Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2012
Posts: 41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 06:39
this is a great post thanks!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2012
Posts: 3
Location: Syrian Arab Republic
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 370 Q25 V17
GMAT 2: 510 Q44 V17
GPA: 2.66
WE: Other (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2012, 01:25
Hello every body,

My name is Meis, I have over 6 years of banking experience in finance & compliance, I have a bachelor in Economic, I got a scholarship that covers a tuition fees of 32,500 Euro for an International MBA program in English in a big university in Netherlands, but I still didn't get the admission ( I know it usualy goes in the other way -admission then scholarship) however, one of the required documents was a GMAT score of 500+, i prepared for GMAT only for 2-3 weeks and I took the exam first time on April 24, 2012 and as in the title, i got only 370 as following Quantitative: 24- Verbal :17 and the Analytical Writing was 5.0 , though in the preparation test of GMAT i achieved 470, so It was shocking results for me to get only 370, all my preparation was using GMAC official software and the practice tests included.
The university gave me another chance and asked me to retake the exam, I assigned a date to be on June 29, which is in 8 days, will be traveling to a neighbor country to take the exam since there is no exam center in my country.
I have the VERITAS Preparation materials am using to study, I already completed "Data Sufficiency, Arithmetic, geometry" in quantitative and "Critical Reasoning 1" in verbal, I already started studying " sentence correction" and I will try to complete another book in math, I am not an English speaker, so i will try to concentrate more on quantitative than spending much time on verbal.
Ay body has a final advice i can use in the few days left? considering that i still didn't complete another practice test yet, tomorrow i will try the practice tests on the new GMAT software.?


Your comments and recommendations are highly appreciated!

Best regards,
Meis
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 04-30-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 06:25
I wanted to give my two cents on retaking. I took the test for first time (after about 4 and half months of studying) and got a 710 (46Q, 40V). Verbal had always been my strength and on most of my practice test I was getting 42-46. I got overly stressed on the verbal section and didn't finish, which had never happened before. I knew I could do better than a 40 on verbal. Most people advise you to stay with a 710 but for me it was the difference between being average/below average at the best schools or slightly above average. I was also very aware of how devastating it would be if I retook and got a worse score.

I signed up to retake the test exactly 31 days later. I took for the first time on 4/30 and the second time on 5/31. After taking the test on 4/30 I took a solid ten days off from studying. After a 10 days I took a practice test , just to see where I was. After about 2 weeks I started studying again, but was pretty limited in time and energy by the amount of work I had to do at my job. Still I did my best to stay fresh on the material. I didn’t study anything new. I knew going into the first test that I had what I needed to do to get the score I wanted, I just underperformed on test day. My goal was just to maintain the knowledge I did have going into the second test. I took a second practice 4 days before test day and then pretty called it quits, studying maybe an hour during the days before the test/looking over AWA stuff. Going into the test center for the second time, I just did my best to control my stress level. What hurt me most the first time was getting stressed out and getting outside myself. I tried to stay focused, relaxed, and took the test like I had on so many practice tests. Maintained the exact same quant score (46) and improved verbal 4 points to 44 to get the 730 I was shooting for.

