Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2235

Kudos [?]: 8408 [0], given: 3646

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 09:29
Expert's post
sunnyrollen wrote:
Thanks BB... I haven't been much active on this forum but looks like this is the place to be.. There are tons of resources available for people who are interested in writing the GMAT.... You will see me more often hereon..

I plan to reattempt and kill this beast with a target of 730+.

Yes, more "stuff" than you can imagine or we can organize :lol:

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

retake the gmat [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 15:26
Hi

I just want to know that if i want to retake the gmat do i have to pay again 250 dollars again?
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: retake the gmat [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 15:28
rusth wrote:
Hi

I just want to know that if i want to retake the gmat do i have to pay again 250 dollars again?

of course
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: retake the gmat [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 19:03
It would be a lot easier to decide on a retake if it was free.

Then everyone would just take it multiple times to get over 700.

$250 is a pretty steep price to pay; best to prepare as much as possible next time.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 08:01
Hi everyone, this is my first gmatclub post. I have been a frequent reader of the US MBA program posts, but have not yet contributed. If I don't post properly according to GC protocols, I apologize in advance.

I have a question about whether I should retake the GMAT. I'm currently admitted to Darden and Ross for the class of 2012, but I'm waitlisted at Chicago Booth, which is my top choice. I applied with a 690. 45Q(75%) 39V(87%). My UG GPA was a 3.3. Both stats are lower than Booth's profile of 3.5 and 714.

I last took the test in November 2008 and I took a Kaplan course and did private tutoring with my teacher after the course was over to get my score up. Before the 690, I had a rough performance in July of 2008 with a 560. It was due to test anxiety, which got the better of me and I guessed on several questions at the end of each section.

Given that it has been a year and a half since I've studied/taken a test, would I be foolish to think I could retake the GMAT within a month's time and get a 700+ score? Besides the possibility of increasing my chances of moving off the waitlist, I've been told that the top management consulting firms want students with 700+ scores.

I would basically wait to submit my scores until I saw the results. If I scored badly, I wouldn't submit the new score to Chicago, but if I scored well, I would e-mail them with an update on my performance. Thoughts?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 09:20
Expert's post
BoothHopeful wrote:
Hi everyone, this is my first gmatclub post. I have been a frequent reader of the US MBA program posts, but have not yet contributed. If I don't post properly according to GC protocols, I apologize in advance.

I have a question about whether I should retake the GMAT. I'm currently admitted to Darden and Ross for the class of 2012, but I'm waitlisted at Chicago Booth, which is my top choice. I applied with a 690. 45Q(75%) 39V(87%). My UG GPA was a 3.3. Both stats are lower than Booth's profile of 3.5 and 714.

I last took the test in November 2008 and I took a Kaplan course and did private tutoring with my teacher after the course was over to get my score up. Before the 690, I had a rough performance in July of 2008 with a 560. It was due to test anxiety, which got the better of me and I guessed on several questions at the end of each section.

Given that it has been a year and a half since I've studied/taken a test, would I be foolish to think I could retake the GMAT within a month's time and get a 700+ score? Besides the possibility of increasing my chances of moving off the waitlist, I've been told that the top management consulting firms want students with 700+ scores.

I would basically wait to submit my scores until I saw the results. If I scored badly, I wouldn't submit the new score to Chicago, but if I scored well, I would e-mail them with an update on my performance. Thoughts?

Would booth accept a revised score?
I know many schools will not take an updated score - please check to be certain.

P.S. Congratulations on other admits by the way; those are great schools as well.

My guess would be - maybe. I have seen people go up and down; hard to tell. If you have 3 hrs/day to go through a set of 8 MGMAT books in a month, then a much stronger maybe.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Current Student

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 10:32
BB, Thanks for the feedback. I think calling Booth Admissions and asking is the right first step. If the answer is yes, I may take a practice GMAT over the weekend to assess how rusty I am, although I'm guessing I'm pretty rusty. Dedicating 3 hours per day to MGMAT books is doable.

bb wrote:
BoothHopeful wrote:

Would booth accept a revised score?
I know many schools will not take an updated score - please check to be certain.

P.S. Congratulations on other admits by the way; those are great schools as well.

My guess would be - maybe. I have seen people go up and down; hard to tell. If you have 3 hrs/day to go through a set of 8 MGMAT books in a month, then a much stronger maybe.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 12:01
Expert's post
BoothHopeful wrote:
BB, Thanks for the feedback. I think calling Booth Admissions and asking is the right first step. If the answer is yes, I may take a practice GMAT over the weekend to assess how rusty I am, although I'm guessing I'm pretty rusty. Dedicating 3 hours per day to MGMAT books is doable.

By the way, I am very curious if Booth would take an update score - please post back your findings.
Also, see this: waitlist-best-practices-58801.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Current Student

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 13:51
I called Booth and they will accept updated scores. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the waitlist thread as well.

bb wrote:
BoothHopeful wrote:

By the way, I am very curious if Booth would take an update score - please post back your findings.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 00:27
Hi dear gmatclubbers,

I have just finished gmat 10 min ago and I got 750 (51, 40, 98%ile)!

Should I retake? I'm genuinely worried. What makes me feel bad is that I didn't manage my time well and I literally had to blind guess the last 15% of verbal questions.

I have only 2.5 years of work experience and I rely on a 99%ile score to bring some light to my application for top schools.

1) Do you think extra scores can being me significant value to compensate my comparatively short work experience?

