Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 03:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

should i retake the GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

should i retake the GMAT [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 07:21
Hi
This is Siddharth ,i gave my GMAT 2 days ago and got 700 (Q 49,VA 35) ,i am not happy with my score and am confused whether i should retake the exam ,please advise me on this.My profile is as follows

Betech in Computer Science Engineering
Experience 4 Yrs in IT (have worked on various diffrent technologies asnd also have some research experience including a few papers and patents)
Extracurricular profile not a lot to talk of (there are a few but nothing significantly big)

hence i would please request all to please advise me on my next step,bb had told on a post that for Indian It person it is extremely important to get as high a score as possible, i was thinking to apply to a few colleges in round 2 but am now apprehensive,please kindly advise what would be the best thing for me to do.
I appreciate all your help.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks and regards,
Sidd
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 123 [1] , given: 79

Re: should i retake the GMAT [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 08:08
This post received
KUDOS
Exactly--if you give the GMAT a second shot, schools will look at your higher score, even if it comes on your first test.

For the most part, MBA programs aren't terribly concerned about IR yet. The IR section is still new, and nobody really knows if it is an accurate predictor of student success in business school or beyond, so it's not really a factor in admissions for this season. It's possible that IR will become more important in future seasons, but for now, the best advice is to put enough energy into it that you don't embarrass yourself... but a 4 or a 5 is probably fine for now.

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 79

Re: should i retake the GMAT [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 18:13
Congratulations on joining the 700 Club, Sidd! That's a great score, and you should be especially proud of your quant.

Honestly, the answers to your questions depend almost entirely on where you want to go. If you're an IIT male shooting for top-15 U.S. programs, then yes, your GMAT score is probably below average for your demographic, unfortunately.

But if you're looking at a broader range of schools, then a 700 might be plenty, especially if you can find ways to distinguish yourself from other applicants with broadly similar profiles. The patents sound great. Would you be able to tell some nice, interesting leadership stories from the last four years of work? Could you find a way to sell the adcom on your extracurriculars, even if you don't think they're particularly impressive? Is your career vision a little bit more interesting (and convincing) than that of your fellow IIT male applicants? Can you write your application in a way that makes you seem like a particularly interesting, passionate, and likable character? It probably isn't crazy to suggest that your ability to market yourself well is every bit as valuable as an extra 30 or 40 points on your GMAT score.

So if you're actually serious about second-round applications this year, then it probably makes sense to focus on your applications for now, and then you can worry about the GMAT afterwards. But again, all of this depends on where, exactly, you're trying to go.

I hope this helps. Good luck with everything, and congrats again on the 700!

Manager
Manager

Re: should i retake the GMAT [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 21:49
Hi GMATNinja

Thanks for your response,i was hoping to get at least a few more responses which would help me take a concrete decision,just wanted to know that if i plan to retake the exam once more the schools will not hold that against me right ie will the schools select the best score ,i will try my best second time but just wanted to be sure that the schools will consider the best score just in case .

Thanks in advance

Thanks and regards,
Sidd
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 79

Re: should i retake the GMAT [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 22:38
You definitely don't have to worry about schools holding a GMAT retake against you, Sidd. They always take the highest score, and it's pretty standard to see applicants retake the exam these days. It's mostly a matter of figuring out whether a retake is actually worth your time at this point in the application calendar.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out the main "should I retake the GMAT" thread, which includes some pretty stellar advice from bb: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

Manager
Manager

Re: should i retake the GMAT [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 23:25
Hi GMATNinja
Ok,so basically you are saying that if in case i give it a second shot and end up on a lower score i can still apply with 700 score with no negative impact ,correct.Also i had another question is integrated reasoning score considered very important by the schools as i need to improve that tremendously .

Thanks in advance

Thanks and regards,
Sidd
Manager
Manager

Re: should i retake the GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 10:58
Hi GMATNinja

Thanks a lot for your advise, with your encouragement i will give the exam another crack,just wanted to know as you must be knowing in India there is a huge craze for ISB Hydrabad ,so wanted to know what sort of score and profile would be good for that school and also for Nus Singapore ,also are there any scholarships available for the various mba schools around the world , also are these global mba schools (like American schools Nus etc) 1 year programs or 2 year programs.

Thanks again for all your help ,

Thanks and regards,
Sidd
Re: should i retake the GMAT   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2013, 10:58