Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 05:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 02:21
Hi,

i scored 650 on my first attempt and i asked to some of top schools if the grade is ok. Some schools answered that it was a good grade and i don't need to retake the exam.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 29

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 10:19
This post received
KUDOS
GMAT 1: 650 (Q49, V30)- Sep 16th, 2012

GMAT 2: 690 (Q49, V34)- July 1st, 2013

GMAT 3: 750 (Q50, V41)- Sep 17th, 2013

Pheww!! Done with GMAT Marathon finally-- 1.25 years of preparation, 3 sleepless nights, 2 failures and 1 dream score!

Would like to thank e-GMAT (Rajat, Payal, Shraddha and Chiranjeev).

Here's a breakdown:

GMAT 1--

Preparation lasted ~ 5 months..I was always decent at quant and from the start, was scoring 49-50 in Q on mocks but speed & letting go of questions remained an issue. Bunuel on GMATClub is great-- solve all his questions.. In Verbal, I was not aware of rules or logic..just practiced alot of questions-- lacked in speed and got stuck often. The first GMAT experience was nerve wracking-- primary focus was somehow to complete the test; wasn't sure of many answers esp. in Verbal esp. SC. Couldn't attempt the last 3-4 questions properly in both Quant and Verbal. The screen flashed a 650-- gutted;

GMAT 2--

Took a 2 months break but the GMAT score kept bothering me..knew that I will retake it. Couldn't start on my own so decided to enroll for classroom learning-- Joined Princeton Review Classes; Preparation~ 6 months. The faculty was great at PR, Delhi esp. the Verbal faculty; SC became my strong point and I achieved a 80-85% accuracy, CR improved marginally 70-80% accuracy however, RCs remained a problem- 55-65% accuracy and my timing was totally off; In hindsight, I might have over focused on the 1st 10 questions and ended up short of time.

Quant was the same even though I felt I had managed time better; Verbal- felt like I was doing pretty well and even started thinking of 40+ but kept getting behind on time which really messed up the last 10..submit- 690-

Low point in life. I have always been over-persistent with a cling on attitude and it is extremely difficult for me to let go of things. Started wondering whether the GMAC & the powers that be are conspiring against me and whether the GMAT is not for ppl lyk me..self doubt, inner demons, even the L word marked my thinking..was the accuracy reqd much higher than what I thought.. I deserved better maybe. My mocks seemed to suggest so..

GMAT 3--

Something within me jus kept me going..I couldn't stop now..690 thats not bad ppl said-- which made me feel worse..I shut myself down-- devised a study plan-- I knew it had to be Verbal which was setting me back..Quant had never been the issue even though I couldn't cross 49 both times..I decided to focus on the core issue -- VERBAL and I quit smoking..

Enrolled for e-GMAT- its different from most other courses-- inspite of the initial glitches, moved ahead with my prep..yes-- there is indeed a method to teaching CR & RC as demonstrated by e-GMAT--here are the main takeaways from the e-GMAT course--

-- SC- focus on the original sentence and error analysis. POE comes later and if the intended meaning is clear, u can breeze through this step.

-- CR- Pre- thinking helps u to structure the argument in your head; so that even if u can't guess correctly; u can identify the correct option during POE better

-- RC- Logical Structure, passage summaries and keywords help u understand the passage in the 1st go.

-- Last but not the least-- following the process for each and every question every single time; once ur done with the process- u move on, u save time

And never get bogged down-- I got a 50% on the e-GMAT Mini Test..e-GMAT workshops are great for practice and the analysis is unparalleled..

2 days before MGMAT repeat test - scored 770 and more importantly, could complete both sections well in time..Practice a variety of tests - U must try all the free sources including Veritas, Grockit, MGMAT, Edvento to name a few apart from the regular test series u take..monitor ur results n do in depth analysis and corrections on the same day.

Contrary to popular belief, took a paper on the day before the GMAT (had taken 2 papers the day before- 1 complete and 1 Quant); Wanted to be in qa mode and in rythm unlike previous 2 exams where I lazed around the day before the GMAT which made me even more nervous..I do recommend some light exercise a day before the GMAT as it helps get rid of the nervous energy -- did help me..just do everything u need to focus..