People advise you not to retake if you’re not looking to bump your score by 50 points and have a 700+ already. For me, I knew I could do better and that controllable situations (pen running out of ink, stress levels) contributed to the score I was disappointed in.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2011
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2012, 11:08
I hope you are well. I scored an absolutely horrendous 350 when I first took the GMAT 5-6 years ago. I scored that again in May 0f 2011, primarily because I had to guess on the last 7-8 of each section. I took the MGMAT course in January and feel that I am not any more prepared to face the GMAT than I was before I took the course. So, I can take the course again for $400 or Veritas prep online for $1035.
I noticed the Veritas books publication date is Dec 09 while MGMAT books were updated in April 2012. Veritas advised they would release new books next month (potentially mid-August 2012).
I am desperately look the finally conqueror the GMAT. I feel that a course would provide the baseline while my homework problems would fill in the gaps. However, that somehow didn’t happen the first time
I would appreciate any suggestions....Would it be worth it to take the Veritas class for $635 more??? As much as I work, it seems that the once a week classes from MGMAT fit my schedule better than twice a week classes with Veritas. However, at this point, I am fully committed to being my nemesis, the GMAT. Is the Veritas curriculum that much better the MGMAT?? Thank you for your time as I truly appreciate any and all feedback.
A sincere thank you to you.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2012
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 01:48
Hi Guys
I scored 680 on my GMAT on 31 July (Q50, V33).I was targetting 720 +.I was aghast to see the score.I am not a native English speaker.
When I first gave my diagnostic I got 640 (Q46, V31) So I concentrated on Verbal.But still my verbal score did not increase much.
In verbal I covered Manhattan SC, Aristotle Grail( RC and SC but not high difficut passages of RC), CR power prep, OG 10,11,12,13 and also gone through GMAT Club forum many times for SC.However I covered all these materials very fast (OG 13 covered just one day before test as most questions were covered in OG 12) as I was targetting one of the schools in India with last date of application 10th August.I studied for 2 months (I am working).When I gave Manhattan Mock CAT, I found that most of the questions were from OGs.So I could get score of 730, verbal 45 on Manhattan (third attempt).I knew this was due to repeat question but still I was hopeful of getting at least 38 in verbal of actual GMAT, but I did not get.
My test pattern
GMATprep Diadnostic 640
Kaplan 550
Kaplan 600
after this I left kaplan as I felt RC in kaplan was way too tough
Manhattan diagnostic 670
manhattan 1 710 (Q48, V 38)
manhattan 2 730 (Q45,V45)
I feel I bugged the SC portion (however not sure).
I studied more than 7 hours for last 15 days (as I was trying to cover Quants well, I had left too much material to be covered last minute and also because of the false impression that I got from Manhattan Mock tests that I have improved my verbal).Maybe this has caused burnout and stress.However I dont feel I was much stressed during test.
I also rushed through the Verbal section ( 16 min remaining for last three question) Maybe this is the reason.

One thing I found that the SCs I encountered during actual GMAT was very diffrent from what I had been practising in OGs, GMATClub etc.Maybe I was trying to cover large amount of matter without in-depth conceptual understanding of subject (grammer, usage etc)
Guys pls help. I am thinking to take GMAT again in sept last week.(Another School sept 31 last date)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2012
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 06:30
bery goog in reading. keep posting like this
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 May 2012
Posts: 18
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 17:12
I just got a score of 720 (Q46, V42). I am planning to apply for finance program in Stern and columbia schools where the average GMAT score is around 720. I am an Indian with Masters in CSE working in IT for past 5 years. I perfectly fit the typical Indian IT male candidate. but my score is unusual when compared to other candidates with similar background in that I have strong verbal score (42, 96%) and an average Quant score (46, 71%). will it be helpful in differentiating myself with other candidates or should I retake the exam?


Thanks,
Aditya
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2012
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 01:44
How I changed a 680 to a 760 on GMAT in 45 days

GMAT 760 (Q49 V44) debrief

After around two month of preparation and numerous practice tests, I took my first GMAT on 23rd June’12. I ended up scoring a, what I called “not good but reasonable”, 680(q47 v37).
Being an Indian Applicant, I knew somewhere that it was definitely a below par score and that I will need to work very hard to churn out exceptional essays to even stand a chance of an interview call from any of the top US B-schools. I was massively disappointed with my Quant performance coming from an engineering background from a very reputed Institute in Pune, India. Somewhere I knew I could do at least slightly better if not something seriously over the top.
I was readying myself for the Essays part when I heard of MBAdream.in. In my first conversation with Rahul there, he came across as a person who’s been there and done that, what he is actually in fact. I expressed my disappointment with my first GMAT score and he gave me a logic that turned out to be the final nail in the coffin of my first GMAT attempt.
Rahul asked me the score I expected of myself before the exam, which to me was anywhere in the 700-720 range. He then asked me to divide the additional expense I will have to bear just because I scored lesser than my expectations with the difference in expected score and actual score. At 680 GMAT, with very low chances of scholarships from top schools, I was staring at an additional expense of anywhere between INR 20-30 Lacs. Each mark had cost me at least a lakh rupees. It is this realization that pushed me to retake the test and I booked a slot for 18th Aug’12, approx a month’s time away from when I talked to Rahul. During the entire month of preparation, talking to Rahul kept me going at the target of getting myself ready. He kept on highlighting the importance of a higher GMAT Score.
This time I had no nerves and had a better understanding of the test and experience of an actual test. All I had to do was raise my verbal score significantly and perform on quant to my natural ability. Over the next month, I went through RC99 and Aristotle SC document and defined clear strategies for the CR section. Earlier I had believed that CR was all instinctive and in RC, the passage was not worth a second glace while answering. These two things precisely led to my downfall. Corrected these two basic errors in my approach and I was ready for it.
I gave 5 tests on my way to the actual test day, one every weekend and one somewhere in the middle. Following are the scores. Don’t have the break-ups in my study log though.

