Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 09:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 10:56
Santanu76 wrote:
Yes, 720 is good enough for ISB, if you do okay in the interview. If you are targeting a scholarship, though, you may have to stretch the score a bit. But, I believe it is good enough for admission.

Thanks

Ray.

I love the smell of KUDOS +1 in the morning. :)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
"I have a mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it." - Groucho M.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 08:15
Hi

I took the exam this tuesday and scored 660 (42/39). I will certainly retake the exam once I intend to apply to round 3 LBS and I understand that my score should be at least 700 to do so.
But I would like to share my experience with you guys and ask for some opinions.

During the test day I faced the following problems:

The beginning of the test delayed in 1 hour. The test was schedule to 17/01 2:00 pm but it started after 3 pm;
The keyboard was awful and I had a hard time to write the essays;
The place was extremely noisy (it’s a business office with a classroom beside it, and once the test delayed it coincided with the begging of a regular class with people coming and going all the time);
The verbal part was interrupted after approximately 40 minutes due to a system problem (the system got locked) and I waited about 30 minutes outside the test room to continue the test.

I really want to ask GMAC to cancel/disregard my test in order to retake it.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 11:32
Although I think you can request GMAC for that but I seriously doubt whether they will do so. My suggestion will be just move on and forget about the past. Since you want to go for it again just put your effort for a better score. Also you did not mention your GMAT prep scores. That could have been a yardstick. If possible choose an alternate center next time.

Ray.

I love the smell of KUDOS +1 in the morning. :)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
"I have a mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it." - Groucho M.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Other
Schools: University of Wisconsin (Madison) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.66
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 12

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2012, 19:00
My first GMAT practice (non-CAT w/ Kaplan - free thing at a local college) ended up at 580 - scary for someone who is not used to scoring outside of the 90% percentile in any test.

I took the GMAT a month later after some hard self-studying and scored a 680 (46Q / 38V). Not happy with the score but not terribly dissatisfied (and very tired of studying), I did not want to retake the exam. My wife ended up talking me into a second try after I stepped away for a week. I am applying to only one school but want to earn a scholarship (which the school has admitted is largely based on GMAT, although admission is not as much).

With a little bit of tutoring on advanced quantitative topics and an actual test plan the second time around I scored a 760 (48Q / 46V) 32 days later. My trick for me was to really SLOW DOWN and focus on the Verbal. I finished the verbal section far too quickly the first time and lost focus. The second time I took a few "mini-breaks", closing my eyes for a minute or so at regular intervals - this helped quite a bit.

My unsolicited advice - Always bet on yourself.
Affiliations: IIT Alumni Association, ISB Alumni Association
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 45

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 27

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 05:27
Congrats on a great score, nsspaz!

Would be great if you could share your GMAT experience in a debrief format under a new topic, if you have the time - would be pretty helpful to readers here.

Santanu

A KUDO A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY

Introducing Best Debrief Writer & Contributor of the Month!: introducing-best-debrief-writer-contributor-of-the-month-127355.html
My GMAT debrief: gmat-760-50-q-42-v-satisfied-124675.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 20:27
Naspaz

I think even if one were to select no schools to report to in the second attempt, when the schools s/he had sent the first scores to check his GMAT score, they would be shown both scores and not one.

However, if the person's application has already been reviewed by the school concerned and his first GMAT score checked, and the candidate believes a punt on a second attempt might beef up his chances, then probably taking the GMAT on the sly may help - he can then only intimate the school if he has been able to increae his score - not otherwise.

Introducing Best Debrief Writer & Contributor of the Month!: introducing-best-debrief-writer-contributor-of-the-month-127355.html

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 04:41
Took the GMAT on a whim after graduating college in '09...scored 680 with about one month of preparation. Study "plan" if you could call it that consisted mostly of whatever study books I could find at the college library.

Flash forward three years, and now I'm pretty sure I'll be applying this coming fall for matriculation in Fall of '13. I have a more comprehensive study plan this time (MGMAT Guides, OGs, etc.), and three months of study time. Also, I discovered GMAT Club, which has been an invaluable tool in mapping out my schedule.

I will be disappointed with anything less than 700, and have a goal of 730+. Time to get crackin'!

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2012, 02:52
All the best for your GMAT Preps, jazzman!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2012, 04:13
Yes, I am thinking taking a G-MAT test
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2012, 11:43
Keep going until you get a good score
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.45
WE: Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 41

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 03:43
This will be helpful wen I take the test 2 months from now! Appreciate!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2276

Kudos [?]: 8795 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 10:20
Expert's post
Just posted an update in the first post from GMAC Research on retaking. Some interesting numbers
Attachments

retaking-gmat.jpg
retaking-gmat.jpg [ 26.53 KiB | Viewed 3016 times ]

