Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I try to negotiate a scholarship?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Should I try to negotiate a scholarship? [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 08:44
Last week I was very pleased to get an offer from school A - it's my top choice school - I told them I was very pelased to accept and looking forward to starting etc however I haven't sent back any of the paperwork yet or the deposit - the deadline for all that is late June. I was told that school A would be reviewing scholarships this week / early June

Today I also got an offer from school B which I'm very pleased with although for various reasons school A suits me better. I know that school B will make scholarship decisions by the end of this month

To be honest, I would go to school A whatever as the programme suits my long term goals better, however I'm wondering if it's worth mentioning to school A that I have the offer from school B and am waiting to hear the outcome on scholarships before making a decision? Is this likely to increase the chances of school A offering me a scholarship?

Another option would be to just mention to school A that I have the offer from school B as part of a general email confirming the status of my payment and paperwork etc but not directly mention scholarships. This would be a more subtle approach and would boost my profile as they'd see I'd got into another top school which could help when they come to review scholarship candidates, however may not be as strong as a negotiation tactic as doesn't address the issue directly

I don't want to negotiate too agressively and sour the relationship, however a potential £20k saving is worth a lot to me and figure it's worth a shot if done in the right way?

Any thoughts on how to go about this?
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: Should I try to negotiate a scholarship? [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 20:00
Mention it if you want, but you are so late in the cycle I really doubt they will care. There is something to be said for that approach, but I am not really into that style of approach. I got the nearest to trying it with two firms this year but the second wasn't capable of getting its process into gear.

That was two multinational, huge corporations. You are talking about academia. One of these is known for not being very efficient...

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Stockholm School of Economics
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Re: Should I try to negotiate a scholarship? [#permalink] New post 27 May 2011, 13:56
I think it's a very tricky situation and I am careful to recommend you anything. But I don't think that it hurts if you write an honest email to school A. Tell them that you were admitted to A and B and you are waiting to hear about the scholarships from both of them before you make your final decision. But perhaps you want to emphasize that the school A is your favorite but you are in difficult financial situation and receiving a scholarship from B might leave you no option than going to B instead of A.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I try to negotiate a scholarship? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2011, 02:20
Thanks Juvi that's helpful - and that's pretty much what I've done - will see what the result is!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 29

Re: Should I try to negotiate a scholarship? [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2011, 09:53
Joanne27 wrote:
Thanks Juvi that's helpful - and that's pretty much what I've done - will see what the result is!

Any updates?! let us know how it went! :) Congrats on getting into 2 schools!

~ PickyTooth - Eat Like a Local Foodie // www.pickytooth.com ~

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: Should I try to negotiate a scholarship? [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 13:21
Yeah I'm curious too what happened?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I try to negotiate a scholarship? [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 08:59
Any luck Joanne??
How it went?
Re: Should I try to negotiate a scholarship?   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2011, 08:59