Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 08:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I take the GMAT this December?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Should I take the GMAT this December? [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2005, 21:44
I'm planning to take my gmat this december or perhaps January, but I'm scared that the Pearson Vue test might be more difficult. My goal is to get between 500-530 b/c im planning to go to a state school. But somehow I feel like I won't be able to make it. Im just so stressed. I feel so stupid. What should I do? I'm practicing from the Kaplan book and REA book. December or January? December or January?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2005, 05:51
Have you done any full-scale prep tests? What's your score? 500-530 should be within reach if you can get similar scores (or higher) for your prep test.

Regarding Dec vs Jan - I think the basis for selecting the date should be how prepared you are. You don't really sound prepared at this point. A slightly later date may be better. But not too late a date as it will make your prep very draggy.

All the best!

- tk
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2005, 06:53
The only difference between Dec and Jan onwards is the provider for the GMAT. Pearson Vue takes over in Jan 2006 from ETS. Currently, there is no plan to change the test format (that is, it will still be AWA, Quant consisting of PS,DS and Verbal consisting of SC, CR and RC).

However, Pearson will do away with the scratch paper system used by ETS. In its place will be white boards (which some members have commented is nothing more than a laminated sheet of grid paper) and fine markers. I'm not sure if it will affect your test taking strategy, but it sounds very cumbersome from what I have heard so far.

Still, your main focus right now is to get the basics right, make sure you know what you're doing and prep yourself well with some full lenght tests. Don't let the change fo system rush you into taking the test without being fully prepared.

Last edited by ywilfred on 21 Nov 2005, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2005, 10:15
Pearson's whiteboard definitely sounds cumbersome. I also heard that you will essentially get less scratch area at a time and so you might also loose time getting new whiteboards during quant. Considering your score target, a month and a half should be enough time to prepare. I spent 2 months on the prep and score 790. I were you I would take it this year. Take a PP test and see where you are. If you haven't read OG yet, PP is a good predictor of your score. If you like I can help you create a study plan for you. I will need more info on your speed, accuracy, weak areas etc.
  [#permalink] 17 Nov 2005, 10:15