Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 06:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Wait for MGMAT 5th Ed.?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Should I Wait for MGMAT 5th Ed.? [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 22:58
Hello,

I'm planning to take the GMAT roughly around the 3rd week of July 2012. I'm about to start studying and just ordered the OG 13th Edition and the verbal and quant OGs. I was about to order the MGMAT 4th edition set but then noticed that the 5th edition set is coming out in 3 weeks (April 24, 2012). So I'm wondering: should I sacrifice three weeks of studying and wait for the 5th edition? Or should I just buy the 4th Edition now and then buy the IR MGMAT Guide separately once it comes out?

Thanks very much!

EDIT: Another obvious possibility is that I could just buy a different book (Kaplan looked good) and use that to study for the next 3 weeks until the 5th Ed. MGMAT comes out. Is it alright to study from different companies like that? I thought I heard that different books use different strategies and it's best to just stick with one company the whole way through... thoughts? Thank you!

Last edited by BCMN on 02 Apr 2012, 07:01, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Wait for MGMAT 5th Ed.? [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 23:03
If you bought OG 13, I would wait for the 5th Edition. Problem sets in MGMAT 4th Edition are linked to OG 12, which wouldn't do you much help since you have OG 13.
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Wait for MGMAT 5th Ed.? [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 06:19
jazzman wrote:
If you bought OG 13, I would wait for the 5th Edition. Problem sets in MGMAT 4th Edition are linked to OG 12, which wouldn't do you much help since you have OG 13.

hmm ok- I mean, I could always buy OG 12 in addition to OG 13. That book was only like $23. I just don't want to buy both MGMAT editions. And as I understood it, only 17% of problems in OG 13 are new- so I'm hoping that MGMAT 4th Ed. would still be pretty relevant even if I was using it with OG 13? Or wouldn't that necessarily be the case?
Manager
Manager
WE: Project Management (Other)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Wait for MGMAT 5th Ed.? [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 07:19
BCMN wrote:
Hello,

I'm planning to take the GMAT roughly around the 3rd week of July 2012. I'm about to start studying and just ordered the OG 13th Edition and the verbal and quant OGs. I was about to order the MGMAT 4th edition set but then noticed that the 5th edition set is coming out in 3 weeks (April 24, 2012). So I'm wondering: should I sacrifice three weeks of studying and wait for the 5th edition? Or should I just buy the 4th Edition now and then buy the IR MGMAT Guide separately once it comes out?

Thanks very much!

Hi,
The Verbal & Quant OGs are not changing.
For the OG 13th edition, I would refer to:
official-guide-13th-edition-initial-assessment-129154.html#p1059362
and MGMAT's analysis which is particularly detailed
http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ial-guide/

I am guessing that the 8 study books are not going to change much except for the list of reference to OG questions.
and that they are going to list the question numbers for both OG 12th and OG13th (in the same way they reference Quant OG / Quant OG 2nd Edition).

Ref. posts on MGMAT's blog:
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/MGM ... 15208.html
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/pos ... 5cc#p63926

It's a tough call, especially since once the 5th edition hit the market, the price for any used set of the 4th edition is going to drop quite a bit. Maybe buy a set of used strategy guides?
buy-sell-books-and-find-study-groups-4/

Kudos is a great way to say Thank you...

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Should I Wait for MGMAT 5th Ed.? [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 07:20
It's really up to you. MGMAT made HUGE strides from 2nd to 3rd edition and 3rd to 4th. I'm not saying it won't be better, I just don't know how much better it can become.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 481 [0], given: 432

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Should I Wait for MGMAT 5th Ed.? [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 12:46
Expert's post
As long as you think that there's enough time, then waiting a few weeks shouldn't hurt. I'm not sure what improvements to expect from Manhattan's fifth version, but you can opt for the Powerscore CR Bible while you wait. The CR Bible is currently the top performer for that subject, so you can work on that now to replace Manhattan's CR guidebook.

I wouldn't purchase OG 13 and OG 12, however. There's simply too much overlap. The OG Verbal and OG Quant would be a better bundle. But if you want another comprehensive OG book, then I suggest OG 10. I think there is some overlap with OG 10 and the the GMATPrep software, but now there's new version for that too.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V20
GPA: 3.74
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 50

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Should I Wait for MGMAT 5th Ed.? [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 12:56
MGMAT generally offers discounted price for students. I bought the GMAT Roadmap for $10. GMAT Roadmap was not available when I enrolled. While I agree with others that you should wait for the latest version, I also believe the sooner you start working on the test the better.

Another option would be to enroll now for a course that will start after the new books are released. In the mean time you can start working on your preparation using the online content available in the MGMAT student section.

Most importantly, I suggest you to contact the MGMAT student services and tell them about your concern. They may provide you a better option.

Good luck.

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you.

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Wait for MGMAT 5th Ed.? [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 14:42
Thanks for the responses, everyone. To clarify- I'm not considering taking a class right now, they're too expensive for my budget and I think I can study on my own just as well.

The more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense for me to buy the most recent Kaplan Premier book, use that to study for the next three weeks, and then switch to the MGMAT books once they come out. Thoughts on that?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 10

Re: Should I Wait for MGMAT 5th Ed.? [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 17:01
The Kaplan book will keep you entertained for 3-4 weeks max... and it is a nice and quick refresher for quant. In your case it makes sense to get it.
However, in the book SC coverage was disaster there I think the chapter is only a few pages long... I did like their RC and CR stuff though.

Reward wisdom with kudos

Re: Should I Wait for MGMAT 5th Ed.?   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2012, 17:01