2) If I retake, does a lower score affect the ad com's percention on my 750 score? (I know questions similar to this one have been asked for dozen times, but I need some assurance..)

3) Is my verbal sub score too low?

Any other advice?

Thanks a lot!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 23:04
Expert's post
calvinhobbes wrote:
Hi dear gmatclubbers,

Should I retake? I'm genuinely worried. What makes me feel bad is that I didn't manage my time well and I literally had to blind guess the last 15% of verbal questions.

I have only 2.5 years of work experience and I rely on a 99%ile score to bring some light to my application for top schools.

1) Do you think extra scores can being me significant value to compensate my comparatively short work experience?

2) If I retake, does a lower score affect the ad com's percention on my 750 score? (I know questions similar to this one have been asked for dozen times, but I need some assurance..)

Any other advice?

Thanks a lot!

Ha-ha. :lol: You have a great score!
Don't waste your time on improving 750.

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 31 May 2010, 00:56
bb wrote:
calvinhobbes wrote:
Hi dear gmatclubbers,

Any other advice?

Thanks a lot!

Ha-ha. :lol: You have a great score!
Don't waste your time on improving 750.

Thanks. I should rather spend time on the essays then. They are even more challenging...
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 177

Kudos [?]: 932 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 31 May 2010, 02:01
calvinhobbes wrote:
Hi dear gmatclubbers,

Any other advice?

Thanks a lot!

Massive score, if you retake now you will have to give solid reason for that to adcoms.
730+ and retake :) :-D is foolish step.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 07:58
Hi,
I am devastated :shock: by my score. In span of one year, twice i have taken GMAT and got 410 and 430 only. Since last 6 months, I'm preparing for my 3rd attempt.On my second attempt I used all these materials:

MGMAT 8 books,
KAPLAN Verbal Work Book and 800,
PowerScore CR Bible,
OG-10,11 & 12,
OG Quant and verbal review both 1st and 2nd edition,
Spidey's notes.
Flash Cards,
Maintained error-logs.

Since I'm non-native english speaker thinking seriously "is GMAT is for me".Took tests religiously under strict exam like condition with 75 mins and 8 min break in between.My scores on GMATPrep were:

GMATprep1 (1st attempt) - 650 (Q45/V34)
GMATprep2 (1st attempt) - 650 (Q48/V32)
GMATprep1 (2nd attempt) - 720 (Q47/V44) (4 days before exam)
GMATprep2 (2nd attempt) - 710 (Q47/V42) (2 days before exam)

Beside that I took all 6 MGMAT CAT Tests.

Manhattan CAT 1: 720 (Q47, V42)
Manhattan CAT 2: 700 (Q47, V39)
Manhattan CAT 3: 770 (Q50, V45)
Manhattan CAT 4: 760 (Q49, V45)
Manhattan CAT 5: 760 (Q51, V42)
Manhattan CAT 6: 720 (Q47, V42)

Free Kaplan test-510(Split i dont know).

Exhausted my all resources, since I'm studying from past 1 year :cry: .

Some mistakes which I realized :( , I'm not a morning person and my both GMAT were in morning 9 o clock, had sleepless night because of anxiety.Studying more than 4-5 hrs daily on weekdays and 8-9 hrs on weekends exhausted me and altered all my routine, no morning walk or any physical exercise and complete cut-off from social circle, that has put mental pressure on me and feeling like low grasping ability.Before my second attempt 1 day back had high fever & I carried it to exam center.Never had problem in pacing and finished my tests on time neither too early nor too late.One never know he/her is doing well, until ones score flashes.

On 31st May(Memorial Day) Took all 6 verbal tests on GMAT CLUB for free and scored in 20-25%.
Don't know after reading numerous times these MGMAT SC and PowerScore CR Bible, I'm tumbling.

I badly want to improve my GMAT Score, and have read all GMAT expr. for getting clearer path. :!:

Being in engineer,I thought Quant Section is cake-walk(depends on my MGMAT Scores).
Having more than 9 yrs of expr in IT and avg cgpa :oops: .

Plz help !

:?:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 09:09
Hi,
I took my GMAT in Dec '09.
My GMAT score is 660 (QA 49, VA 31)
Had got 720,730,740(repeat) in my GMATPrep,
600,670 in Kaplan (older ones),
690,630,690,710,740,690 in Manhattan's MGMAT.
I am looking at applying to Duke, Darden, Haas for 2011. Also NUS in Singapore.
Indian IT Male working in IT dept. of an Investment Bank.
I have 3 yrs wrk ex currently. Also cleared CFA Level 1 exam in Jun '09.
Do you guys suggest me taking a retake considering my schools and my profile??
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 11:32
Guys, I just wrote my GMAT and got an easy 730 with 2 or so weeks of preparation.
I am thinking of studying another month or so and retaking to get a better score (750+).
Question for u out there: is the advantage of a lets say 760 gmat high compared to a 730??
or would u say its not worth the work?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 06:13
helpful for who want to retake, though i wish i never have to
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 00:39
I took GMAT in 2008 Jan and got a score of 740(Q-50, V-41). I am looking forward to apply for 2011 MBA class. Should I consider taking GMAT again
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V44

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 29

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 06:35
very helpful info, thank you
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 10:48
I'm retaking soon and I've sent the scores to the five schools I'm considering. Question is for the retake, do I have to select those schools again in order for them to get the retake score or since the reports reflect all the tests taken for the last five years, can one assume that GMAC would update those schools selected on the first take of my retake score?
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2010, 10:48