If Andy Murray could do it, .....decided to drive myself to the centre this time-- Quant was a breeze- kept monitoring time-- last question was super tough-- some weird series - could not make head or tail out of it..was unsure of only a few questions. Had Gatorade+ Crackle instead of Red Bull + Snickers this time-- more of a superstition thing..Verbal- in the break time I thought- these next few moments might well define what I end up doing with my life-- no stress- started off with 3 SCs n everything started falling in place-- couldn't have been more sure about the answers-- most of them-- I daresay if I could have completed the last 2-3 questions on Verbal, my score might have been even higher !! I would still take it...any day..!! New challenges beckon..
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Other
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 20:22
I took the GMAT today and got 730, Q46 V45. I realize that this is not a bad score, which makes the decision between retaking and not retaking even harder.
I'm looking for advice on this point. While my undergrad GPA is only 3.0 and a higher score would probably help alleviate this, I'm not strictly looking to improve the likelihood of admission; I'm wondering if there's any possibility I can get into the scholarship range. I worked full-time during my undergrad and couldn't pay as much attention to my studies as I should have, thus the low GPA.

Here's some more info:

* I think my biggest chance at improving my score is through the quant section
* I started studying for the test a week in advance (about 15 hours in total). I did the paper diagnostic test from the OG and about 50 more problem solving questions from the same book. I read over the Math Review section. Then I took the two free GMAT Prep diagnostic tests (1st: 720, Q44, V45; 2nd: 730, Q45, V45), one two days before exam, the other the day before the exam, with no studying in between).
* 50% of questions that I got wrong on practice exams were due to inattention, the other 50% (for quant section) were for lack of math chops
* I'm pretty good at logic, word problems, and anything with proportions or rates of change, but once I see exponents, or most things to do with geometry, I'm as good as guessing.
* I feel like my math-solving ability (as pedestrian as it is) is mostly intuitive

Based on this information, do you think I can get into the 760-790 range? If so, what's the best approach?

I have not applied to any grad schools yet and have a ton of time before I do, so this is not an issue. I will probably be applying to Queen's when the time comes.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 84

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 06:11
Marushka wrote:
I took the GMAT today and got 730, Q46 V45. I realize that this is not a bad score, which makes the decision between retaking and not retaking even harder.
I'm looking for advice on this point. While my undergrad GPA is only 3.0 and a higher score would probably help alleviate this, I'm not strictly looking to improve the likelihood of admission; I'm wondering if there's any possibility I can get into the scholarship range. I worked full-time during my undergrad and couldn't pay as much attention to my studies as I should have, thus the low GPA.

Here's some more info:

* I think my biggest chance at improving my score is through the quant section
* I started studying for the test a week in advance (about 15 hours in total). I did the paper diagnostic test from the OG and about 50 more problem solving questions from the same book. I read over the Math Review section. Then I took the two free GMAT Prep diagnostic tests (1st: 720, Q44, V45; 2nd: 730, Q45, V45), one two days before exam, the other the day before the exam, with no studying in between).
* 50% of questions that I got wrong on practice exams were due to inattention, the other 50% (for quant section) were for lack of math chops
* I'm pretty good at logic, word problems, and anything with proportions or rates of change, but once I see exponents, or most things to do with geometry, I'm as good as guessing.
* I feel like my math-solving ability (as pedestrian as it is) is mostly intuitive

Based on this information, do you think I can get into the 760-790 range? If so, what's the best approach?

I have not applied to any grad schools yet and have a ton of time before I do, so this is not an issue. I will probably be applying to Queen's when the time comes.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

730 is a very very good score and I would not advise that you retake GMAT.

Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "+1 KUDOS" icon.
My IELTS 7.5 Experience
From 540 to 640...Done with GMAT!!!
http://www.sahilchaudhary007.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2013, 13:51
Hi everyone. First time poster (stumbled onto this site while looking for AWA templates; Thanks chineseburned) looking for some advice on retaking the GMAT.

Brief background on me: I'm looking at local PT MBA programs (Pitt) and distance learning programs from higher ranked MBA programs. I'm well versed on the pros and cons of PT and DL programs versus a FT MBA, but those options are what work best for myself and my family. My undergrad GPA was 3.7 from a smaller university. Six years of work experience including enlisted time in the military.

