Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 06 Jul 2015, 23:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2014, 02:29
hello frds,
i am trying for GMAT this year ..and i found one site on that site practice material is available..if any buddy trying for GMAT & GRE ..and want any preparation material then check this link you will get old question papers etc..check out msmbainusa
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 27

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2014, 20:08
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Guys,

I want to share my upside-down experience, which I went through recently with my GMAT exam. Usually people score less on mock tests and score better on real GMAT but for me it was the opposite. An average 680 score on mocks turned into a sad 570 on the real GMAT.

I studied for 2 months for my GMAT, which I took on Aug-02-2014. My score was 570 (Q48, V21). During my study period I gave 7 practice exams (GMATPrep - 2, Kaplan - 5) and here are my scores:

GMATPrep
1) 620 (Q47, V28)
2) 690 (Q49, V35)

Kaplan
1) 640 (Q49, V29)
2) 650 (Q49, V34)
3) 680 (Q49, V35)
4) 700 (Q50, V35)
5) 700 (Q50, V32)

I had read on multiple forums that Kaplan tests are tougher than GMATPrep tests and if one is scoring around 700 in Kaplan Tests then there are very good chances that one will score 700 +20,30 in the real GMAT. This is the reason why I chose Kaplan but for me the score tanked big time: 570 (Q48, V21). I don't know what to make of it. Was it just one bad day at office or I really don't know most of verbal. But then I fail to understand that if I am a dud at verbal then how I was getting scores in the range of 680-700 on mock tests.

Please guys, I request you to guide me here. What went wrong here? What should I do next and how should I find out what could have gone wrong?

Thanks,
Sumeet
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2014, 09:37
Hi ,

I wanted a few advice on the retaking the GMAT exam and also suggestion on how I can improve my GMAT score.
I scored a 600 today ( 50Q ,20V) . I always have had issues with verbal but my performance was never this poor. I used to get at least 28+ anyday. I am planning to take a retest . Some schools might question me on why I got such a low score in the first place in case of verbal but that is for another time. My concern right now is how do I prepare well for verbal ?

I have low confidence which I am unable to boost as I hardly get good scores in mocks. Do you guys think that it is possible to improve my score? I am willing to take a retest because I cannot go worse than this . I am pretty confident with my Quant so no issues there.

I would be really grateful if you can advice me in any way.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
GMAT 690: Retake or not Retake ? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2014, 00:51
Hi Guys!

May I kindly ask you to share your opinion on my GMAT result, as I am a bit puzzled how I shall proceed?! I took a test yesterday and scored only 690 (Q49, V35, IR2).

Verbal and IR are terribly low and theoretically I can boost them up if I retake the exam (my Verbal score was 38-40 in practice tests; however, on the contrary, Quant was never above 45-47; and to be super honest Math during the real test felt to me relatively easy and straightforward, while Verbal was very difficult & confusing vs. everything I have encountered during my preps).

My plan was to apply to HBS at R1 and to CBS as a RD (after October 8th). Now, if I retake, I will need to miss a R1 deadline at HBS and go to the R2. (Columbia is still on track though).

In this context, what do you think would be the best strategy for the HBS? Shall I retake GMAT? Can a good GPA (3.9) / TOEFL score (111) at least partially compensate for the low Verbal score? As my overall background: I am 28yo, Russian girl, currently living in Paris (+3 years in Geneva before), working as a brand manager in a leading FMCG company, solid career track, good GPA, TOEFL, yet not GMAT...

...so, shall I retake GMAT (to hopefully cross a 700 mark) and apply later or go as it is at R1 (which can be an uphill battle at HBS)?

Thanks a LOT in advance, guys!!!!!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 65

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2014, 10:51
What in the world?

While you were taking mock tests, did you also take AWA and IR? My guess would be that by the time you got to the verbal sections, nerves and fatigue broke you down. Do you remember what was going through your mind while you were taking the exam, in particular verbal section?

sumeettanwar wrote:
Hi Guys,

I want to share my upside-down experience, which I went through recently with my GMAT exam. Usually people score less on mock tests and score better on real GMAT but for me it was the opposite. An average 680 score on mocks turned into a sad 570 on the real GMAT.

I studied for 2 months for my GMAT, which I took on Aug-02-2014. My score was 570 (Q48, V21). During my study period I gave 7 practice exams (GMATPrep - 2, Kaplan - 5) and here are my scores:

GMATPrep
1) 620 (Q47, V28)
2) 690 (Q49, V35)

Kaplan
1) 640 (Q49, V29)
2) 650 (Q49, V34)
3) 680 (Q49, V35)
4) 700 (Q50, V35)
5) 700 (Q50, V32)

I had read on multiple forums that Kaplan tests are tougher than GMATPrep tests and if one is scoring around 700 in Kaplan Tests then there are very good chances that one will score 700 +20,30 in the real GMAT. This is the reason why I chose Kaplan but for me the score tanked big time: 570 (Q48, V21). I don't know what to make of it. Was it just one bad day at office or I really don't know most of verbal. But then I fail to understand that if I am a dud at verbal then how I was getting scores in the range of 680-700 on mock tests.

