Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is Fuqua/Emory Realistic for low GPA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 40

Is Fuqua/Emory Realistic for low GPA? [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 22:46
I had a bad undergrad GPA, and I doubt that my work experience will count for much since i'm in more of a sales position than anything else.. (Financial advisor at one of UBS/ML/MSSB/WF)

I got a 710 on the GMAT (44Q/44V) but I know that the quantitative part counts more.. and historically I've tested better in math (i got a 740 math and only a 720 verbal SAT, for comparison). I only studied a week before the exam and finished the exam with the final 3 questions in the quantitative section unanswered... should've practiced more but I guess that's why I took it early.

The downside is that I only have a 3.13 GPA from a state school. I majored in Finance and got the BBA rather than the B.S. and have As in all of my math classes but I came down with mono my senior year, was bedridden for over a month, and got all C's / D's in a lot of my major courses, including my capstone finance class (hence why i became a Financial Advisor instead of an investment banker.. although graduating in 2009 didn't help :P ).

Schools I'm looking at: Berkeley (yeah right...) Duke (maybe?) Emory (hopefully..) UCLA (only if i get rejected by Duke and Emory.. but it's doubtful i'll get rejected by both of them and accepted at UCLA) and Georgia Tech (fall back.. but at this level is it worth it?)

A friend told me I could prob get into a top 5... I highly doubt it and I don't really want to even spend the money to apply. I plan on taking CFA lvl 1 in December, though, so if I pass that I think it would go a LONG way to undoing my bad undergrad GPA and then maybe i'd have a chance... but only if I passed.

I make pretty decent money doing what I'm doing, and I legitimately enjoy the sales aspect of it, but it's intellectually boring and, more importantly, I hate the fact that I'm not on the front lines of the market. I don't want to go into PE or VC because I know i'd have a snowball's chance in hell of getting in, but I'd love to be a portfolio manager or even take a shot at corporate finance. I ran a small time web development company back in college and I'd love to refocus on technology / database management / programming as well and use that in either portfolio management or corporate finance.

I live in LA but I'm from Georgia... I can't go to a school in NYC because of my 110 lbs dog but I'm open to anything. Money isn't that much of an issue BUT I have to have to go to a school with a decent student health insurance program because of a condition that would otherwise cost me $20k/yr.

TL;DR?

710 GMAT (44q/44v) but 3.13 GPA from state school (BBA in Finance). Can I get into duke and/or Emory? Should I raise/lower my expectations?

Thanks! Sorry for the essay!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 42

Re: Is Fuqua/Emory Realistic for low GPA? [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 06:57
dave785 wrote:
I had a bad undergrad GPA, and I doubt that my work experience will count for much since i'm in more of a sales position than anything else.. (Financial advisor at one of UBS/ML/MSSB/WF)

I got a 710 on the GMAT (44Q/44V) but I know that the quantitative part counts more.. and historically I've tested better in math (i got a 740 math and only a 720 verbal SAT, for comparison). I only studied a week before the exam and finished the exam with the final 3 questions in the quantitative section unanswered... should've practiced more but I guess that's why I took it early.

The downside is that I only have a 3.13 GPA from a state school. I majored in Finance and got the BBA rather than the B.S. and have As in all of my math classes but I came down with mono my senior year, was bedridden for over a month, and got all C's / D's in a lot of my major courses, including my capstone finance class (hence why i became a Financial Advisor instead of an investment banker.. although graduating in 2009 didn't help :P ).

Schools I'm looking at: Berkeley (yeah right...) Duke (maybe?) Emory (hopefully..) UCLA (only if i get rejected by Duke and Emory.. but it's doubtful i'll get rejected by both of them and accepted at UCLA) and Georgia Tech (fall back.. but at this level is it worth it?)

A friend told me I could prob get into a top 5... I highly doubt it and I don't really want to even spend the money to apply. I plan on taking CFA lvl 1 in December, though, so if I pass that I think it would go a LONG way to undoing my bad undergrad GPA and then maybe i'd have a chance... but only if I passed.

I make pretty decent money doing what I'm doing, and I legitimately enjoy the sales aspect of it, but it's intellectually boring and, more importantly, I hate the fact that I'm not on the front lines of the market. I don't want to go into PE or VC because I know i'd have a snowball's chance in hell of getting in, but I'd love to be a portfolio manager or even take a shot at corporate finance. I ran a small time web development company back in college and I'd love to refocus on technology / database management / programming as well and use that in either portfolio management or corporate finance.

I live in LA but I'm from Georgia... I can't go to a school in NYC because of my 110 lbs dog but I'm open to anything. Money isn't that much of an issue BUT I have to have to go to a school with a decent student health insurance program because of a condition that would otherwise cost me $20k/yr.

TL;DR?

710 GMAT (44q/44v) but 3.13 GPA from state school (BBA in Finance). Can I get into duke and/or Emory? Should I raise/lower my expectations?

Thanks! Sorry for the essay!

Hey Dave! I definitely think Duke/Emory is possible for you. If you look at the chart on duke-fuqua-2013-calling-all-applicants-134412.html you will see there are quite a few people with your stats who were accepted. The fact that you did well in math definitely helps, plus it sounds like you have a reason you can point to for your grade decline. I didn't even address my low GPA (lower than yours) because I didn't have a valid reason other than I preferred to focus on sports in college. Obviously your GPA and GMAT are only two pieces of the puzzle, so you'll need to make sure you put together strong applications that show you have a clear idea of your career goals (think it helps if they are feasible and somewhat backed up by your work/extracurricular experience to date) and why an MBA from that specific school is essential to achieving those goals. Your GPA is by no means going to exclude you from any school (that includes Haas), it might just mean you need to put together more solid essays.
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 310 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Is Fuqua/Emory Realistic for low GPA? [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 07:23
Concur with Dakells - your raw stats are fine. Now it's up to articulating why MBA, why Duke/Emory/Haas.

If you don't get into Haas, it's not your GPA, it's the fact that they admit around 12%-13% due to their small size and primo Bay area location. For context, HBS admits at the same rate.

If you have the time and know you can do better on the quant portion, I would take another stab at the GMAT. 3 questions unanswered is a lot, so it looks like you need to nail down the timing. A 44V is crazy good, while a 44Q leaves much to be desired. If you can raise your quant to a 47ish (while maintaining a verbal in the 40s) you'll be approaching that coveted 730-750 range which will further alleviate concerns about your undergrad GPA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Is Fuqua/Emory Realistic for low GPA? [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 07:50
why leave points on the table? If you feel you could improve your score go for it...

The gmat is only the first hurdle, you'll be spending crazy amounts of time writing essays and interviewing... when all is said and done, you'll want to know you gave these schools your best pitch.

Do I think you can get into Duke/Emory with a 710 44q, yes... But if you don't feel that is a true representation of your skills, give it another shot.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 40

Re: Is Fuqua/Emory Realistic for low GPA? [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 09:22
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback :).

I've got some free time at night on my hands and can afford to take it again, so why not.
Re: Is Fuqua/Emory Realistic for low GPA?   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2013, 09:22