Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 08:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I retake the GMAT again before an interview?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Should I retake the GMAT again before an interview? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2008, 20:35
Hi guys,

I got an interview invite from HBS and have got the date for it. It's on March 14..

However, am I crazy to think about that I should retake the GMAT again? My submitted GMAT score is low 660 (Q 85%, V 70%), it was on September. However, when I focused myself on my apps & essays.. I didn't touch the GMAT again till the day before HBS R2 deadline.. I thought that I would have time to study in December, yet I still took it on Jan.. nevertheless my score went down to 650 (Q64%, V 88%).. it was the opposite!!

So, I'm willing to prep myself again before HBS interview, hoping to get the 80th percentile on both Q & V. (since, I can achieve those scores, but on 2 separate tests!! :evil: )

What do you guys think? Or should I just focus on interview prep?

Thanks guys!!

http://missmba.blogspot.com/

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I retake the GMAT again before an interview? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2008, 23:20
I'd say don't do anything about it. If you got invited to interview, then you are way ahead of the crowd. If they doubt your specific ability in some particular subject they'll require you take some pre-courses.

It is important to note, however, that the above is an educated guess and nothing more.

L.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I retake the GMAT again before an interview? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2008, 00:24
I don't think you should worry about it at this point. Obviously something about you piqued their interest beyond the GMAT score.
Current Student

Re: Should I retake the GMAT again before an interview? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2008, 08:32
Thanks, guys, really appreciate your comments :)

I'm just really paranoid right now.. I'm really scared that my GMAT score could be a deal breaker.. any other opinions?

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Should I retake the GMAT again before an interview? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2008, 10:18
Do the interview...and if they insinuate that you need to get your scores back up around their average (which I highly doubt, given that it's HBS) then think about taking the GMAT again.

As everyone else is saying, there's obviously a lot more to your application and you should focus on that.
Current Student

Re: Should I retake the GMAT again before an interview? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2008, 20:27
Just talked to an HBS student, he said that my essays are good, however his concerns are mostly about my low GMAT & GPA (it's around 3.39).. and I don't know why he kinda puts me down a bit..

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I retake the GMAT again before an interview? [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2008, 05:50
what is your profile? it must be good / unusual if you were invited to interview with GMAT / GPA scores that are well below average. my guess is that you come from an under represented demographic in which the scores are probably less important, so retaking the GMAT is not going to help you that much. if you are really worried about it, you could hedge yourself by doing some preemptive studying in your weakest subjects (and maybe a few practice tests), and wait for the feedback you get in your interview. if they tell you to retake it, you will have a head start in studying.

good luck in the interview!
Manager
Manager

Re: Should I retake the GMAT again before an interview? [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2008, 06:15
by the way, why march 14th? that is an extremely long wait. if i am not mistaken, decisions go out in late march, no?
Current Student

Re: Should I retake the GMAT again before an interview? [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2008, 07:33
hi sudden,

i do come from an under-represented country in south east asia, female, 25, w/e: product management, high tech..

the hub interview in asia was around that time, so, i don't really have an option for a sooner interview..

Manager
Manager

Re: Should I retake the GMAT again before an interview? [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2008, 07:49
which country?

this is speculation on my part (backed up by thorough research), but i would suggest that if you are the best 1-3 applicant(s) from your country, you will get in even with your current low stats (no offense - it is what is). they want people from as many countries as possible and are willing to admit those with lower scores to hit their target "diversity." if you are not amongst the best of the best out of your country, then your low stats could knock you out of the running.

i think the fact that you got an interview suggests that you are at the top of what your country has to offer in terms of applicants (there may have been only 5-10 applicants, who knows?). you probably have a very good chance of getting in because unusual country + female = the win. i am not trying to downplay your qualifications, but i suspect that if you were male and from the USA, you would be a longshot and probably wouldn't have gotten an interview. no offense, that's just the way the process seems to work -- more power to you if you do get in.
Current Student

Re: Should I retake the GMAT again before an interview? [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2008, 08:01
Hi sudden,

yep, i do know all that.. and i do play my diversity card quite well i guess and it's totally fine with me :) of course, i do believe that although my GPA & GMAT were on the low side, my w/e is one of my biggest strengths (apart from the diversity thing).. i have blue chip experience with good progression.. i also have strong & unique ECs. So, i guess all of those things combined must have resulted an interview invite.. fingers crossed!

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 10

Re: Should I retake the GMAT again before an interview? [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2008, 18:16
I wonder if hermaphrodites would have an even better chance :shock:
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '10

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I retake the GMAT again before an interview? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 10:49
Bee.... Had a couple of thoughts which I posted here...

103-p426801?t=59074#p426801
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I retake the GMAT again before an interview? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 20:10
sudden wrote:
...but i would suggest that if you are the best 1-3 applicant(s) from your country, you will get in even with your current low stats (no offense - it is what is). they want people from as many countries as possible and are willing to admit those with lower scores to hit their target "diversity."...

The counter argument would be that year after year the school states how they would like to have more X,Y,Z in their classes and are ramping up their marketing efforts to such groups but in the meantime have lower percentages of X,Y,Z than they'd like because they do not get enough quality applicants from such groups.

L.
Re: Should I retake the GMAT again before an interview?   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2008, 20:10