Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I use my optional essay to....

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Should I use my optional essay to.... [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2007, 06:23
Hello,

Do you think that it would be wise to explain my social-economic background in the optional essay. I have not done this anywhere else in the essays (applying to top ten school). I was brought up in the most deprived area in my country (in western Europe) and attended one of the worst school as a teenager(bottom 1% nationally). I still made it to graduating as a medical doctor.

I also want to explain my below avarage GMAT score 620, and say something to the extent that I don't mind retaking it.

Can I talk about these two areas in the optional essay. Or should I move explaining my deprived background to the first essay about short term goals, where it may make more impact at the beginning. And should I bother explaining my GMAT.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2007, 18:22
Expert's post
This sounds like an important patr of your life, so I would recommend integrating it more completely into your application, rather than relegating it to just the optional essay. But the optional essay probably is a good place to explain your GMAT score.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

thanks [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2007, 05:30
thanks
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2007, 16:23
Paul, do I need to explain my low gmat of 620 in the optional essay. I'm applying to the ten top schools... verbal is above 80 percentile, but maths about 60 percentile.

I'm not planning to retake it unless the school asks. Should I just leave it alone or will adcom think I'm ignorant if I dont explain it.

Also what types of strategies do people use to explain a poor maths score. I'm a medical doctor, and have great essays and Letters of recomendation.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2007, 17:10
sorry to address you as Paul -- mistake occured as I posted the same question in Paul's forum as well
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2007, 08:55
Expert's post
> I'm not planning to retake it unless the school asks. Should I just leave
> it alone or will adcom think I'm ignorant if I dont explain it.

Ths is not a good strategy -- they're far more likely to reject you outright than to ask you to take it again. If you think it's a weakness, then try to take it again (if there's time). I can think of very few cases where a school liked someone so much despite their low score that they admitted them on the condition that they took the GMAT again.

If there's no time, then give it a nod in your optional essay, but don't give the adcomms a litany of excuses. Simply showing how your other academic credentials outweigh your low score should be enough.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 05:01
one more question please,

the day that i sat my gmat, the weather was extremeley poor and a tree had fallen down on the road of the test centre and so i had top take a major re-route. should i mention this as a contributing factor for the low gmat. even though i made it to the test centre on time.....i has stressed by it

thanks...

i want to mention it in the optional essay but think that the admissions committee may laugh.

what do you think

thanks.....your help appreciated
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 05:25
to add i have a news paper article to prove that it did really happen.

thanks
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 08:31
Expert's post
This just sounds like you're making excuses (even if it really did happen). Put yourself in an admissions officer's shoes... They're likely to think, "If an MBA is really important to this person and hew knows his score is low, why won' the take the GMAT again?"

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews