Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 17:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2014, 02:29
hello frds,
i am trying for GMAT this year ..and i found one site on that site practice material is available..if any buddy trying for GMAT & GRE ..and want any preparation material then check this link you will get old question papers etc..check out msmbainusa
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 15

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2014, 20:08
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Guys,

I want to share my upside-down experience, which I went through recently with my GMAT exam. Usually people score less on mock tests and score better on real GMAT but for me it was the opposite. An average 680 score on mocks turned into a sad 570 on the real GMAT.

I studied for 2 months for my GMAT, which I took on Aug-02-2014. My score was 570 (Q48, V21). During my study period I gave 7 practice exams (GMATPrep - 2, Kaplan - 5) and here are my scores:

GMATPrep
1) 620 (Q47, V28)
2) 690 (Q49, V35)

Kaplan
1) 640 (Q49, V29)
2) 650 (Q49, V34)
3) 680 (Q49, V35)
4) 700 (Q50, V35)
5) 700 (Q50, V32)

I had read on multiple forums that Kaplan tests are tougher than GMATPrep tests and if one is scoring around 700 in Kaplan Tests then there are very good chances that one will score 700 +20,30 in the real GMAT. This is the reason why I chose Kaplan but for me the score tanked big time: 570 (Q48, V21). I don't know what to make of it. Was it just one bad day at office or I really don't know most of verbal. But then I fail to understand that if I am a dud at verbal then how I was getting scores in the range of 680-700 on mock tests.

Please guys, I request you to guide me here. What went wrong here? What should I do next and how should I find out what could have gone wrong?

Thanks,
Sumeet
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2014, 09:37
Hi ,

I wanted a few advice on the retaking the GMAT exam and also suggestion on how I can improve my GMAT score.
I scored a 600 today ( 50Q ,20V) . I always have had issues with verbal but my performance was never this poor. I used to get at least 28+ anyday. I am planning to take a retest . Some schools might question me on why I got such a low score in the first place in case of verbal but that is for another time. My concern right now is how do I prepare well for verbal ?

I have low confidence which I am unable to boost as I hardly get good scores in mocks. Do you guys think that it is possible to improve my score? I am willing to take a retest because I cannot go worse than this . I am pretty confident with my Quant so no issues there.

I would be really grateful if you can advice me in any way.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
GMAT 690: Retake or not Retake ? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2014, 00:51
Hi Guys!

May I kindly ask you to share your opinion on my GMAT result, as I am a bit puzzled how I shall proceed?! I took a test yesterday and scored only 690 (Q49, V35, IR2).

Verbal and IR are terribly low and theoretically I can boost them up if I retake the exam (my Verbal score was 38-40 in practice tests; however, on the contrary, Quant was never above 45-47; and to be super honest Math during the real test felt to me relatively easy and straightforward, while Verbal was very difficult & confusing vs. everything I have encountered during my preps).

My plan was to apply to HBS at R1 and to CBS as a RD (after October 8th). Now, if I retake, I will need to miss a R1 deadline at HBS and go to the R2. (Columbia is still on track though).

In this context, what do you think would be the best strategy for the HBS? Shall I retake GMAT? Can a good GPA (3.9) / TOEFL score (111) at least partially compensate for the low Verbal score? As my overall background: I am 28yo, Russian girl, currently living in Paris (+3 years in Geneva before), working as a brand manager in a leading FMCG company, solid career track, good GPA, TOEFL, yet not GMAT...

...so, shall I retake GMAT (to hopefully cross a 700 mark) and apply later or go as it is at R1 (which can be an uphill battle at HBS)?

Thanks a LOT in advance, guys!!!!!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 65

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2014, 10:51
What in the world?

While you were taking mock tests, did you also take AWA and IR? My guess would be that by the time you got to the verbal sections, nerves and fatigue broke you down. Do you remember what was going through your mind while you were taking the exam, in particular verbal section?

sumeettanwar wrote:
Hi Guys,

I want to share my upside-down experience, which I went through recently with my GMAT exam. Usually people score less on mock tests and score better on real GMAT but for me it was the opposite. An average 680 score on mocks turned into a sad 570 on the real GMAT.

I studied for 2 months for my GMAT, which I took on Aug-02-2014. My score was 570 (Q48, V21). During my study period I gave 7 practice exams (GMATPrep - 2, Kaplan - 5) and here are my scores:

GMATPrep
1) 620 (Q47, V28)
2) 690 (Q49, V35)

Kaplan
1) 640 (Q49, V29)
2) 650 (Q49, V34)
3) 680 (Q49, V35)
4) 700 (Q50, V35)
5) 700 (Q50, V32)

I had read on multiple forums that Kaplan tests are tougher than GMATPrep tests and if one is scoring around 700 in Kaplan Tests then there are very good chances that one will score 700 +20,30 in the real GMAT. This is the reason why I chose Kaplan but for me the score tanked big time: 570 (Q48, V21). I don't know what to make of it. Was it just one bad day at office or I really don't know most of verbal. But then I fail to understand that if I am a dud at verbal then how I was getting scores in the range of 680-700 on mock tests.

Please guys, I request you to guide me here. What went wrong here? What should I do next and how should I find out what could have gone wrong?

Thanks,
Sumeet
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2014, 16:25
anaccident wrote:
What in the world?

While you were taking mock tests, did you also take AWA and IR? My guess would be that by the time you got to the verbal sections, nerves and fatigue broke you down. Do you remember what was going through your mind while you were taking the exam, in particular verbal section?

sumeettanwar wrote:
Hi Guys,

GMATPrep
1) 620 (Q47, V28)
2) 690 (Q49, V35)

Kaplan
1) 640 (Q49, V29)
2) 650 (Q49, V34)
3) 680 (Q49, V35)
4) 700 (Q50, V35)
5) 700 (Q50, V32)

Thanks,
Sumeet

Hi,

I answered all the sections every single time in all my mocks. And as far as what was going on in my mind during the real GMAT; I would say that to me everything was just fine until I saw the final score screen.

S.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2014, 19:23
Very nice suggestions ! This post is really gonna help millions. Thank you so much
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2014, 19:23