Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2015, 19:16
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia, NYU, Oxford, Cambridge, INSEAD
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 16:25
ebonite02 wrote:
I took the GMAT and i had a total score of 550.
Q: 42
V: 28
Please i need someone to tell me what to do inorder to rise my score to 700+.

Thanks

Do you read in English regularly? I found that reading publications that use rich vocabulary and complicated syntax can really help. Try The Economist and scientific publications.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 19:17
Hey Guys,

I got a 620 on the GMAT (v 83%, q 49%). I did a lot of studying (4+ months, 10+ hours a week) so I was very disappointed with my score.

I did the Kaplan program and my score didn't really go up much after the 3rd practice test (got 530 on diagnostic, then 570, then 620, then bounced around a bunch and went as low as 510 and as high as a 640).

Do you think there is much point in taking again? I feel pretty burnt out from studying, especially when my score didn't improve much considering the time I put in. Maybe I'm just stuck with a low score...

Based on your alls experience, do you see big score jumps on retakes, even after people have studied and taken their first test seriously? According to GMAC statistically people don't do much better on retakes, but I'm not sure if they have an angle.

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia, NYU, Oxford, Cambridge, INSEAD

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 3

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2009, 01:21
This post received
KUDOS
gmatdummy wrote:
Hey Guys,

I got a 620 on the GMAT (v 83%, q 49%). I did a lot of studying (4+ months, 10+ hours a week) so I was very disappointed with my score.

I did the Kaplan program and my score didn't really go up much after the 3rd practice test (got 530 on diagnostic, then 570, then 620, then bounced around a bunch and went as low as 510 and as high as a 640).

Do you think there is much point in taking again? I feel pretty burnt out from studying, especially when my score didn't improve much considering the time I put in. Maybe I'm just stuck with a low score...

Based on your alls experience, do you see big score jumps on retakes, even after people have studied and taken their first test seriously? According to GMAC statistically people don't do much better on retakes, but I'm not sure if they have an angle.

Thanks!

Hi gmatdummy,

Your results are similar to mine the first time around, only you are doing better on quant :-)

Don't be discouraged. Take some time off, go a month without studying before deciding to retake/not to retake the GMAT.

I got 610 the first time and 660 yesterday and I beleive I could have done better if I wasn't nervous. I plateaued at q35 and above by doing lots of difficult problems - more difficult than the actual GMAT in fact. Did you do the GMATClub diagnostic test and the GMAT questions of the day?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2009, 04:50
Anya1979 - Congrats on the score bump!

Taking some time off seems like a good idea as I can't really think straight now. I actually haven't been to gmat club until last night but I will check out those things you recommended.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth class of 2013
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 23

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 00:24
Hi,

Can anyone comment on my individual section split? Is Q50 V37 too disparate? My total GMAT score is 710, and I'm considering a retake. My two GMATPrep practice exams both resulted in a 750 (Q50, V41).

I'm planning on applying to several Top 10 schools including MIT, Columbia, NYU, Kellogg and Booth. Will the 710 hurt my chances of admission? Will a 750 make enough of a difference all else being the same?

Thanks in advance.

My profile
My GMAT experience

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: AS - Gold, HH-Diamond
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 2854

Kudos [?]: 14607 [1] , given: 3905

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 00:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
wiredo wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone comment on my individual section split? Is Q50 V37 too disparate? My total GMAT score is 710, and I'm considering a retake. My two GMATPrep practice exams both resulted in a 750 (Q50, V41).

I'm planning on applying to several Top 10 schools including MIT, Columbia, NYU, Kellogg and Booth. Will the 710 hurt my chances of admission? Will a 750 make enough of a difference all else being the same?

Thanks in advance.

Probably won't make too much difference. People get into top 10 with 690. You have a very high quant score and finance schools will love you for that.
A good/strong essay/story may be a better investment of your time.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 23

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 14:44
Thanks for the confidence boost bb! That laid a few concerns to rest.

