Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 05:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview?

• 29% [10]
  • 70% [24]
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 13:05
Guys,
I need your advice. I received an invite from Darden to interview on campus. However, I am not sure if it's worth going because:
1) Darden is not my first choice
2) I am concerned about the case method only learning
3) Darden is famous for its work load
4) Darden is known for its Finance program and consulting; not so much for GM or Marketing (my areas of interest)

I think I will consider Darden only if they offer me a full tuition or close to full tuition scholarship.
Going to the on-campus interview means taking at least 1 day off work plus the cost of hotel, car rental and flight which will sum to about $400-$500 just to have a 30 minute interview.

Is it worth to invest all this money and time for a slim chance of getting big $$$ from the b-school? Please share your opinion. For the members who are not familiar with my profile/acceptances to other schools, please see the stats here:

111-t56921

Thanks for your help!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 13:10
I voted yes cos I dont wanna see a ding in your record.
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 13:11
Well if you don't interview nervous, you can be sure you won't be getting any $$$. You've put in all that effort into Darden's application, you due it to yourself to finish the process. Make sure you mention that you have great scholarships at other schools, yet you are still interested in Darden and have made the effort to interview on campus. If the school really wants you, they'll do their bit. If not, at least you tried.

And who knows, you might end up liking the place.

By the way it's a little scary that you are getting concerned about points 2, 3 and 4 at this stage of the application!

edited to note:

Also, hopefully other members can chime in but it seems rather strange that a school with an extensive case based curriculum is NOT known for its strength in General Management. Is that really true?

Last edited by solaris1 on 20 Feb 2008, 13:22, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 13:16
3) is almost the same for most of top schools. Pro is 2) only. Cons are 1) and 4). So, I voted "no". Also, I doubt the possibility of awarding a full-ride in R2... Logically it is the answer. As mentioned solaris1, we always have a number of what ifs and they make our position shaky and we start thinking after that could something be done better if I would have done/not done something. The best ways to override it, know to me, are: follow your own intuition or drop a coin. :)
VP
VP

Re: Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 13:17
solaris1 wrote:
Well if you don't interview nervous, you can be sure you won't be getting any $$$. You've put in all that effort into Darden's application, you due it to yourself to finish the process. Make sure you mention that you have great scholarships at other schools, yet you are still interested in Darden and have made the effort to interview on campus. If the school really wants you, they'll do their bit. If not, at least you tried.

And who knows, you might end up liking the place.

By the way it's a little scary that you are getting concerned about points 2, 3 and 4 at this stage of the application!

I visited Darden's Open House and liked the student environment a lot, which overshadowed the case-based learning and the Finance reputation. In addition, I didn't know back then that I would be accepted to a few b-schools so I applied to a range of MBA programs. It goes without saying that I had to compromise on one thing or another at some of the schools :-)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 13:51
I vote no, would you really choose it over some of the other schools you already got significant scholarships for? Doesnt seem like you really are excited about it like some of the others. Even if you got a scholarship you probably would take one of your other schools you already got money from over it. Save the vacation time and the money you would be spending on the airfare and hotel.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 14:01
I concur.
riverripper wrote:
I vote no, would you really choose it over some of the other schools you already got significant scholarships for? Doesnt seem like you really are excited about it like some of the others. Even if you got a scholarship you probably would take one of your other schools you already got money from over it. Save the vacation time and the money you would be spending on the airfare and hotel.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 14:11
Tough one.. part of me is all about completing the process, but if you applied to Darden R1 (I forgot), then it's understandable that you don't want to finish it up now that you're in so many schools with $$.

My take, NO if you applied R1 and probably wouldn't go to Darden unless there's full scholarship (rare). Yes if you applied R2 (after your Kellogg admit) just to finish it up and never have to ask "what if."

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

VP
VP

Re: Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 14:14
kryzak wrote:
Tough one.. part of me is all about completing the process, but if you applied to Darden R1 (I forgot), then it's understandable that you don't want to finish it up now that you're in so many schools with $$.

My take, NO if you applied R1 and probably wouldn't go to Darden unless there's full scholarship (rare). Yes if you applied R2 (after your Kellogg admit) just to finish it up and never have to ask "what if."

I applied for R2.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 14:25
Hrm... then I have the similar question as solaris1. I remember us asking you about finishing R2 apps after you got into Kellogg... I would probably go through with it, unless you REALLY don't see yourself going to Darden. Like someone said, you NEVER know if you might find something you love about the school, even though on paper it's not where you want to go. Many have been surprised that way. :)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 15:24
I vote no. You don't seem very excited / it doesn't seem like a good fit and the chances of a full scholarship are slim at best. And even if you DID get a full scholarship, the former still applies.

You've already gotten significant scholarships from places you're more excited about.

AND if you withdraw, it doesn't count as ding.
VP
VP

Re: Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 15:43
mba2010 wrote:
AND if you withdraw, it doesn't count as ding.

LOL!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 17:29
Wow ! What an enviable situation !!!!

Seriously though, I dont think you should attend the Darden interview. You don't exactly seemed to be thrilled with the case-method and IMHO, Kellogg and Ross offer better marketing opportunities and brand-leverage.

Will you actually consider GSB if you are admitted (given your lack of interest in Finance).

http://mba2010dreams.blogspot.com

VP
VP

Re: Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 18:13
Yes, I would I consider Chicago GSB. GSB actually has an excellent marketing program, although it's not as well known as its Finance program.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 18:40
if it stresses you out, don't do it. if you're up for the ride, do it.

now that i'm in bschool and up to my neck in all kinds of nuttiness, i've found that it's sometimes just not worth it.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 21:01
Please go on campus and ask them about my interview invite..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview? [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2008, 05:44
As someone who loves Darden, I still pulled my application once I got accepted to Kellogg. "Work-life balance" at Kellogg is much better and I think the experience in general is better at Kellogg.

Go to Kellogg! Save your money and time for KWEST :)

That said, Darden is a great school, and I don't think it would be the wrong decision to follow it through.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview? [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2008, 05:57
Just imagine taking accounting as a case class...Darden is a great school but I think you really have to be a big fan of the case method. Plus it has a reputation of being very academically challenging, all top schools are going to be tough but there is something to be said about attending one of the "easier" schools. Especially with recruiters complaining schools are graduating people with great quant skills but lacking the soft skills.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview? [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2008, 08:14
tsaditya wrote:
Please go on campus and ask them about my interview invite..

Hilarous..
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth, Stern, Haas

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview? [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2008, 08:31
keeping in mind the cost of this decision may be it is better not to go, however what are you loosing? nothing! yeah I know 400-500$ is not an amount that can be neglected, but damn 1000 people will kill for such a chance, even I would give everything for opportunity like that. On the other hand you have a lot of acceptance in other school and realizing Kellogg ( if I am not mistake you are accepted in) it is unwise to choose other school.
Anyway, weighing all the factors I answered "yes"
Re: Should nervous go to Darden for on-campus interview?   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2008, 08:31