Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: CSR and Non-Profit Management
Schools:University of Michigan Erb Institute '12
 Q44  V45
Send PM
Re: Should we NOT tell them what they expect to hear? [#permalink]
This may be obvious, but I think one thing that AdComs really ask themselves when reading essays is "Did the applicant write this essay especially for our school?"

They don't want to see recycled essays with the program names changed. So you have to be careful, even if you aren't doing that, to make sure that you don't appear to be doing that. You need to be sure to link these things that you are saying as good to you and to your goals. For example:

This could be said of every school:

“I am interested in GSB because of the LEAD program. It will teach me X, Y, and Z and will make me a more effective leader. The opportunity to be involved in the..."

This could not:

“I am interested in GSB because its LEAD program will help me prepare for a career in A, by developing my skills in X, Y, and Z." or "Professor XXX's article on YYY was fascinating to me because it illuminated some things, like Z, that I have already applied in my work. The opportunity to take classes with teachers of this caliber will certainly help me achieve my goal of..." "the GGG program at XYZ GSB will help me achieve my goal of becoming an investment banker by developing X, Y, and Z through courses like [insert unique course name here]."

I think you pay the major aspects of the school lip service while talking about the more obscure things, and relating it to yourself.

HTH
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
You are all hitting on the right issues... its not just about showing that you've done research, but that the research is clearly tied into your goals. It should support your overall position, strategy, needs, etc. Simply 'laundry listing' facts is going to get you nowhere. In other words, the research has to be meaningful. `

As to my comments on LEAD... I wasn't suggesting you write something as dry and marketing esque as my very tongue in cheek "official essay" answer... I imagine that was clear, or I hope it was anyway.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Great topic! This is something I have struggled with in my essays as well. I have really tried to avoid boring platitudes, but this topic has made me go back and check my essays again.

Thanks for the reminder.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Hmmm, I've got mixed feelings here. Yes you should show why school X, Y or Z will help you in your goals. But I certainly didn't over-think it. I used the same structure for every goal essay and adapted it to each school. When you think about it, it's pretty ridiculous: you have to tell 5 different schools why each one would be the perfect match for you. It's like in an interview: you have to show to the interviewer why company X is the ONLY company you would like to work for. My view is a bit cynical and extreme, but not too far from the truth I think.

IMHO, bottom line is that:

1. you should definitively make a lasting impression (positive one obviously :-D ) on the adcom with your background and experiences

2. show to the adcom that you did your homework by investigating the school and writing about what their strengths are: great teachers, particular programs (LEAD is one example) and by giving a personal spin to them if possible.

I personally think that adcoms are perfectly aware that you're applying for more than 1 school (unless you have particular circumstances, you'd be a fool not to), so personal experience and background are more important than showing love; some schools like love-showing more than others (Stern comes to mind) but it shouldn't be the main focus of your essay (there are obviously exceptions to this), it's more something that has to be there, that probably won't make a lasting positive impression, but if it's not there it will make a negative impression (I hope I'm clear here).

Personal stuff is what people will remember the most, so focus on that.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
I think a lot of what's been said makes sense. I know in my outlines, I found myself doing the "laundry list" of what I like about each school. It's taken me a bit more research and thought to really tie in why I like that specific trait about the school and how it fits in with the essay question being asked. :lol:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
a bit late to the discussion, but pretty much write about WHY the school's specific program (the one discussed ad nauseum) fits with YOUR GOALS. The key word is PERSONALIZATION. Personalize why you love the school, its programs, and how they will help you. Everyone could love KWEST from Kellogg, but why is it that YOU love KWEST and how does it help you (and help Kellogg) to attend KWEST?

If you can convey that in your essays, then you are golden.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
High value added comment from an Italian:

it's ad nauseam not at nauseam or ad nauseum.

:)
GMAT Club Bot