My profile
My GMAT experience

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 46

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 10:50
Nice post. I took GMAT in november'09 and got 600 in my first attempt. I was very disappointed. But then I joined Gmat club and found out that many top rankers scored less in thier initial attempts. This helped me regain my confidence and now I'm planning to reappear in April. I'll definitely refer the guidlines. Hope I do well this time. :?
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA, INSEAD
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 15

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 21:34
Thanks for the post.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 14607 [0], given: 3905

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2010, 00:45
Expert's post
Links updated and minor text edits

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Doubt On Retaking?. [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2010, 00:25
Hello Guys,

Please help me on this doubt of Retaking the GMAT. It may be a silly question but just to make myself clear. i am yet to write the GMAT. Just thinking on all possible options. If suppose i am retaking the GMAT, Do i need to Pay another 250$ for the 2nd attempt and then schedule it?..
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [2] , given: 23

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 13:28
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all,

I retook the GMAT this morning at the same center and time-of-day as before, but 7 weeks later. I'm happy to report a 60 point increase! I went from a 710 (Q50 - 93%ile, V37 - 80%ile, total 92%ile) to a 770 (Q51 - 98%ile, V44 - 97%ile, total 99%ile).

I went back and forth a lot on deciding over the retake, and got a lot of advice from a lot of people on why 710 is good enough, but in the end I decided to go with what would make me sleep easier at night ... at least until I begin fretting over the rest of the application process! :-)

I will say that although a 710 score would probably not have had significant negative impact on my application, the score wasn't anywhere near what I was getting in my practice exams (an avg of 760 over the last six practice tests - GMATPrep and ManhattanGMAT). This was a key factor in my decision to retake the exam.

I will include a debrief later, as I did learn a few lessons from my first experience that I wish to share with the community. I wish to thank the GMAT club community members who take so much time to respond to everyone's questions and support each other. I think that the content on this site is truly amazing. I couldn't have done it without GMATclub!!

My profile
My GMAT experience

Last edited by bb on 13 Mar 2010, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
added link
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 13:52
Expert's post
Wiredo - thank you very much for the report. Congratulations!!!

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2010, 03:20
bb,

I took the GMAT on 24th of this month and scored 680 (M48, V34) . As, I am a entrepreneur—started my own consumer and economic research company, the company is in the top 30 in the said category in India in terms of the revenues—I was not able to concentrate much on GMAT preparation. What do you suggest should I again appear for GMAT with proper preparation? or will the ADCOM would take my job into consideration while looking at my GMAT score.

Regards
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 14607 [1] , given: 3905

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 13:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jade3 wrote:
bb,

I took the GMAT on 24th of this month and scored 680 (M48, V34) . As, I am a entrepreneur—started my own consumer and economic research company, the company is in the top 30 in the said category in India in terms of the revenues—I was not able to concentrate much on GMAT preparation. What do you suggest should I again appear for GMAT with proper preparation? or will the ADCOM would take my job into consideration while looking at my GMAT score.

Regards

Jade,

I think you can leave GMAT Alone, even if with ISB. 680 is a great score and unless you felt that you scored 750+ in you practice tests, it may be the time to "bury the GMAT war hammer"

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 03:30
bb wrote:
jade3 wrote:
bb,

Regards

Jade,

I think you can leave GMAT Alone, even if with ISB. 680 is a great score and unless you felt that you scored 750+ in you practice tests, it may be the time to "bury the GMAT war hammer"

Thank you bb. I think, I would take your advice
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 21:53
thanks! nice post!!!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 3

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 04:32
Good advice bb . thanks .
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 07 May 2010, 19:08
Expert's post
Thread has been updated with more experience stories.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 08 May 2010, 00:06
Hi, I got 730 (M:49/V:41), but the score of AWA is only 3.5. May I just use this GMAT score to do the application? Thanks.
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 08 May 2010, 00:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  22    Next  [ 439 posts ]