GMAT prep1 – 730
Manhattan GMAT1 – 730
Manhattan GMAT2 – 660 (don’t know how!!)
Manhattan GMAT1 – 740
GMAT prep2 – 740

A 740 on the official test prep just a day before the d-day gave me a lot of confidence and I didn’t look at a single document that day after the test. Didn’t even analyze my errors. Just chilled out and hoped that I’d be at least this good on the test.
On the test day, as I had an afternoon slot, lazed around till around 12.30 in the afternoon and started for the test center. I was anxious but nowhere close to the anxiety levels of the first test. I knew I had nothing to loose, except for the additional money I had paid in retaking the test of course 

When it started, I breezed through the Argument and IR and waited patiently during the break to take on Quant. I had repeated the MBAdream logic to myself on numerous occasions but I replayed it once again in my head. That was all I had ever needed.
Frankly, I remember neither a single question nor a single minute of the next 158 minutes of my life. And when the screen hanged to calculate the score, I’m sure I skipped a heartbeat. But when the score flashed, I could breath again. The shoulders were lighter and world seemed like a better place all of a sudden. I had aced the GMAT, at least by my standards. A neat 760 was right there in front of me. Although Quant still showed an average 49, I couldn’t have asked for more on Verbal (V44), and I could most definitely not complain about the overall score.

Came out of the test centre and called Rahul #firstthing! He was as elated as an elder brother would be. We knew we had at least made it easier on the pocket.
In customary MBAdream style, he said, “Bhai tu mane ya na mane, teri aaj ki kamaai kam se kam 10-15 laakh rupaye hai, Congrats!!”.  I shared the same feeling.

I’m still in the midst application process, but for all that has come to pass, I thank MBAdream and Rahul for the support I’ve got till date and hope that it continues in the future. At the same time, I wish MBAdream loads of success and all the luck they need in time to come.

I know this isn’t exactly the kind of debrief most aspirants look out for or most people pen down once their exam is done. But for me, after reaching 680 in the first attempt, it was all about that last push I needed to decide on retaking the GMAT. I feel that after a certain point, the GMAT doesn’t really test your knowledge but it checks your confidence and strategy, if you have any, to take the test. If one can cover those two bases, the GMAT isn’t really a big deal.

So anyone who is mulling on retaking the test may play the MBAdream logic to themselves or get in touch with Rahul or me if you need to. Irrespective of whether or not I land a big Fish next fall, this GMAT experience will stay with me forever, reminding me of the famous Edison quote, “Many of life’s failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”

Cheers and best luck in all your quests.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 6
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 08-28-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 21:24
sumit2423 wrote:
How I changed a 680 to a 760 on GMAT in 45 days

GMAT 760 (Q49 V44) debrief

After around two month of preparation and numerous practice tests, I took my first GMAT on 23rd June’12. I ended up scoring a, what I called “not good but reasonable”, 680(q47 v37).
Being an Indian Applicant, I knew somewhere that it was definitely a below par score and that I will need to work very hard to churn out exceptional essays to even stand a chance of an interview call from any of the top US B-schools. I was massively disappointed with my Quant performance coming from an engineering background from a very reputed Institute in Pune, India. Somewhere I knew I could do at least slightly better if not something seriously over the top.
I was readying myself for the Essays part when I heard of MBAdream.in. In my first conversation with Rahul there, he came across as a person who’s been there and done that, what he is actually in fact. I expressed my disappointment with my first GMAT score and he gave me a logic that turned out to be the final nail in the coffin of my first GMAT attempt.
Rahul asked me the score I expected of myself before the exam, which to me was anywhere in the 700-720 range. He then asked me to divide the additional expense I will have to bear just because I scored lesser than my expectations with the difference in expected score and actual score. At 680 GMAT, with very low chances of scholarships from top schools, I was staring at an additional expense of anywhere between INR 20-30 Lacs. Each mark had cost me at least a lakh rupees. It is this realization that pushed me to retake the test and I booked a slot for 18th Aug’12, approx a month’s time away from when I talked to Rahul. During the entire month of preparation, talking to Rahul kept me going at the target of getting myself ready. He kept on highlighting the importance of a higher GMAT Score.
This time I had no nerves and had a better understanding of the test and experience of an actual test. All I had to do was raise my verbal score significantly and perform on quant to my natural ability. Over the next month, I went through RC99 and Aristotle SC document and defined clear strategies for the CR section. Earlier I had believed that CR was all instinctive and in RC, the passage was not worth a second glace while answering. These two things precisely led to my downfall. Corrected these two basic errors in my approach and I was ready for it.
I gave 5 tests on my way to the actual test day, one every weekend and one somewhere in the middle. Following are the scores. Don’t have the break-ups in my study log though.