Please guys, I request you to guide me here. What went wrong here? What should I do next and how should I find out what could have gone wrong?

Thanks,
Sumeet
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 27

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2014, 16:25
anaccident wrote:
What in the world?

While you were taking mock tests, did you also take AWA and IR? My guess would be that by the time you got to the verbal sections, nerves and fatigue broke you down. Do you remember what was going through your mind while you were taking the exam, in particular verbal section?

sumeettanwar wrote:
Hi Guys,

GMATPrep
1) 620 (Q47, V28)
2) 690 (Q49, V35)

Kaplan
1) 640 (Q49, V29)
2) 650 (Q49, V34)
3) 680 (Q49, V35)
4) 700 (Q50, V35)
5) 700 (Q50, V32)

Thanks,
Sumeet

Hi,

I answered all the sections every single time in all my mocks. And as far as what was going on in my mind during the real GMAT; I would say that to me everything was just fine until I saw the final score screen.

S.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2014, 19:23
Very nice suggestions ! This post is really gonna help millions. Thank you so much
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Education (Education)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2014, 13:01
From V31 to V37. There are many inspirational stories on GMAT on various threads. I wanted to share my experience.
First attempt on 12th Aug 2014- One month of Verbal preparation, Quant is my favorite subject and I keep doing it regularly so didn't prepare specially. Managed to score 680. I prepared from MGMAT guides for Sentence correction, Critical Reasoning, Reading Comprehension. I couldn't manage time to revise sentence correction. It is very important to learn the concepts and apply SC rules properly. It is very much a matter of logic than grammar. I went through the free videos on Egmat site and realized I had not prepared that well conceptually.
Q50
V31 :(
IR8
AWA6

Since I intend to apply for a top university PHD in Finance/Accounting program decided to prepare for my retake. Being a working professional, I knew I wont be able to give the necessary time for my preparation. I decided to join Egmat Verbal Live prep course. I started going through the videos and learn the concepts properly. I understood strategies and how to approach the GMAT after attending Egmat's strategy session. I started giving quant mocks and verbal mocks on GMAT club website. I was doing consistently well on quant scoring 50 and 51 on the mocks. I must say the analytics offered by Gmat club is simply amazing. The problem area was verbal and my inconsistency made me nervous. I knew I have to improve my verbal to score high on GMAT. There was little room for improvement in Quants made me more anxious. I had to get Q51 alongwith increasing my verbal score. My verbal mock score was hovering around 31 and went upto 35 but wasnt able to score consistently decent score. I realised that I wasnt applying the process learnt from the SC course of Egmat. Verbal is not my strong area and posts saying that avg improvement of GMAT score is minuscule increased my tension.

I prepared from Advanced Manhattan guide for Quants as I wanted to get that Q51. I gave my mocks regularly. Also I observed that my verbal accuracy reduced whenever I wasnt studying regularly. I decided to reduce my workload and study religiously for my GMAT. In the last week I took leave and put in lot of efforts in my preparation. I took notes, revised whatever I studied. As I read MGMAT SC guide I understood a lot of concepts which I hadn't understood previously. Couple of days before the actual test I appeared for my last verbal mock and I scored 25. I was devastated. I dont know if that was the right thing to do. Couple of hours later I reappeared and scored 34. I wasnt sure about my performance and was worried about my inconsistency. Also I had exhausted all my mocks and so I reset the question pool. May be I had seen the questions before and analysed my mistakes and that influenced the score of 34, all these things were on my mind.

The day arrived 24th Oct 2014. I was anxious and I quickly revised the concepts on my way to the exam center. I wrote my AWA pretty decent. Integrated reasoning I was doing pretty well at the half way mark. 6 questions I solved in 15mins. Unfortunately I couldn't answer the last question due to paucity of time. During the break I told myself this is my time and gave Quant and could complete all the questions with 5mins pending. Except for 3 questions which I guessed rest was well answered. In this break after the quant I was again nervous because this was what going to make or break my score. I decided to go little slow in the first half of the Verbal questions. In couple of questions I lost focus and my application to my mind, not having enough time to reappear for GMAT and in that time I strengthened the argument where the question was to weaken the argument. This is a complete No No and would suggest everyone appearing to GMAT to keep calm and stay focused. Knowing that you have marked a wrong answer makes matter worse. As I was going slow on initial question I had to rush in the 2nd half. In hindsight I should have balanced the timing a little better.

