Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 02:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I study GMAT for 650+ or try to improve Toefl???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Should I study GMAT for 650+ or try to improve Toefl??? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 20:58
Hi everyone,

As GMAT will change its format in June, I am thinking to take the old one as soon as possible. (It is easier because there are many tips available already for the old one). This means I have just only 4 months for preparation. But the problem is I have got a Toefl of 81 for several months. Do you think it is a possibility that I can get an 650+ of GMAT with my level of English like this? Or should I try to improve Toefl and then take a new GMAT version? I feel lost and don't know what to do do right now.

Thanks for your advises.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Should I study GMAT for 650+ or try to improve Toefl??? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 01:20
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

650+ is a tough goal. I personally think that you should improve your TOEFL first. I dont think that the new test format will hurt you. As far as I know one of the AWA essay sections will be skipped and replaced by a section where you don't have to write. If your Toefl writing score is under average it would be maybe easier for you to get comfortable with the new test format. Furthermore for the sentence correction section in the verbal section you will also need a good understanding of langauge.

Don't stress yourself with these changes in the new format...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 6

Re: Should I study GMAT for 650+ or try to improve Toefl??? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 02:51
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I am nearly in the same position as you. I scored in july 2011 - 88 on my toefl ibt. Now I had retaken my tofel because I need nearly 100. (unfortunately i do not know what i get because i did the test this saturday...) and on the 10th march I have my Gmat exam. and i need around 550 and 600. I already studied 1 - 1,5 months... but today i did my first practise test and i scored 370. sooo far away from my goal. I do not know what to do now.. because the Gmat is really more challanging than the Toefl.. it seems like the Toefl is nothingin contrast to the Gmat... :(

Which school you want to apply?...

GOOD LUCK! and we should be confident that we will make it in the end!! :D .... if not their are always alternatives...

BUT my advice: do first the Toefl because you need the Tofel for EVERY school you want to enter. and the gmat only for the BEST ones. so if you do not pass the gmat you have the Tofel to enter maybe in another school.
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I study GMAT for 650+ or try to improve Toefl??? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 05:50
I appreciate both your quick responses. My writing score is 24 in Toefl and I HAVE TO get a high GMAT for a scholarship. Apearantly, I mysefl can't finance for a MBA and GMAT is the only choice for me to compete with others. I am super desperating about this now. It must be a waste of time and money when purchasing materials and paying the test fee for nothing. So whatever I do should be considered carefully.

Again, thanks all for your consideration. I don't feel alone anymore. :D and I would like to listen some more ideas. Any comments would be super welcomed.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 1

Re: Should I study GMAT for 650+ or try to improve Toefl??? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 20:14
This post received
KUDOS
I do think that if you study for the GMAT, lot of things will count toward TOEFL also, since GMAT is more difficult, but not vice versa.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I study GMAT for 650+ or try to improve Toefl??? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 03:21
This post received
KUDOS
Even though most directions tell you to study for the TOEFL first, i would suggest to study for the GMAT first and take alle the advantages for the verbal topic into the TOEFL test. Good luck..
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V33
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 2.93
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 29

Re: Should I study GMAT for 650+ or try to improve Toefl??? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 07:55
This post received
KUDOS
I studied for the GMAT first and took it in Jan.

When are you guys applying? Because if you want to apply this fall you could take the GMAT in may and do the TOEFL in June.

More than a few weekend of studying (after GMAT prep) is not needed for a >100 iBt I would say.

But as mentioned, the new section won't hurt if you have trouble with the language anyway, because the AWA at the beginning would just stress you.

Either way depending on when you want to apply.

Good luck!

faber est quisque fortunae suae

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V33
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 2.93
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 29

Re: Should I study GMAT for 650+ or try to improve Toefl??? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 07:59
This post received
KUDOS
sab02 wrote:
Which school you want to apply?...

Depends on your overall profile. A 400 will dismiss you from most of the top schools, but making it in the 600 range changes things. If you have a strong experience in a field and a good unergraduate you might get into the top schools with lets say a 640 --> http://gmatclub.com/forum/profiles-admitted-to-top-b-schools-w-low-gmat-or-low-gpa-73999-40.html

faber est quisque fortunae suae

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I study GMAT for 650+ or try to improve Toefl??? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 17:29
Hi, thanks for your encouragement. However, I really need a high GMAT score for achieving a scholarship. Otherwise, it is impossible for me to apply into any school..sniff..sniff
Re: Should I study GMAT for 650+ or try to improve Toefl???   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2012, 17:29