Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I take the GMAT now?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Should I take the GMAT now? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 10:09
I am hoping to apply to business school 4-5 years from now. I have a really low undergrad gpa and less than 3 years of work experience. What are some things that I can work on right now to make me a stellar candidate by the time I apply?

I am planning on returning to school for a graduate program in Economics this fall. I'd like to try to take the GMATs before then, but how would taking the GMATs now rather than before applying to bschool look?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 249

Re: Should I take the GMAT now? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 11:04
I don't think it looks positive or negative, the score is the score. I think it'll be easier to get a good score sooner rather than later, since most of the math is actually high-school level content. The longer you wait, the more time you may need to refresh yourself. The danger is if it takes you more than 4-5 years to apply to an MBA program, your score will expire.

Low GPA = build alternate transcript, so focus on doing exceptionally well in your economics program.
Do some community service for something important to you; take leadership positions if you can.
Maybe take a stab at a few entrepreneurial ideas.

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: Should I take the GMAT now? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 11:24
hey there, ry,

I want to chime in and let you know some important changes to the GMAT. If you decide to take it now and "settle" with a score, know that by June 4 of 2012, the GMAT is going to get a makeover. What does this mean? Well, it's going to be different. How different? I don't think anyone can tell you that yet (but you can google some of the changes to see it). My point is that if you're scoring a 750 right now, I'd go ahead and take it. However, if you score a score that you're happy with right now (i.e. 660), but ultimately decide to retake it later on, the test is going to be dramatically different. This means that all the preparation you had put in would be "semi-wasted". In addition to the dramatic shift in GMAT testing in 2012, keep in mind that your score is good for only 5 years. If you're planning to apply in 4 or 5 years, you may be pushing yourself to the limit. What happens if you don't get in in 4 or 5 years? Your test would be voided once it passes the 5-year date. Anyway, you should keep all of these in the back of your head when you make your decision.

Cheers! :-D

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Should I take the GMAT now? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 11:56
Thanks for the advice. That is really good to know.

bakfed wrote:
hey there, ry,

I want to chime in and let you know some important changes to the GMAT. If you decide to take it now and "settle" with a score, know that by June 4 of 2012, the GMAT is going to get a makeover. What does this mean? Well, it's going to be different. How different? I don't think anyone can tell you that yet (but you can google some of the changes to see it). My point is that if you're scoring a 750 right now, I'd go ahead and take it. However, if you score a score that you're happy with right now (i.e. 660), but ultimately decide to retake it later on, the test is going to be dramatically different. This means that all the preparation you had put in would be "semi-wasted". In addition to the dramatic shift in GMAT testing in 2012, keep in mind that your score is good for only 5 years. If you're planning to apply in 4 or 5 years, you may be pushing yourself to the limit. What happens if you don't get in in 4 or 5 years? Your test would be voided once it passes the 5-year date. Anyway, you should keep all of these in the back of your head when you make your decision.

Cheers! :-D
Re: Should I take the GMAT now?   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2011, 11:56