Finally I answered the last question at the last second and hit the submit button and started praying. First thing I saw was the 730 score and I was relieved more than happy.
Q51 :)
V37
IR7 :(

Hope this journey helps you with DOs and DONTs in your GMAT preparation and exam appearance.

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2014, 20:35
Hi,

I took the GMAT 3 weeks ago and scored a 620 (Q41, V35). I'm planning on retaking it at the end of December and want to score 700+ for a top 10 school. If I can reach the 700+, I want to apply this year for R2. I've already taken two GMAT courses and am worried about the correct study plan/strategy for the next two months since I'm planning to self-study now. I've met with a GMAT tutor three times to go over my weak areas (Algebra, FDPs, Word Problems, Number Properties, CR). My plan so far is to review most of the videos on Magoosh and I've already through the MGMAT strategy guides again to make sure I have the math concepts down. I will also go through OG 13 again and make sure I can solve each OG problem. However, I feel that I've seen a lot of the OG problems before and won't learn anything new. I'm also looking into getting the GMAT Club Quant tests. Am I using too many resources and if so, which ones should I be focusing on to mainly improve my quant score to at least a 47-48? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 24

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2014, 02:06
Expert's post
You should take an online course that offers a score improvement guarantee. By that you have no risks and can get professional preparation. Optimus Prep has several interesting options for you. If you are interested please visit our website or contact our support!

PS: We have huge discounts in NOV to attract re-takers like you. Our QUANT OR VERBAL BOOSTER are only $99 and our 180+ hours GMAT on demand course costs only $199 !!! It doesn't get better than that...

Cassandra Wolff
Customer Support | Optimus Prep

Facebook Linkedin Youtube Twitter slideshare Google+

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Education (Education)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2014, 20:14
lh68

If you can improve your Quant score, you will very well go beyond 700.
1 Do MGMAT guides for concept understanding. Dont jump to problem solving unless you have understood the concepts thoroughly.
2 Once you are confident about your quant preparation start giving your Gmat club tests (excellent tests). Advanced Manhattan guide is available once you start scoring Q49.
3 Are you consistent on your Verbal score. If not, that is a concern because you are not selecting answers for the right reason. I took the egmat verbal course plus read MGMAT guides and improved my score by 6 points.
4 While giving GMAT club tests, find out which areas within quants you are making mistakes- In my case it was DS- Modulus. Work on your weak areas. This will be the key between Q49 and Q50.

All the best in your preparation. May you reach your dream school.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 12

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2014, 05:05
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice to get me out of my troubling situation.

Scored a 710 in my first attempt (49Q 39V). I felt I could do a lot better. I was hoping to improve my quant to 50 and verbal to 40. So ended up giving the gmat a second time however ended up with a 680 (lower score in both quant and verbal) :cry:

Being an Indian applicant (without stellar undergrad credentials) I think I need a higher score and I'm planning to give the gmat again around the 10th of December. So exactly a month to go. While introspecting into what might have gone wrong I realized that my preparation lacked something pretty basic. I gave a lot of mock tests but never stuck to the exact timing. I used to often pause my tests, go on breaks and on instances completed tests over 2-3 days. The problem now is that I've used up all of my mock tests- Kaplan (all 5), MGMAT (all 6) and official gmatprep (both)

Moreover I've practiced questions from all over the place: Quant from -OG13, Quant review 2nd edition, Manhattan advance gmat, gmat 800, veritas, gmatclub math book and gmatclub.com questions. Verbal from- OG13, verbal review 2nd edition, veritas advanced, SC grail, etc.

I am really unsure as to how to restart studying and from where. Would appreciate if someone could help me out by recommending a plan of action and also recommending some other sources for practice. Also would be great if someone could suggest some other mock tests available (willing to pay for tests also)

Thanks
Ramalo
Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2014, 06:11
Expert's post
If you want to improve from 710 you will need a great private tutor who will teach you how to answer to the difficult questions. You need someone who will fine tune your knowledge and knows valuable insider knowledge on the test.

Feel free to contact Optimus Prep's support if you are interested in a free online trial hour!

Cassandra Wolff

Director
Director
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q V
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 96

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2014, 06:44
so I took the gmat nov 1st - 680. Some soft spots on quant so pretty sure I can improve. Question is - in my retake prep, I am focusing on answering questions in my problem areas - I am only going to retake 1 full test (I took around 10 before the first one) but I need a good test.