I took the MBA this past Saturday after two weeks of self-preparation. I got a 590 (38V, 32Q, 7IR, 5.5AWA). Outside the horrific quant score, I'm pleased with my performance. My overall score is right around the average GMAT score for the programs I am interested in, but I'm worried the quant score sticks out like a sore thumb. Should I retake the GMAT to improve the quant score? Ride out the application process with the current score and retake if requested by one of the programs I apply to? Do my best to explain away the quant score as as just a bad day? Who cares because its a part time program? What's my best course of action? Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 02-22-2014

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 09:20
Hey guys, I want to say few words about my story. I took GMAT and scored 470 Quantitative 25, Verbal 25. Then after one month i retook it again and scored 420 :((( Quantitative 38 but verbal 9..... I am going to take GMAT one more time and i have 2 months to prepare for that. My target score is no less than 570 ; >570 . please give me any advice or suggestion how to beat GMAT and increase my score from 420 to =>570 or more. recently, i have used Kaplan's new GMAT PREMIER 2013 book to study.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 10:02
Hi All,

I took GMAT 3 times still my score is average(560). So planning to take a final attempt with all my effort aming for 680.
Taking GMAT 4 time will have negative impact on my app. Do Adcom will consider my attempts if i take more than 3 times.

Dose taking GRE is also an option? because now most of Bschools are accepting GRE score.
Please advise on this.

Thanks in Advance,
Rrsnathan
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2014, 21:26
Depends on the MBA program you're applying too. If you're applying to say Purdue with good full-time work experience, retaking the exam over because you scored a 680 and are going for a 720 GMAT is not necessary. Unless you really want to spend the time and the money and sacrifice other areas of your life to get a score way above your target school's average GMAT score, it is not worth it.
Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2014, 02:39
Expert's post
is there data available how many percent of test takers who scored 700+ did so in their first attempt?

OPTIMUS PREP

Best regards,

Artem Morgunov I Founder of Optimus Prep I morgunov@optimus-prep.com

Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2014, 02:40
Expert's post
Or how many students who scored 700+ took private tutoring?

Best regards,

Artem Morgunov I Founder of Optimus Prep I morgunov@optimus-prep.com

Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2014, 10:16
OptimusPrep wrote:
is there data available how many percent of test takers who scored 700+ did so in their first attempt?

OPTIMUS PREP

My approximation would be 50-75%.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2014, 07:12
Hello there, i would really thank you for helping me, so i got 310 22/37 and 12/41 so i buy 12 CAT exams and i did only 2 of them, i need just to know whether to retake the exam or stop here and end the story .... what shall i do
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 01 May 2014, 02:27
Hello there, i would really thank you for helping me, so i got 310 22/37 and 12/41 so i buy 12 CAT exams and i did only 2 of them, i need just to know whether to retake the exam or stop here and end the story .... what shall i do

Your response is a highly appreciated
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.6
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 116

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 02 May 2014, 00:58
Ok, i am throwing myself in the ring again. Previous GMAT 690( Q-49, V-34). I am targeting a 750 plus this time.
Wish me luck guys!

Cheers
Farhan

My Blog - Gladly Making an attempt today

INSEAD SEPT 2015 Intake Thread

2015 PROFILES W/ ADMIT/DINGS RESULTS!!

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 01:46
Really its a great thread
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 13 May 2014, 04:52
bb
The success stories you have shared are quite encouraging.

DreamMBA inc. Premium MBA Admission Consultants

We are offering huge discounts on our packages for early birds. Visit our website now to benefit from these limited time offers.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2014, 20:48
Hi, I need help to decide my retaking strategy. Totally devastated by my Q score (poor timing)

GMAT Club tests Q 50-51 in all tests
GMATPrep 1: 750 Q51 V40
GMATPrep 2: 760 Q51 V41

GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37 (last year without much prep)
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41 ( A week back )

I am retaking since I believe the current score does not do justice to my abilities. Also, I have a low GPA (~ 3.0) and intend to apply to top 15 schools.

Requesting expert advice !

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
WE: Project Management (Advertising and PR)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 34

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2014, 11:26
I'm for sure looking forward to retaking my test. I'm so done with this test but I'm ready to knock it out of the park!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 600 Q50 V21
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 21:51
So, I gave my GMAT last week.
I got 600 with the following breakup:
Quant: 50
Verbal: 21

This is what I got with self study using OG guides and practice tests from MGMAT.
Should I retake GMAT and what could be my strategy to pump up my Verbal?
I guess I do not need to do much on the Quant part.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2014, 09:57
I took the exam on 11 July 2014 and scored 710 on it (though bombed the IR section with a score of 4). I have an experience of about 3 years and am planning to enroll for the Fall 2015 session. In addition to the schools mentioned on the left, I would like to apply to Darden, UCLA and Tepper.

Is my GMAT score decent enough for a scholarship? And, will the low IR score pose any hindrance to get an admit next Fall?
Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2014, 09:57