Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 08:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 11:13
czczczc

Last edited by gmatmember85 on 07 Mar 2013, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2233

Kudos [?]: 8383 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 15:08
Expert's post
gmatmember85 wrote:
Scored a 600, 640, 580 on GMAT. I understand that they will take highest score 640, however I was wondering if it's worth giving one more attempt to see if I can beat my score. Is it a case where there is nothing to lose and adcoms won't bother about the 4th attempt even if it's lower?

I don't think it will bother anyone but I would think if you could actually get a score higher than 640. So, you are not geopardizing yourself. If you are really concerned about it, you can always choose not to send the scores right away (do not fill out the school names before the test) - that will cost you extra $$ to send the reports later but if you are concerned, it will ease your mind.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 03:22
I scored 530 with perfect balance between verbal and quantitative. I was originally aiming for 700, but to be honest I didn't have a solid preparation. My main problem was with being average, I could only reach a certain level of difficulty, and then I start doing really bad. I spent months trying to increase my level, but with no use. Like I stated, I was able to get a perfect balance (can't remember the exact score). Can anybody guide me on where to start this time???
Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Economics Prague

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 16:47
Thanks for the post. Im retaking next month and Im hopeful to get 720+.

You want somethin', go get it. Period!

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 14:50
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could give me advice as to whether to retake my GMAT or not... I took it today and scored 690 (Q45 V40) - I really wanted to get 700 so I am quite disappointed. I am thinking about retaking it (I feel like I could improve to at least 700 or 720 - my GMAT Prep test scores included 2 times 770 after all) - but I am not sure if it's worth the time / money / effort. I am planning to apply for an MSc Programme in Europe (HEC, ESADE, ESSEC, HSG, ESCP). My undergrad score will definitely be a first (I think in GPA this is around 3.7-4.0?), I have also just worked for one of the Big 4 for one year supporting their London Olympic Games Hospitality programme. Also, I have some extracurricular activities - student rep for 4 consecutive years, scholarship holder, involvement in student organisations (AIESEC), peer mentor, charity work for disabled kids, top 10 management undergraduate of the year for 2011/2012.
I also have 2 great (I think) references, one from my previous manager and one from my placement tutor (ie one professional and one academic).
I am not sure whether I should retake the GMAT (I am quite sure that I could get 700 or more, I had some family issues last week so wasn't really able to use the last week before my GMAT properly) or whether I should focus on applications?! I really want to do an exchange (CEMS) so I guess the GMAT counts even more...?
I would really really appreciate some advice.

Many thanks!
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 04:53
There is no harm in applying with this score as you have 1 year work experience. In the worst case next year you can improve and apply again.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.92
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 12:43
Anything in 700+ range is good

Regards
BUZZZ
www.gmatexecmba.blogspot.com

Current Student
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 55

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 01:33
Hi all,
I haven't been following this thread so sorry if this is redundant. I first wrote on here 2 years ago. should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339-100.html#p769900

690, 680 then 710. I'm glad I retook the GMAT because now I'm getting the results from applications and I'm glad I worked on the GMAT (something you can change vs school/background are things you can't really change in short term). In fact, I wish I knew score averages would go up so much from the time I started prepping (2009) til now and I wish I would have aimed for 720+ just to really secure in those acceptances. Obviously don't spend all your savings on the GMAT and don't take it again and again if you're not seeing improvements on your practice tests but for those of you on the cusp (if you're at 700-710 right now and you're applying fall 2013 or later for top bschools), I say bite the bullet and give it one last earnest go.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.86

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 08:16
This is a great post for those deciding to retake
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 12:53
Hi,

I have taken GMAT on 19th Jan'13 and got 730(Q-50, VA-39). For US B schools I have till Sep'13 I guess for apps and essays. I was wondering if it makes sense to retake GMAT. I couldn't finish verbal section on time and I feel I can improve my score in verbal.
I have talked to few people but I am not sure what should I do. If I don't go for retake, what should I do for profile building? It would be great if experts can share their views on this.

For reference, Link to my GMAT Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/730-q50-v39-it-s-not-over-till-its-over-146065.html
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 10

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 13:34
This post received
KUDOS
aniruddha601 wrote:
Hi,

I have taken GMAT on 19th Jan'13 and got 730(Q-50, VA-39). For US B schools I have till Sep'13 I guess for apps and essays. I was wondering if it makes sense to retake GMAT. I couldn't finish verbal section on time and I feel I can improve my score in verbal.
I have talked to few people but I am not sure what should I do. If I don't go for retake, what should I do for profile building? It would be great if experts can share their views on this.

For reference, Link to my GMAT Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/730-q50-v39-it-s-not-over-till-its-over-146065.html

First of congratulations on a great score. Let me tell you that 730 is a great score.
I guess you are an Indian (I am too!) and are probably thinking of the generally high scores that Indians get. I can understand where you are coming from.

