Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I retake the GMAT?!?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Should I retake the GMAT?!? [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2004, 14:42
I just took the GMAT for the first time and scored a 660 (91% in Verbal and 61% in Math). I intensely prepared for the GMAT using Princeton Review, Kaplan, and Arco. I am disappointed with my test results b/c in all of my practice tests I scored above the 80th percentile in Math and typically scored in the 70th percentile in the verbal. I was extremely happy w/ my verbal score, but extremely disappointed with my math score. Should I retake the test? I am confident I will score better in the math, but not as confident that I will do better or even equal my verbal performance. Will a 660 put me at a disadvantage when applying to top 10 schools? Even worse, If II retake the GMAT for a second time and my score drops, am I "shooting myself in the foot"? Can I only report my highest GMAT score? Can I combine my first verbal score w/ a math score from a retake (Probably NOT, but I thought I'd ask)?

I studied Biology and graduated w/ honors (3.65 GPA). I have 3 years of top pharma sales experience at a Fortune 100 company. I have 1 year experience as a sales trainer, and 1 year experience as a Global Project Manager w/ great leaderhip initiatives (all 5 years w/ the same company). What are my chances of getting into a top MBA school w/ a 660? What a score of 680-700 greatly improve my chances?

Any input you could provide me would be greatly appreciated...THANKS!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2004, 19:36
A 660 for top ten schools is right around the 80% mark, meaning that 90% of GMAT scores are equal to or greater than 660. Making that score means that you're in the game -- in other words that your GMAT wouldn't completely take you out of the running. Nevertheless, given your confidence that you can improve, you might want to consider giving it another shot with some additional preparation. You should know that schools will take your highest of the two scores, so giving it another shot holds little downside other than the time it will take to do so.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Follow Up Question [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2004, 07:20
Thanks for the response Truthringer! I decided to retake the GMAT in November. I understand that my current 660 score is below the average and gives me an opportunity at a top 10 school, but what about my background that I described in my previous message? Is it solid, below average, above average, etc?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2004, 08:08
Hi,

As suggested above, many of the elite/ultraelite schools explicitly state that they use the highest score in evaluating applicants. In addition, Dartmouth states that it considers the highest subscores of students, even if they were obtained from different sittings of the test.

The nominal GPA that you cite is strong and exceeds the middle of the distribution for virtually every elite and ultraelite schools. The work experience sounds good as well, but the key is how one markets this experience to the admissions officers.

Hjort