Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 08:49

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I retake the GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 08-08-2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 63

Should I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 12:12
Just took the test and didn't do so well. I got a 690. 2 years ago, that would have put me in the 90+ percentile. Now, 690 is around 88 percentile.

I don't want to sit for that exam again, but I take it that I will have a small chance getting into a top 10 school with a 690. The top schools have an average GMAT score of around 720 or so, but what's the range? How low do they go?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 17:33
This post received
KUDOS
Yalephd wrote:
Just took the test and didn't do so well. I got a 690. 2 years ago, that would have put me in the 90+ percentile. Now, 690 is around 88 percentile.

I don't want to sit for that exam again, but I take it that I will have a small chance getting into a top 10 school with a 690. The top schools have an average GMAT score of around 720 or so, but what's the range? How low do they go?

As a reassurance, plenty of people get in top schools with a 690.

First off, congratulations! 690, even if it means a 88 percentile, means that you beat out 88 percent of the test-takers. That's pretty amazing!

With that said, while top 10 schools may have an average around 720 (probably more like 710-715, but who's counting? :P ), keep in mind that with such a huge sample size at big schools such as CBS, half of the matriculating students are below 710-720 (and of course, half are above). Everything's a bit relative and if you ask anyone, GMAT score is only one indicator. I don't know much about you and your profile, so I can't be a fair-er judge to you. At any rate, a lower GMAT score can be complemented by a higher GPA. Good work experience and proven leadership skills can also help. A 690 alone will not be the judge of all things, as Stanford rejected GMAT scores of 800's as well. It depends on your whole package.

Lastly, on the GMAT subject - if you're constantly scoring higher than a 730 on your practice exams and believe that your ability is 730 or above, I think you should do yourself a favor and retake the exam and get that score. Otherwise, I don't think a 690 or a 710 would really make or break your application to, say, Dartmouth Tuck or Northwestern Kellogg. If you're constantly scoring around the 700 (+/- 10 to 20 points), you have really got a score that is around your ability. And if that were the case and that you're gunning for a 730 or above, it would take more than just signing up for an exam - it would take additional hours and hours of practice before you'd hit a 730. I'm not trying to douse your fire, but I hope you understand that your 690 alone will most likely not be the key to a rejection. It would be a combination of different factors that attribute to a rejection. On the other hand, a 740 on GMAT will not be the only reason schools admit an applicant; it would also be a myriad of reasons (great interviews, great essays, great letters, good scores, and good work experience) that get this same applicant admitted.

If you truly want a "range" of scores, simply look at the class profiles of the published information on the school's website. All top schools will print out their mid-80 percentile (10%-90%) of the GMAT scores. A mid-80-percentile of 680-740 would put you at a more difficult situation whereas a mid-80-percenile of 640-720 would put you at a pretty good advantage.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 08-08-2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 63

Re: Should I retake the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 17:45
Thank you, Bakfed. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. My highest practice test score was 710 so the 690 is probably an accurate reflection of my current abilities. From your post, I get the sense that there isn't a big difference between 690 and 710. Being honest with myself, I'm probably not going to jump up to 760 in one month.

Thank you, Bakfed.
Re: Should I retake the GMAT?   [#permalink] 10 May 2011, 17:45