I would just say if you have the energy and time and you are 100% sure that you can improve, then just re-take it. A higher score cannot hurt you, but be sure that you will improve.

As far as schools are concerned, I would say that the decision to re-take depends on the kind of schools you are planning to target. Unless you are applying to the top 5 (Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Booth and LBS) there is not much to worry about at your score (as long as you have a decent profile). I would advise you to work on your profile, any quick fixes that you can work-upon would be great.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 21:07
IndianExpress wrote:
aniruddha601 wrote:
Hi,

First of congratulations on a great score. Let me tell you that 730 is a great score.
I guess you are an Indian (I am too!) and are probably thinking of the generally high scores that Indians get. I can understand where you are coming from.

I would just say if you have the energy and time and you are 100% sure that you can improve, then just re-take it. A higher score cannot hurt you, but be sure that you will improve.

As far as schools are concerned, I would say that the decision to re-take depends on the kind of schools you are planning to target. Unless you are applying to the top 5 (Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Booth and LBS) there is not much to worry about at your score (as long as you have a decent profile). I would advise you to work on your profile, any quick fixes that you can work-upon would be great.

Thanks for your wishes :)

Yes, I am an Indian and I will be applying to some of the top 5 B schools. Considering that shall i go for retake? I am not 100% sure that I will improve :P, but I was thinking will it hurt? Suppose I get same or lower score will it hurt my case?
Also, how do you think I can improve my profile? I can share my resume if you want

Regards,
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 10

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 22:16
aniruddha601 wrote:
IndianExpress wrote:
aniruddha601 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for your wishes :)

Yes, I am an Indian and I will be applying to some of the top 5 B schools. Considering that shall i go for retake? I am not 100% sure that I will improve :P, but I was thinking will it hurt? Suppose I get same or lower score will it hurt my case?
Also, how do you think I can improve my profile? I can share my resume if you want

Regards,

Almost all the schools say that they only look at the highest score, however I think they also do look at the latest one. So, I would say unless you are sure that you are not going to go below 710 or 720 then you can think about re-taking.

Another thing to keep in mind is the time factor. I guess you will need to spend 3-4 months to go from 730 to 750+ which means it will already be May/June when you will start shortlisting the schools, this is assuming that you will have time right-away and your job will allow you time to work on all this stuff.

I would advise you you to first shortlist the schools you want to apply to, look at the class profiles (don't look at the numbers only, take a look at a few example bios also) for those schools and then take a call. You can make a pros and cons list for each of the schools and then decide if you need to have some more points on GMAT to improve your pro list or you are fine.

Regarding your question on profile improvement, a few things that come to my mind are:

1. Develop an interesting hobby or skill that might differentiate you. Just top of my mind: you can start learning a new language
2. Join the CSR team of your organization, else join an NGO which might give you some good exposure
3. Get some leadership experience (in case you don't already have it)
4. You can also get some professional certifications (e.g. CFA, FRM, Six Sigma etc.) depending on your interests and your goals

The best way to identify what you need to improve is by first shortlisting the schools that you want to apply to and then look at their essays and application requirements. You will get a good idea of what these schools want and then you can work backwards to find out where you need to work.

You can also post your brief profile on this forum to know about the areas that might need improvement.

Hope this was helpful.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Insead Sept '16
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V23

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 03:20
Hi All,
I have given my GMAT on 10th January 2013 without a dedicated preperation and received 580(Q47 V23). I am planning to dedicate around 2 months for a serious preperation to improve my verbal score to atleast 43. Please let me know if this is possible in a 2 months time. I presently have MGMAT SC, Powerscore CR Bible with me for my preperation (Which i did not touch before my first GMAT attempt). Will mastering the concepts from these two books be enough to get a 43 in verbal.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
WE: Marketing (Commercial Banking)

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 04:52
Hi All.
Am not asking for much, am having serious problems getting to terms with the Quant(Data suff Especially) i really need your advice and tips, took the gmat last week and scored a 400, thats the worst result i've had in my life, the score was low b'cos my Quant was awful, i scored a 14, am planning on seating for another test in 5 months time, and am looking to you guys to offer me your support and assistance. Pleaseeeeee.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 16:04
730 (50Q 38V)

Prep Verbal was consistently 40-47 range.

Applying for 2+2 and GSB

any reason for me to retake? or would I be better served working on my app?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 07:29
Hi all
I am v keen on applying to INSEAD and was aiming to apply in R1 for Jan14 intake. However, I gave my GMAT today and got a score of 700 (Q50 90%, V 34 69%). Now, I am v confused as to whether i should give a retake of GMAT since my verbal score percentile at 69% is quite low. Even INSEAD recommends that the score should be between 70-75% in both the Q & V sections.

