Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I take the GMAT again in a month?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Should I take the GMAT again in a month? [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 06:11
Hi guys! I am Fiorella, from Paraguay, a small country in the center of South America. I took the GMAT yesterday and scored 530 Qt 45 (59Perc), Vb 21 (23Perc). I am very disillusioned with my result because I expected a score of around 600.
I'll tell you a little about myself so you can properly advise me on what to do....
My mother tongue is Spanish and I have been studying English for about three years, that includes 3 months in Australia doing an intensive English course. My English level is intermediate, I have an IELTS (Academic) score of 7.0 which means "Good user" (the highest score is 9).
I am 25 years old, have a bachelor degree in Business Studies and 6 years of work experience (3 years in managerial positions).
I have been studying for the GMAT for 3 months. I studied between 20 and 25 hours per week and used different books. Here in Paraguay we don't have institues that prepare people for GMAT, so I prepared myself without a tutor.
The scores of the tests that I took while preparing for the GMAT are these:

8/06/11 - GMATPrep CAT1 : 500 Qt 35, Vb 23
29/06/11 - Veritas prep : 490 Qt 31, Vb 24
4/07/11 - Manhattan CAT1 : 500 Qt 29, Vb 30
11/07/11 - GMATPrep CAT1 (again) : 610 Qt 45 Vb 29
15/07/11 - Kaplan CAT1 : 540 Qt 29 Vb 29
18/07/11 - Kaplan CAT2 : 550 Qt 36 Vb 29
22/07/11 - GMATPrep CAT2 : 610 Qt 46 Vb 28
25/07/11 - Manhattan CAT2: 640 Qt 41 Vb 36
29/07/11 - Manhattan CAT3: 670 Qt 47 Vb 34
3/08/11 - Manhattan CAT4: 590 Qt 44 Vb 28
5/08/11 - Kaplan CAT3: 550 Qt 38 Vb 27
11/08/11 - Manhattan CAT5: 660 Qt 45 Vb 35

As you can see I improved a lot through the time and as I said I expected a score of about 600. 530 is too bad for me because doesn't give me the chance to apply to any university that ask for GMAT. I am planning to apply to some Australian Universities for doing an MBA the next year. They requeire at least a score of 550...
I didn't feel yesterday that the test was too complicated, and maybe I didn't put more effort on the first 5 questions. I guessed a lot in Qt but in Vb I thought I was doing well.. anyway, I feel that I don't deserve this score!
I have two posibilities now, taking the GMAT again in a month (because otherwais I will not have time to pressent the new results to the Universities) or dischard the GMAT and apply only to universities that do not require this test.
If I took the GMAT again I will have less time to prepare myself for the next test because I am working full time and I will not have license again to study...
What do you think I should do???? Please! Help me...
Cheers!

Fiorella
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Duke '15
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I take the GMAT again in a month? [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 08:23
Retake, retake, retake! Sometimes the GMAT may not be representative of your ability, and looking at what you achieved in your practice CATS your quant has improved to a good level but where your falling down is your verbal, with extra study in this area I see no reason why you cant achieve your target. Look at the following link for inspiration (improved form 690 to 750 in a month):

post706285.html#p706285

Just practice and review verbal questions, identify weaknesses, strengthen them and repeat.

Good Luck

Show Thanks to fellow members with Kudos its shows your appreciation and its free

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I take the GMAT again in a month? [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 18:13
Hi florella,

Congratulations on taking on this tough exam! I am sure you have worked very hard till now.

The verbal portion of the GMAT is quite tricky and can intimidate native speakers as well.

But as the previous post said, please don't give up. Your score in the practice tests was improving. Give it another shot when you feel comfortable. You will reach your goal when you feel confident in your preparation.

Taking a short break can help sometimes.. But it's upto you.

Best of luck!
Re: Should I take the GMAT again in a month?   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2011, 18:13