GMAT prep1 – 730
Manhattan GMAT1 – 730
Manhattan GMAT2 – 660 (don’t know how!!)
Manhattan GMAT1 – 740
GMAT prep2 – 740

A 740 on the official test prep just a day before the d-day gave me a lot of confidence and I didn’t look at a single document that day after the test. Didn’t even analyze my errors. Just chilled out and hoped that I’d be at least this good on the test.
On the test day, as I had an afternoon slot, lazed around till around 12.30 in the afternoon and started for the test center. I was anxious but nowhere close to the anxiety levels of the first test. I knew I had nothing to loose, except for the additional money I had paid in retaking the test of course 

When it started, I breezed through the Argument and IR and waited patiently during the break to take on Quant. I had repeated the MBAdream logic to myself on numerous occasions but I replayed it once again in my head. That was all I had ever needed.
Frankly, I remember neither a single question nor a single minute of the next 158 minutes of my life. And when the screen hanged to calculate the score, I’m sure I skipped a heartbeat. But when the score flashed, I could breath again. The shoulders were lighter and world seemed like a better place all of a sudden. I had aced the GMAT, at least by my standards. A neat 760 was right there in front of me. Although Quant still showed an average 49, I couldn’t have asked for more on Verbal (V44), and I could most definitely not complain about the overall score.

Came out of the test centre and called Rahul #firstthing! He was as elated as an elder brother would be. We knew we had at least made it easier on the pocket.
In customary MBAdream style, he said, “Bhai tu mane ya na mane, teri aaj ki kamaai kam se kam 10-15 laakh rupaye hai, Congrats!!”.  I shared the same feeling.

I’m still in the midst application process, but for all that has come to pass, I thank MBAdream and Rahul for the support I’ve got till date and hope that it continues in the future. At the same time, I wish MBAdream loads of success and all the luck they need in time to come.

I know this isn’t exactly the kind of debrief most aspirants look out for or most people pen down once their exam is done. But for me, after reaching 680 in the first attempt, it was all about that last push I needed to decide on retaking the GMAT. I feel that after a certain point, the GMAT doesn’t really test your knowledge but it checks your confidence and strategy, if you have any, to take the test. If one can cover those two bases, the GMAT isn’t really a big deal.

So anyone who is mulling on retaking the test may play the MBAdream logic to themselves or get in touch with Rahul or me if you need to. Irrespective of whether or not I land a big Fish next fall, this GMAT experience will stay with me forever, reminding me of the famous Edison quote, “Many of life’s failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”

Cheers and best luck in all your quests.



Needless to say ..yu've done IT Sumit... CONGRATS on that !

Will need some advise in this regard.
Took my GMAT yest and blew it BIG tym..... my 1st GMAT prep score was a 610 and in my entire preparation ,i've never really scored less than that. The last 2 mocks that i took were 670 and 680... But the score on my D-Day Screen , told a different story ...590!! and i'm still shocked. Not sure what to do next. Retake?

Any advice?

Thanks,
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2012
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 18:11
I took GMAT today and screwed up. Got only 600..Q44 and V28. I myself don't know how it happened..I did everything possible to prepare for the exam. I completed all Kaplan books, MGMT Books and Official Guides more than once. I started with taking GMAT prep test and scored 620 and 640 four months back.I took 6 kaplan tests where I used to score around 640. I tried hard and I scored 640, 680, 700 and just three days back I scored 710 on MGMAT Tests. I took GMAT Club tests also and completed them. They were really tough so I used to score negligible in the beginning and started getting a decent score towards the end.

