the retake

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 23:09
Thanks a lot Rajadi. I gave 6 mock CATS but only once wrote the essays(gmatprep1).

I have decided to stick with this score only for this year as not much time is left for round 2.

If I don't make it to a preferred school this year then ill take the gmat again next year.
Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 08:18
brar wrote:
Thanks a lot Rajadi. I gave 6 mock CATS but only once wrote the essays(gmatprep1).

I have decided to stick with this score only for this year as not much time is left for round 2.

If I don't make it to a preferred school this year then ill take the gmat again next year.

I will echo what Rajadi said, given a certain amount of preparation, enough mock tests will take you to a point of consistency. To move beyond this point, you will have to study more and strategize your potentials.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 11:25
In desperate need for advice, I write this post.

I am applying to HBS round 2, and HBS only. I sincerely do not want to go anywhere else. The following are my credentials:

NYU undergrad with 3.8 GPA (B.A. in Economics), Investment Banking 2 years, Private Equity 2 years, GMAT 710 (77% in math!), hopefully good recommendations and a pretty picture to paint in the essays.

Getting a 710 in GMAT was fine, but as an asian male (as stereotypical as this might sound), a 77% in math hurt me more than a punch below the belt. I took the GMAT 3 years ago before I started full time employment for the simple reason to not have to worry about the GMAT ever again; unfortunately, after 1 month of intense studying, plowing through sample questions, destroying practice tests (avg. of 740 in MGMAT and other practice tests), I tripped big time in the math section. During practice tests, I would get approx. 90-92% in math and 90-92% in verbal; so a 77% in verbal nearly made me want to vomit on the keyboard at the test center.

3 years later, I stand here contemplating whether this 77% is going to bite my butt. I have been preparing for a rematch with the GMAT for approx. 2 months now, but I find it a bit difficult to juggle GMAT, application, and work. Currently I score around 720 in practice tests, but I have 750+ as my goal.

So before I get more carried away with this post, my final questions are - am I wasting my time prepping for a GMAT retake? In the case of rejection from HBS, would that 77% in math be a culprit?

I take negative yet constructive criticism very well, so please feel free to give your two cents.

Thank you very much in advance.
Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM, ISB, & XLRI
WE 1: B.Tech (Information Technology)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2011, 07:09
Hi,

Here I come again with not so heart breaking and not to be happy about GMAT score "630" :( I had secured 550 in my earlier attempt so my new score is a pay off of my struggle from past 3 months. However, since I am aiming for ISB and XLRI 630 seems way too less :(

Now I am left with 4 options:
1. Apply to premier institutes and pray to be called for next round.
2. Apply for a lower grade B School and live with a question "Why can't I enter 700+ Club"
3. Re-visit my GMAT plan and try to beat the monster next time.
4. Forget about GMAT.

I would highly appreciate all suggestions and remarks.

However, I would still like to thank gmatclub for all encouraging emails due to which I am still motivated and able to write this post.

Thank you,
Hemant

GMAT is an addiction and I am darn addicted

Preparation for final battel:
GMAT PREP-1 750 Q50 V41 - Oct 16 2011
GMAT PREP-2 710 Q50 V36 - Oct 22 2011 ==> Scored 50 in Quant second time in a row :-)
MGMAT---- -1 560 Q28 V39 - Oct 29 2011 ==> Left Quant half done and continued with Verbal. Happy to see Q39 :-)

My ongoing plan: http://gmatclub.com/forum/550-to-630-need-more-to-achieve-my-dream-121613.html#p989311

Appreciate by kudos !!

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 00:21
Hi,
just gave the GMAT and scored 610 :x though I was scoring pretty better than that in practice tests (avg. 700). I am planning to give it after a month and have other entrance exams in the same period. I may not be able to prepare well for GMAT but still want to give it a shot because I want to apply for ISB this year.

Well my question is does it really matter how many GMAT attempts one has given and how they have scored. Colleges receive score of all the GMAT one has taken. So a report which says scores are 610 , 670, 700+ leave a bad impression and impact the application? Is it fine to have 3 GMAT scores...?

Waiting for a reply.

Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM, ISB, & XLRI
WE 1: B.Tech (Information Technology)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 02:18
ans261186 wrote:
Hi,
just gave the GMAT and scored 610 :x though I was scoring pretty better than that in practice tests (avg. 700). I am planning to give it after a month and have other entrance exams in the same period. I may not be able to prepare well for GMAT but still want to give it a shot because I want to apply for ISB this year.

Well my question is does it really matter how many GMAT attempts one has given and how they have scored. Colleges receive score of all the GMAT one has taken. So a report which says scores are 610 , 670, 700+ leave a bad impression and impact the application? Is it fine to have 3 GMAT scores...?

Waiting for a reply.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I dont think there is any issue with multiple GMAT scores with ISB because it considers best score. Another thing is your profile with a strong profile you can negotiate a lil bit on GMAT score (about 670+).

I gathered this info. from various sources and hope it will help you :-)

BTW - Do analyse your weakness prior engaging in another encounter.

Good Luck !!

GMAT is an addiction and I am darn addicted

Preparation for final battel:
GMAT PREP-1 750 Q50 V41 - Oct 16 2011
GMAT PREP-2 710 Q50 V36 - Oct 22 2011 ==> Scored 50 in Quant second time in a row :-)
MGMAT---- -1 560 Q28 V39 - Oct 29 2011 ==> Left Quant half done and continued with Verbal. Happy to see Q39 :-)

My ongoing plan: http://gmatclub.com/forum/550-to-630-need-more-to-achieve-my-dream-121613.html#p989311

Appreciate by kudos !!

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 21:34
Thanks a lot Hemant, that was encouraging. :)

Well would also like to know that how would multiple score impact selection in other colleges outside India. Having 3-4 scores is seen as negative or simply it doest not matter at all.

Thanks.
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2011, 21:34