1. I already did all the manhattan GMAT ones.
2. I already did all 4 GMAT prep ones

Which test would be a good gauge. Do you think the economist is a good one? I think I might have a Princeton review one left but I've heard those scores are inflated.
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2014, 06:10
Hi,

I have taken gmat twice. The first time I Scored a disastrous 580(Q44, V27).
As it was no where near my target score of 740+, I decided to take time, prepare and write again.
Last month I wrote again but fell short of my target quite miserably. I scored a 660(Q49,V30).
I blacked out half way through my verbal, and everything started looking very tough to me. Though the first half of verbal went fine, I got stuck on a tough RC passage for 15 minutes. So I panicked and rest of the section went haywire.

Though I improved 80 points, I know it will not be the same to improve from 660 to 740.
Like many Indian IT GMAT takers, I am poor at verbal.

I'll really appreciate your views, I have to retake the gmat (in a month). Please advice what strategy should I follow.
I am looking for new material for verbal preparation. I have already finished manhattan gmat.
I have read that e-gmat verbal is really good for non-natives . Please advice on whats the best way to improve my verbal score.

Your views will be very helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 12-03-2014

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2014, 10:53
Hi, I took my GMAT today and got a 600(Q-39,V-34) :(
Even though its a 110 point increment from my initial diagnostic, I'm really disappointed as clearly this score is not enough to get into most schools(Kelley,Schulich,George town) which I plan to apply to.(The schools have an avg gmat score of 650).
I'm really shocked with my Quant score and not sure what happened during the test. I feel the score doesn't represent my quant ability but am still not sure whether I should re-take the gmat. Any suggestions ??
Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2014, 11:31
Expert's post
110 points is a lot improvement...you should keep that in mind.

To improve your quant score I can recommend Optimus Prep's QUANT BOOSTER which covers all concepts from A-Z and includes thousands of questions.

If you are interested sign up for a 7 days free trial account without providing any payment details.

If you have any questions contact our support!

Here is the link: http://www.optimus-prep.com/gmat-quant-booster

Cassandra Wolff

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V32

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2014, 04:19
Hey Everyone,

I recently took the GMAT and scored much lower than I hoped (590 V32 Q39). It is a no brainer that I will retake the test again in February and start studying again very soon. I am in Germany (originally from Canada) so I did everything on my own. My question is what materials should I get in order to prepare for the next test (online course, books etc.) and any other advice for a retake? My target score is 700. I realize that it is a big increase from my first exam but I was testing in the higher 600 range prior to the test.

First attempt: 590, 39Q, 32V, IR7
Practice tests

GMAT prep 570, 620

Vertias prep: 680,660,670,650 all with verbal over 38 and quant over 39.

Materials:
Gmat official guide, quant and verbal extras
Veritas tutorials
Veritas extra practice exams
GMATprep

Cheers.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2014, 10:53
Hi BB/Brunel,

I have a major concern. I gave my first attempt at GMAT and got a 670 (Q48 V34 IR5 AWA5.5). I gave my second attempt just yesterday and got a 710 (Q50 V35 IR2). My IR score is really troubling me because I am looking to apply to some of the top MBAcolleges in the US in 2016/2017 and by then IR might hold a lot of value in the application process. It might make all the others with a similar GMAT score have better chances of selection than me. I am extremely confused as to whether or not I should retake the exam. The various questions bothering me are:

1.) What if my score goes down in the next attempt?

2.) Will a score of 5 in IR in my first attempt have any positive affect on the damage that the low IR score on my second attempt may cause.

3.) Will such a low IR score affect my candidature at the time of placements even if I do get into a good B School with my current 710.

Please help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: AS - Gold, UA - Silver, HH-Diamond
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2732

Kudos [?]: 13594 [0], given: 3866

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2014, 12:11
Expert's post
anchalgulati22 wrote:
Hi BB/Brunel,

I have a major concern. I gave my first attempt at GMAT and got a 670 (Q48 V34 IR5 AWA5.5). I gave my second attempt just yesterday and got a 710 (Q50 V35 IR2). My IR score is really troubling me because I am looking to apply to some of the top MBAcolleges in the US in 2016/2017 and by then IR might hold a lot of value in the application process. It might make all the others with a similar GMAT score have better chances of selection than me. I am extremely confused as to whether or not I should retake the exam. The various questions bothering me are:

1.) What if my score goes down in the next attempt?

2.) Will a score of 5 in IR in my first attempt have any positive affect on the damage that the low IR score on my second attempt may cause.

3.) Will such a low IR score affect my candidature at the time of placements even if I do get into a good B School with my current 710.

Please help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Doublepost. Already replied.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2014, 12:11

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22    Next  [ 436 posts ]