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 10:35
Hi BB,
i gave GMAT on 28 March 2012 and scored 630 (Q46, V31). I have given GMAT in sept 2011 also and score 620 (Q46, V30). Last time i had not given any prep tests apart from GMATPrep n my study material was not sufficient and correct.. So this time i used OG 12th edition + MGMAT Sc guide + MGMAT CR guide + Powerscore CR bible. i practiced almost all the GMATPrep questions on MGMAT forums. OG questions i practiced so many time that answer were by heart. I gave mock tests , following are my scores:
Kaplan : 570.
GMATPrep 620
MGMAT: 690
GmatPrep 660
Powerscore GMAT: 670
MGMAT : 660
MGMAT: 650
MGMAT 620( test was disturbed by many things so i dun wanna count this one)

i gave all my mock test in real GMAT situation. i practiced verbal very hard this time, trying to understand every concept. My strike rate of GMATPrep questions n OG questions by the end was roughly 17/20 for CR and 18-19/20 for SC. while giving thereal GMAT exam i thought that verbal is going well n i will atleast score 670.. However when the score popped up it was 630. There was no anxiety, no missed questions, no randon guesses. While doing the exam i marked all the answers after reasoning them out n i beleived whatever i am selecting is write.
i am clueless why this happened.May be after all the studies my understanding itself was not correct. I am clueless as to what to do next, should i give GMAT again because my score is just the same second time also, i dont know if third time it wil increase or may become 640. May be i dont know what i am doing wrong specially in verbal. i want to have atleast 690 to apply to colleges i want. i need some advice on what to do next...
Tanya
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2276

Kudos [?]: 8795 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 10:46
Expert's post
I think since there could be up to a 40-point error in the GMAT score (where it over or under estimates your abilities) you want to have at least 700+ on GMAT prep or other tests. You probably were not ready to go to take the exam if you were getting 660's and needed 690.

I do not see why you were expecting 670. None of your last 3-4 scores were over 660 except the powerscore. I think you need to bush up on the fundamentals of the Verbal and beef up your quant (you can get it up to 49 without too much struggle). If you can get your Reading/SC/CR up a bit, you can reach the 700.

I would recommend the MGMAT Verbal Foundations and MGMAT Roadmap.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 20

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 07:53
Hi BB,

I just took my GMAT and scored 660. I did miss out on two questions in the Verbal section and believe that this mishap killed my score.

From preparation side, i was always confident on scoring good. I loved studying English material and was able to crack most of the questions. Although, i did not have a habit of classifying problems of SC into different categories, i still was able to differentiate between right and wrong choices, probably because i am an avid reader.

But i am confused on what happened on the exam day. With Quant, I was always scoring in the range 40-48 and replicated the same in the real test. However, i believe i can do better. Maybe need more practice.

My preparation was not very structured but i did cover everything. I finished OG12, kaplan 800, and a lot of other material that i found on several sites including GMATCLUB. I relied heavily on the GMATCLUB Math book also.

In the two full length tests i gave - GmatPrep, i scored 720 and 680. In addition to this, i did give a lot of section tests to improve my verbal score, and it did improve. I was getting a score of 50 in the last few section tests i gave (800score). But as i said, i don't know what happened exactly on the exam day.

I need your advise on whether i should retake the exam and if yes, what should be my preparation strategy. I want it to be more structured this time. I was checking a few links you posted on the first page and a particular one - From 640 to 770 inspired me a lot. And hence, i decided to post this query. I have been quite averse about writing my thoughts on any forum and relied heavily on the already written responses but i guess it needs to change.

Let me know your thoughts.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 06:37
Hi,

I took GMAT last week and scored a 700. I used the Manhattan series books(SC,CR,RC) and Powerscore (CR) along with OG 12 and Nova maths.

Following are test scores in the Manhattan tests

Manhattan 1: 680
Manhattan 2: 680
Manhattan 3: 680
I prepared for a month and took the remaining tests
Manhattan 4: 720
Manhattan 5: 720
Manhattan 6: 740

on exam day which was one day after Manhattan test, I score 700 (48,38) .
I am planning to retake the test in July and am wondering if enrolling in Knewton will be a good idea? On one hand I am excited about their 50 point guarantee - for me that means 750 or money back, but on the other hand I am worried as I have not seen some people around 700 using Knewton a lot. Those who have have not many good things to say!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 08:16
Great analysis. I got a 690 at the end of 2010 but my Q score was 70% percentile so I decided I will retake the GMAT in 4 months. I am applying Round 1 in 2013 so I have more than enough time to bring up the Q score.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
WE: Editorial and Writing (Non-Profit and Government)

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 12:31
I'm trying to decide if I should retake. I took the GMAT today and scored a 660 (42v, 36q), well below where I have been scoring on practice exams, but better than the last time I took the exam (about a month and a half ago) when I took the exam on 2 hrs of sleep and got a 630. Here are my scores on my most recent tests:
MGMAT: 710 (44q, 42v)
MGMAT: 710 (43q, 44v)
GMAT Prep: 710 (40q, 44v)
GMAT Prep 680 (37q, 45v)

I went to a top-5 school, where I had a fairly mediocre (3.15) GPA but am female and mixed race (Caucasian, Native American, and African-American). I come from a non-finance background (I work in defense).

Do I have any shot of getting into anywhere good with this profile? Or is it worth it to gamble with the new GMAT format and take it again? Any suggestions for tackling another retake?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 33

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 03:09
got 710 thinking of improving it further. planning for a test.. albeit with the new format :)
Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 50

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2012, 08:19
I used MGMAT and GMATPrep for my first attempt?

Which tests should one use for the second attempt?
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 01 Jun 2012, 08:19