Now, I am confused as to whether my low verbal give me a huge disadvantage Esp in INSEAD. My profile:
Indian
5 yr Work Experience in Sales and Strategy.
Engg from a top 10 college with good grades

I was planning to apply in R1 with Apr 3rd as deadline, now if I given retest I will need to push my app to R2 which i dont want to. INSEAD is the only college i am keen to apply due to its 1 yr program. Look forward to advice..
Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 08:16
alphagmat wrote:
Hi all
I am v keen on applying to INSEAD and was aiming to apply in R1 for Jan14 intake. However, I gave my GMAT today and got a score of 700 (Q50 90%, V 34 69%). Now, I am v confused as to whether i should give a retake of GMAT since my verbal score percentile at 69% is quite low. Even INSEAD recommends that the score should be between 70-75% in both the Q & V sections.

Now, I am confused as to whether my low verbal give me a huge disadvantage Esp in INSEAD. My profile:
Indian

I was planning to apply in R1 with Apr 3rd as deadline, now if I given retest I will need to push my app to R2 which i dont want to. INSEAD is the only college i am keen to apply due to its 1 yr program. Look forward to advice..

My two cents:

I understand your problem. In my opinion, you should re-take.
Had it been any other school I would have advised you not to re-take but this is INSEAD and as far as I understand, they give a lot of importance to the verbal score. Your GMAT needs to be better also because you are from the highly competitive "Indian" pool. I believe there is no point in going in with a half baked package.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 11:54
IndianExpress wrote:
alphagmat wrote:
Hi all

Indian

My two cents:

Had it been any other school I would have advised you not to re-take but this is INSEAD and as far as I understand, they give a lot of importance to the verbal score. Your GMAT needs to be better also because you are from the highly competitive "Indian" pool. I believe there is no point in going in with a half baked package.

Thanks "Indian Express" for your quick reply. I also was slightly inclined towards giving and your reply and reading about other retakes has strengthened my resolve to give it.

I have read your retake brief and after reading it, I have another peculiar thing on which I need advice. R1 for INSEAD ends on 3rd April. I am planning to give the retest on around 15th March since I feel I need to focus on Verbal only specifically from a test timing point of view and not start from scratch all over again. Hence, I feel 1 month should be sufficient to prepare for it. However, I am thinking to apply in R1 itself. This is because my office work is such that unless I have exam/app deadline over my head, I will not be able maintain a consistency of focus. Having mentally prepared to apply in R1, now applying in R2 means waiting with all this tension in my head till mid Jun which I am not too keen. Plus if I now delay applying in R1, I will most likely start studying again in Mar and I will lose my momentum that I have built over the last 2 months.

So, that means in the next 45 days, I need to take a retest (by 15th Mar) and complete one application also (by 3rd Apr) ( I am applying only to INSEAD).

My plan for the next 30 days would be work on my application during the 2-3 week days every week ( when i am too tired to study) and work on verbal for GMAT during the rest of the days and weekends. For GMAT, I plan to focus only on completing OG Verbal, GMAT Prep Ques pack, eGMAT course. So, I will get around 20 days of solid study on GMAT and maybe 30 days for application uptp 3rd April.

Do you think, that since there is only 1 application and considering all that I wrote regarding my situation, this is doable and importantly, advisable?
Manager
Manager

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 21:15
alphagmat wrote:
IndianExpress wrote:
alphagmat wrote:
Hi all

Indian

My two cents:

Thanks "Indian Express" for your quick reply. I also was slightly inclined towards giving and your reply and reading about other retakes has strengthened my resolve to give it.

I have read your retake brief and after reading it, I have another peculiar thing on which I need advice. R1 for INSEAD ends on 3rd April. I am planning to give the retest on around 15th March since I feel I need to focus on Verbal only specifically from a test timing point of view and not start from scratch all over again. Hence, I feel 1 month should be sufficient to prepare for it. However, I am thinking to apply in R1 itself. This is because my office work is such that unless I have exam/app deadline over my head, I will not be able maintain a consistency of focus. Having mentally prepared to apply in R1, now applying in R2 means waiting with all this tension in my head till mid Jun which I am not too keen. Plus if I now delay applying in R1, I will most likely start studying again in Mar and I will lose my momentum that I have built over the last 2 months.

So, that means in the next 45 days, I need to take a retest (by 15th Mar) and complete one application also (by 3rd Apr) ( I am applying only to INSEAD).

My plan for the next 30 days would be work on my application during the 2-3 week days every week ( when i am too tired to study) and work on verbal for GMAT during the rest of the days and weekends. For GMAT, I plan to focus only on completing OG Verbal, GMAT Prep Ques pack, eGMAT course. So, I will get around 20 days of solid study on GMAT and maybe 30 days for application uptp 3rd April.

Do you think, that since there is only 1 application and considering all that I wrote regarding my situation, this is doable and importantly, advisable?

It does sound like a plan provided that you are able to stick to it!
I would just like to add that don't underestimate the application process. It may be only one application but the first one is the most time consuming one.
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 12 Feb 2013, 21:15