Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 20:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should we require OA with post of each question?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

How important is it for you to make every poster to include OA with their post?

You may select 1 option
TAGS:
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8208 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Should we require OA with post of each question? [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2009, 11:59
Expert's post
I got a couple of PM's about the question suggesting we REQUIRE each poster in the Math and Verbal Forums post OA with the question. in the format of:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA

I want to get a public opinion on this and see if the current system is indeed in a poor shape and adding OA will be REALLY helpful. Please note that introduction of this policy will FORCE (via software) everyone to include an OA (or at least fill out a field for it).

OA=Official Answer.

Please take a vote - I am looking for 40 votes before making any kind of a decision.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 103 [1] , given: 325

Re: Should we require OA with post of each question? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 00:58
This post received
KUDOS
In my view posting OA with the Question helps but in few cases people tend to be more inclined towards the OA and form their explanation(s) supporting the OA. I have seen this in many Questions(specially CR where 2 answer choices are very close).

For Questions with Debatable OA its better to post the OA after few people post their opinion.

We also find people posting many Questions without knowing the OA.

so i feel posting OA with the question need not be compulsory

One Final Try.......

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should we require OA with post of each question? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 01:11
Expert's post
Thank you - I agree with you that OA's often taint the opinion and it is probably best that it gets posted a bit later.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: PMP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should we require OA with post of each question? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 08:08
One problem with not posting OA with the question is that , although its uncommon, the original poster forgets the post and never posts OA or delays posting OA for weeks, which would frustrate repliers if they were right or wrong and the time/effort spent on solving/explaining the problem would go waste..

if we can atleast set a max time limit (may be 24-48 hours from posting time) for posting OA and penalise (by -1 Kudos) for not posting OA within the set time limit, we should be fine.

Thanks, Sri
-------------------------------
keep uppp...ing the tempo...

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 82 [1] , given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should we require OA with post of each question? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 11:10
This post received
KUDOS
My take on this is that if OA is there for the question, need not be necessarily posted along with the question.
i.e. if it is a tough one and the answer is a straight giveaway, then let the members rack their brain for a while before seeing the OA. Good practice.

Also, for questions for which I may not have OA, I'd still prefer to be able to post it and get opinions of experts.

So IMO, OA preferable with every Q but not compulsory.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should we require OA with post of each question? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 23:03
Posting OA with question doesnot offer an incentive/challange to the members to solve the question. Everybody, who see the OA, is distracted by it and discouraged to do constructive efforts to solve/explain the problem.

OA should be realeased after 5-7 responses.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should we require OA with post of each question? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 01:44
Expert's post
Thank you. I think I am getting the idea.

Founder of GMAT Club

Director
Director
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should we require OA with post of each question? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 02:40
People forget to post the OA's..that is so irritating..!!!But yes true that OA's taint people's viwews...so..tell you what I have a suggestion..

Why don't you have an AUTOMATED REMINDER system??Say after 3 days the poster will get an email reminding him to post the OA..that should solve the problem:)

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 60

Re: Should we require OA with post of each question? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 07:10
I have the same reasoning ;)

I believe time frames or even "number of posts" frames are the best incentives to post OA.
There are dozens of questions, which are left without OAs and GMATclubbers are very confused and irritated because they do not have any idea, whether they solved that particular question right or wrong.

Thus, setting frames (personally I think that the frame related to number of responses (say 5-7)) is a very good idea.

Thank you for raising this question!

p.s. It would be even more better if every member of the club tagged his/her question. There will be less confusion.

ooops, almost forgot another idea.

bb, I think that it would be great to advise GMATClub members to search for every question, which they want to post. Personally I do so every time before posting the question. What is the reason? There are a lot of questions, which were already discussed and solved correctly. Well, the reason against this idea may be tags problem. Older posts (e.g. 2006 year) are locked for tagging. But anyway, I would advise to search. Thank you for attention :)

Never, never, never give up

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Should we require OA with post of each question? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 11:33
Yes OA is neccessary because it's so upset if we spend a lot of time thinking and discussing problems without knowing the OA, only the posters are satisfied because they get what they want.

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/
http://gmatsentencecorrection.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern
Schools: NY Stern; Columbia; Cornell; Waterloo; U of T
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Re: Should we require OA with post of each question? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 15:11
Hi BB,

I also tend to agree with most of the members that we should post the OA after certain delay. The delay can be defined in terms of 'time' or in terms of '# of posts'.

The Club could also enforce other policies depending on the opinion survey. I would suggets that the 'OA' should be posted with-in a resonable timeframe (e.g. within 2 days - 48 hours of posting the Q).

Regards,

SYED
Manager
Manager

Re: Should we require OA with post of each question? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 16:42
I think posting the OA right away is ok as long as the posters use Spoiler.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 13

Re: Should we require OA with post of each question? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 10:25
Posting OA does help as we wont have to return each day to check if we have answered it right or not . If OA is not found then people visit other forum to get the OA.

Can we have some thing like after 3-5 post the revealer becomes active. By this way, those who want to answer with their explanation can do it. and ppl wont form an opinion immediately depending on the OA..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should we require OA with post of each question? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 11:53
I will say, if it's possible, make OA posting compulsory but hold the OA from showing up in the post for, say 24 or 48 hrs.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should we require OA with post of each question? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 14:47
Expert's post
OK. The answer seems to have materialized: Make author provide OA with the question that will automatically be posted later. No idea how to do it, but we'll figure something out.

Question about posting (IT things apart) - if it just magically appears in 2 days, does that work really?
Or does it need to get posted as a new post to notify everyone involved in the discussion?

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Re: Should we require OA with post of each question? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 19:04
Why not have some sort of "spoiler" tag like on other forums that hides the OA?

There are lots of variations -- some you click a button, or mouse over, or some the text & background are the same color so you have to highlight the answer.
Manager
Manager

Re: Should we require OA with post of each question? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 20:30
[quote="bb"]OK. The answer seems to have materialized: Make author provide OA with the question that will automatically be posted later. No idea how to do it, but we'll figure something out.

Question about posting (IT things apart) - if it just magically appears in 2 days, does that work really?
Or does it need to get posted as a new post to notify everyone involved in the discussion?[/quote]

I think the second idea is better.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should we require OA with post of each question? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2009, 03:16
Expert's post
jeckll wrote:
Why not have some sort of "spoiler" tag like on other forums that hides the OA?

There are lots of variations -- some you click a button, or mouse over, or some the text & background are the same color so you have to highlight the answer.

You mean like the one in the first post of this thread? :roll:

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 6

Re: Should we require OA with post of each question? [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 10:13
it cant be made mandatory to put OAs as people may not always know the OA. Some people post to find out the answers.

For questions with OAs, it can be done so that the OA is visible only to the admins. Who can post it whenever they feel its right.

The Legion dies, it does not surrender.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 2

Re: Should we require OA with post of each question? [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2009, 04:27
This post received
KUDOS
Hello BB,

I have a little bit different opinion about auto posting of answers after a fixed interval of time.

This would be very frustrating under the following circumstances

1)for people posting multiple replies to multiple posts as they would need to keep track of this .
2)sometimes no one replies to a post even after a week (if the question is tough :) ).

3)People visit old posts regularly, so it would be unfair to give them answers before even trying.

Solution: I suggest to store answers from the people who post question and provide the link to the answers privately to members who have replied to the question . This way forum will be more active and more people will apply their brain on the problem before posting and knowing the answer.
Re: Should we require OA with post of each question?   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2009, 04:27