Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:13 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22038 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Should I study GMAT on my own or join classes? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi sreeste,

If you consider yourself to be an 'average' student, then it's worth noting that a 700+ score is NOT average (it's about the 90th percentile, meaning that 90% of Test Takers either can't or won't do what it takes to score at that level). This is all meant to say that you would likely find a GMAT Course (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led) to be quite helpful.

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Should I study GMAT on my own or join classes? [#permalink]
Hello, thank you for the suggestions.
I have not yet decided when to take the GMAT test because I will be travelling and I want to apply to Business School in the spring session. Also, can anyone tell me if I can take GMAT test abroad?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sreeste,

If you're not planning to apply to Business School until next Spring, then you have plenty of time to study for the GMAT, which is good. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so when you choose to begin your studies, you need to commit to the study process. As long as you have the necessary identification, then you should be able to schedule and take the GMAT abroad.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi sreeste,

If you're not planning to apply to Business School until next Spring, then you have plenty of time to study for the GMAT, which is good. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so when you choose to begin your studies, you need to commit to the study process. As long as you have the necessary identification, then you should be able to schedule and take the GMAT abroad.

Rich

Hello, thank you for getting back at me.

I have already started my studies from yesterday right now I am using gmatfree. I am starting from the basics because I do not have much ideas about GMAT. Can you tell me your opinion regarding this website? Also, is it the same for TOFEL exam as well ( taking exam abroad) ?

Thank you in advance :) :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sreeste,

You might want to post your questions about the TOEFL here:

toefl-143/

If you're planning to take BOTH the GMAT and the TOEFL, then you would likely find it beneficial to focus on one Exam at a time (in this case, starting with the TOEFL would likely be better for you overall - the improvements that you make in your English by studying would then benefit you on the GMAT later on).

Rich
GMAT Club Bot