Inspite of all my efforts and full dedication, I have nothing in my hand now. I even don't know where I lost. I used to get V36 or V38 in tests but today I was shocked to see my verbal score. It was not even close to what I expected. I am disappointed with my Quant score also but verbal score is devastating. I don't know what to do. I don't know where is the problem in Verbal so that I can improve on that.

Guide me please..
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 06:55
Hello People

Just took my GMAT and to be honest was a bit disappointed to see a 730 (q48 v 42). I am a bit skeptical about the low quant score (79 percentile). Do you think I should retake and boost the score to 760ish?

I am applying to INSEAD, IE, Judge and Said.

Thanks

Himanshu
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 May 2011
Posts: 277
Location: Costa Rica
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q V0
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 3: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 4: Q V0
GMAT 5: Q V0
GPA: 3.3
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 134

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 07:01
himanshua wrote:
Hello People

Just took my GMAT and to be honest was a bit disappointed to see a 730 (q48 v 42). I am a bit skeptical about the low quant score (79 percentile). Do you think I should retake and boost the score to 760ish?

I am applying to INSEAD, IE, Judge and Said.

Thanks

Himanshu

I'd say you're set, that score definitely gets you through their first filter. The effort required to raise that score by 20 points will probably not be worth the equivalent effort in essays/bolstering EC's or trying to meet 1st round which all potentially boost your chances more than a 20+ increase.

_________________


How to improve your RC score, pls Kudo if helpful! http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html
Work experience (as of June 2012)
2.5 yrs (Currently employed) - Mckinsey & Co. (US Healthcare Analyst)
2 yrs - Advertising industry (client servicing)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 115
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 10

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 13:42
Guys,

I need your opinion regarding re-taking the GMAT.

Last year, I gave the GMAT and scored 700 (Q50, V34). My problem has always been SC hence, since the time I have thought of re-taking the GMAT (approx. a month back), I have focused all my energies in improving my SC skills. I have seen some improvement with my SC error rate reducing considerably, however my CR and RC error rates have climbed a little.
In the last week I have given the MGMAT test twice and have scored V37 and V38 which would at-max take me to 730 (assuming I score a Q50 again).

I think the major question I need to answer is if 30 points (assuming I manage to score 730) are enough to re-take or I should stop right now and focus on essays and applications? I need to decide now, so that I am able to book a date for mid-Oct which I think is the latest by which I should be done with GMAT.

I am planning to apply to Booth, Stern, Sloan, Anderson, Yale and Ross. Just to complete the picture, I am an Indian non-IT male with undergrad from IIT but with below average GPA.

Any inputs would be helpful.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 May 2011
Posts: 277
Location: Costa Rica
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q V0
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 3: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 4: Q V0
GMAT 5: Q V0
GPA: 3.3
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 134

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 13:54
IndianExpress wrote:
Guys,

I need your opinion regarding re-taking the GMAT.
.....................n I need to answer is if 30 points (assuming I manage to score 730) are enough to re-take or I should stop right now and focus on essays and applications? I need to decide now, so that I am able to book a date for mid-Oct which I think is the latest by which I should be done with GMAT.

I am planning to apply to Booth, Stern, Sloan, Anderson, Yale and Ross. Just to complete the picture, I am an Indian non-IT male with undergrad from IIT but with below average GPA.

Any inputs would be helpful.


Hello, a lot of people will tell you that 700 is enough for these schools (in a lot of cases it is) - however, as you know you're in the single most competitive category. Assuming you have good work ex and good extra curric/community involvement, I would say take the extra time and rewrite. Maybe even another month after. To give you some perspective, I'm doing campus visits right now. At Michigan Ross' Preview Day on Friday, there 5 Indians (including me), three others were IIT.

Also:
- Don't make the classic mistake of taking your Quant for granted. Sure you're solid on that, but you don't want an even one point drop.
- Prepare Verbal holistically. So letting your CR/RC drop for a boost in just SC isn't prudent, a cumulative drop in the other 2 might drop your V score more than the corresponding increase in SC. Hit the other 2 sub-sections just as hard.

That's what I think at least.

