Hi Folks just looking for some advice. I just took the GMAT scored a 690 77% Math and 89% verbal. Was very disappointed as I was scoring between 690(first practice) and 740(2 days before the test) on the practice Couple of questions:
1) Do I need to retake the GMAT? I have heard schools look for at least 80th percentile in Math.
2) Do I have a competitive profile for Fall 2007 for HBS/Wharton/Kellogg?
A bit about me:
- Indian Male residing in the U.S.
- Age 27 (will remain 27 when I apply for fall 2007)
- Completed high school in India
- Undergrad Top 10 Computer science school GPA 3.1 (Texas)
- Working as a Strategist (Six Sigma Black Belt) at a Top Financial firm on Wall street, in the operation's department (3 years 4 by the I apply)
- 1 of 2 out of 2000 people selected for the Leadership Development Program at my firm, also the youngest
-Worked as a merchant marine after high school to pay for college and support family (2 years).
- Was able to enhance my leadership skills in the navy, faced a pirate attack in Singapore
- Climbing mount Everest's Highest base camp this summer
- Sit on the board of directors of a non-profit organization (orphanage in India)
- Successfully developed a business model (based on girl scout cookies) to generate funds for the organization
-Poor under grad GPA was due to the fact that I had to fund myself 100% and support my parents and brother who was in college. could not afford text books all the time.
Your candid advice is much appreciated.
This is one of those rare times when I recommend retaking a 690. Your quant is a little low and your are likely to be able to improve it. You come from a competitive sub-group and are aiming for the top schools. You have alow GPA.
You have the time to prepare again and retake.
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog