Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I worry about breakdown, or just total score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Should I worry about breakdown, or just total score [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 07:08
I took the gmat about a month ago (660, q44, v37), and am taking it again on 12/10.
These are my last two practice tests Manhattan GMAT 2 and 3
#2 11/7 - 680 q46 v36
#3 11/16 - 690 q48 v36

I have put consistent effort in Verbal for the past 2 weeks, (MGMAT SC book), but have seen 0 results, to be honest I think its made me question common sense in certain problems. I'm a native speaker, and when it comes to SC I used the ear test in most situations... now I find myself trying to dissect sentences a bit too much, and missing obvious flaws. I'm not bothering working on my RC or CR because I'm a bit too set in my ways, I read carefully and answer, taking notes seems to make me lose focus.

Currently I'm about 80% on 600-700 Questions and 50% on 700-800 Questions on SC.

Now, should I just focus my efforts on hitting 50 on quant, which I think I could, and hope for a 36/37 Verbal, or should I continue to focus my energy on SC. Would schools care if I end up with say 710 Q50, V37 instead of a 710 Q47, V40.

The goal was a q50 v40 breakdown, but I'm starting to think 36/37 is about as high as I can get my verbal, and maybe its time to just focus the next few weeks on improving my quant. Thoughts?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student

Re: Should I worry about breakdown, or just total score [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 09:35
Dbalks wrote:
Also, the more I study sentence correction and look for things ,it seems like the worse I do as well. I think on test day I am going to use my ear at first, and if I see any pronouns, comparisons, or modifiers I will just check them real quick for errors.

I feel like I can only learn so much at once. By the time I get to the comparisons chapter of mgmat, I no longer look fro pronoun errors.

100% agree, I do well when I'm in that chapter, but when I'm finished, I dont know if I'm even retaining any of the info...

I'm planning on taking another practice either this weekend or early next week. I'm going to really focus on listening first, and then see if I can make sense of when to use what I've learned. I'm assuming I'm just overthinking SC now, I spend more time on them now, second guessing everything. I had a few on my last test that I switched from the correct answer to the wrong one...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I worry about breakdown, or just total score [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 23:51
highwyre237 wrote:
Dbalks wrote:
Also, the more I study sentence correction and look for things ,it seems like the worse I do as well. I think on test day I am going to use my ear at first, and if I see any pronouns, comparisons, or modifiers I will just check them real quick for errors.

I feel like I can only learn so much at once. By the time I get to the comparisons chapter of mgmat, I no longer look fro pronoun errors.

100% agree, I do well when I'm in that chapter, but when I'm finished, I dont know if I'm even retaining any of the info...

I'm planning on taking another practice either this weekend or early next week. I'm going to really focus on listening first, and then see if I can make sense of when to use what I've learned. I'm assuming I'm just overthinking SC now, I spend more time on them now, second guessing everything. I had a few on my last test that I switched from the correct answer to the wrong one...

Hmm interesting. I found that trying to figure it out by listening didn't really work well for me, at least on higher level questions, because people speak incorrectly all the time so it tends to sound normal. What I always do is cut out the excess from the sentence so you are left with the very fundamental part of the sentence. Once you do that it makes it quite a bit easier to see if there are problems with verb/subject, dangling modifiers, correct tense, parallelism etc.

I would also suggest doing the SC questions from the OG in the order they are presented in the OG rather than doing them by error type as you would by following MGMAT. This forces you to look for every possible error type, rather than just looking for a specific problem that you just read a chapter on. I read through the SC guide within the first couple weeks of studying and found that just by doing a few random SC practice problems every day or two I never really had to revisit the guide, and by the time I finished the SC questions from the OG, I was able to pick out errors very quickly - to the point where SC questions would take me 30-45 seconds on average.

Last thing, and you probably already realize this, but it is common on low and mid level questions that multiple answer choices will have the same error, so you can often eliminate 2 or sometimes even 3 answer choices by finding a single error. Just make sure you have A-E written on your pad so you can cross them out as soon as you find errors.

You probably already know and do these things, but I figured I'd throw them out there.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2159

Kudos [?]: 7595 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I worry about breakdown, or just total score [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 06:30
Expert's post
Your practice scores are indicating you can score within the same range of 660 (potentially more since it will be a second attempt and you will be more familiar and will know what to expect). You need to plug the holes (whatever they are and fast in time for the 10th). You should be getting 700+ in your practice tests to really make a difference and go beyond 660.

You may want to follow the strategies exactly as they are written. If you want a high score, you will need to inconvenience yourself :)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

Re: Should I worry about breakdown, or just total score [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 15:43
update
#2 11/7 - 680 q46 v36
#3 11/16 - 690 q48 v36
#4 11/20 - 700 q46 v39

Took MGMAT #4 over the weekend - 700! Q46 V39, highest I've scored on verbal so far, Q was a bit low. I have a feeling if everything is working out correctly, i could break 700 on test day, but yeah, I'm not confident where i am now. Started the MGMAT advanced quant book yesterday, hoping I'll do a bit better. Hoping to take a gmat prep cat over the long weekend.

Last edited by highwyre237 on 23 Nov 2011, 05:28, edited 2 times in total.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2159

Kudos [?]: 7595 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I worry about breakdown, or just total score [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 21:06
Expert's post
Great! Good Luck with the 700's!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Should I worry about breakdown, or just total score   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2011, 21:06