_________________


How to improve your RC score, pls Kudo if helpful! http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html
Work experience (as of June 2012)
2.5 yrs (Currently employed) - Mckinsey & Co. (US Healthcare Analyst)
2 yrs - Advertising industry (client servicing)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Posts: 17
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 19

CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 00:45
Hello dear friends,

I took the Gmat on May 31st and was very disappointed: (640, V42V, Q36, AWA-5) I got a 36 on quant - much lower than the 49-50 I got on the ALL tests I took at home, and a MUCH lower overall score than the 730 I was aiming for. I was disappointed to the extent that I decided to take a few months off Gmat, and regain my strength for the next attempt.

Now, I'm back on the horse, planning to retake the test - which changed in the meantime, so I'm seeking for some much needed advice:

1.Do you recommend purchasing OG 13 (I own OG12 + OG 12 verbal+OG 12 quant)?

2. What is the best way to prepare for the IR section? How long do I need to master IR?

3. During my previous attempt on the test, I solved 5 MGMAT tests, 3*GmatPrep tests, and 5 of the online Kaplan tests. It seems that I have very few tests left to practice on - did you find retaking the same tests on your second round beneficial? If not, what other tests do you recommend?

Thanks,
Maria
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 1496
Location: New York, NY
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 610 [0], given: 5

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 19:09
Expert's post
MariaS wrote:
Hello dear friends,

I took the Gmat on May 31st and was very disappointed: (640, V42V, Q36, AWA-5) I got a 36 on quant - much lower than the 49-50 I got on the ALL tests I took at home, and a MUCH lower overall score than the 730 I was aiming for. I was disappointed to the extent that I decided to take a few months off Gmat, and regain my strength for the next attempt.

Now, I'm back on the horse, planning to retake the test - which changed in the meantime, so I'm seeking for some much needed advice:

1.Do you recommend purchasing OG 13 (I own OG12 + OG 12 verbal+OG 12 quant)?

2. What is the best way to prepare for the IR section? How long do I need to master IR?

3. During my previous attempt on the test, I solved 5 MGMAT tests, 3*GmatPrep tests, and 5 of the online Kaplan tests. It seems that I have very few tests left to practice on - did you find retaking the same tests on your second round beneficial? If not, what other tests do you recommend?

Thanks,
Maria


Hi MariaS,

#1) - You should be good with just those 3 OG 12 books. They are solid and the best source. Of course, also get a hold of the GMATprep software here:

For #2 - how to prepare for IR - we recommend getting practice with the various question types and familiarizing yourself with the pacing. For example - you can try out 100+ IR questions (multi source, two-part analysis, graphics interpretation, and table analysis) here:

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... reasoning/

For #3 - you always have GMATPrep software. And just because you "went through" all those tests - does not mean those tests are useless to you. I bet if you redid those tests, you would not score an 800 on all of them - even if you saw the questions before. Until you can confidently ace all those tests, you cannot dismiss what you've seen before. In fact - reviewing what you already did is critical for learning.

Hope that helps!

_________________


... and more


Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)


GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 May 2011
Posts: 277
Location: Costa Rica
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q V0
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 3: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 4: Q V0
GMAT 5: Q V0
GPA: 3.3
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 134

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 19:23
MariaS wrote:
Hello dear friends,

I took the Gmat on May 31st and was very disappointed: (640, V42V, Q36, AWA-5) I got a 36 on quant - much lower than the 49-50 I got on the ALL tests I took at home, and a MUCH lower overall score than the 730 I was aiming for. I was disappointed to the extent that I decided to take a few months off Gmat, and regain my strength for the next attempt.

Now, I'm back on the horse, planning to retake the test - which changed in the meantime, so I'm seeking for some much needed advice:

1.Do you recommen.........................taking the same tests on your second round beneficial? If not, what other tests do you recommend?

Thanks,
Maria

Hey Maria, feel your pain, I've taken the test 4 times! Bumped up score from 640 to 740, so typical stats say that you can't do it, i say if you slog your butt off and target your weaknesses you can.

I got a 7 in IR (taken once), and consistent 6 in AWA, read my debrief here. http://gmatclub.com/forum/640-640-710-740-for-those-weak-in-quant-138323.html
- I skimmed GMATPill's free pdf, was good for quick understanding prior to the exam, also see Magoosh's pdf: http://magoosh.resources.s3.amazonaws.com/Magoosh_GMAT_Integrated_Reasoning_eBook.pdf

- I found the MGMAT IR tests to be too difficult in terms of content, but they're great for getting you to refine your calculation speed.

- Quick point on rewriting tests, MGMAT's will give you inflated scores as you figure out the algorithm, try to vary your tests (MGMAT 1, then write a free Knewton, then write MGMAT 2, GMAC 1, then free Veritas) etc.

- Don't make your revision about writing more tests (or even writing as many as you wrote for this prep), make it about tackling the root problem behind your score. Is your quant weak? What topics, target those topics either with a tutor or check out the various courses offered in your locality for GMAT.
Hope that helps you. I would say take at least 2 weeks rest and clear your head before starting again, suddenly rushing into 2nd prep might make you overlook grass-root level issues with your concepts.

Hope that helps. Good luck and don't let this test bog you down!

_________________


How to improve your RC score, pls Kudo if helpful! http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-improve-my-rc-accuracy-117195.html
Work experience (as of June 2012)
2.5 yrs (Currently employed) - Mckinsey & Co. (US Healthcare Analyst)
2 yrs - Advertising industry (client servicing)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2012
Posts: 2
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V34
WE: Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 13:50
Quote:
Indian IT male - this is a very competitive segment and if you are not able to differentiate yourself in any way, get as high GMAT as you can.

Why only IT males? what is with the gender disparity ;O
I am an Indian female, who received a big disparity on my score in spite of a higher GMATPrep & MGMAT CATs. I received Q49, V28 resulting in 640 :( I hadn't received anything less than a 33-32 in my Verbal on any of my Practice CATs. I should go ahead and retake it right?
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 115
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 10

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 23:01
2
This post received
KUDOS
studsar87 - The disparity we have been talking about is regarding admissions and not regarding receiving lower GMAT scores. I don't think there is any disparity / favor that the GMAT exam shows towards any group. The software is unbiased. When we talk about the Indian IT Male, we talk about the adcoms which show a slight bias against the Indian IT Male because of the generally high GMAT that this group scores and the high volume of applications received from this group.

Regarding your question on re-taking, I would just say evaluate the score vis-a-vis the average GMAT score of the colleges that you want to apply. Re-taking, seems to be an easy options but trust me it is not. Going through the same material again and with constant fear of scoring lower than what you scored the first time is not a happy situation to be in.
This is just my opinion, you might have a different experience.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2011
Posts: 74
GMAT 1: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 13

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 20:20
Hi everyone!

I just finished taking my gmat for the second time. Went from a 660 (Q41,V40) to a 720 (Q49,V39). I'll def share my experience later, on a different thread, but for now my question is-- Should I retake?

Just some background, I'm planning to apply for Fall 2014 to some top schools:
- Columbia
- Wharton
- Stern (Part-time program)

I'm an Asian-American female, 1st gen college graduate, with Mandarin as my first language although born in the states (idk if that makes a diff... but it sure was traumatizing in Kindergarden)

The thing is my academic background is very poor. GPA 2.89 with an econ major at a state school (RU), 5 yrs in college because I kept switching around my majors, and a semester leave (fin issues). I am currently in the process of creating an alternative transcript (UCLA Extension) and hopefully I'll get my 4.0 in 4 classes.

I did a LOT of community service back in college. After graduation, I was advisor for my sorority, did recreational softball at work, currently volunteer at a dog shelter, and I'm currently the advisor for a newly created high school volunteer group aimed at animal rescue (part of getting it up and running).

By matriculation, I will be 26 and have had 3 1/2 yrs of work exp in Financial Services- hedge fund accountant at BNY.

I know a lot of people say not to retake if you've scored 700+, but because of my ugly academic background, will it matter?
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2012, 20:20
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Should I retake the GMAT ? paddy 6 12 Mar 2005, 11:06
Should I retake the GMAT?!? rockwood15 3 12 Oct 2004, 14:42
Experts publish their posts in the topic should I retake the GMAT? applyingfor05 1 09 Aug 2004, 13:32
Experts publish their posts in the topic Should I retake the GMAT? mawaru 5 02 Aug 2004, 12:15
Should I retake the GMAT? mawaru 0 02 Aug 2004, 12:15
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21    Next  [ 401 posts ] 

Moderator: TGC



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.