Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V45
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is really helpful...i did not see a breakdown on what is considered a great/good score. Does anyone know?

I think the biggest advantage of using this is meeting your word limits. I had a 500 word essay that once completed had 650. Using this service, I have cut to 493, removed unneeded sentences, and made it more concise. Great tool.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
lanter1, take a look at this thread.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/103/51031

I am glad everyone is finding this tool very useful.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
lanter1, take a look at this thread.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/103/51031

I am glad everyone is finding this tool very useful.

this link took me back to the forum page.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Show, don't tell [#permalink]
hsampath wrote:
First of, a big thanks to ncprasad for pointing us to this great tool to check the Flesch Reading ease.

I just changed one paragraph I had written from telling to showing, and it improved the reading ease dramatically, from low 40s to high 50s. Just thought I should let you all know to try it out, in case you haven't already.

What would be an ideal 'Flesch Reading Ease' for a 500 word essay? How good is a score of 40?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I like the Flesh Kindling system to an extent. The tool lowers readibility scores if you use complex words, which may be necessary when trying to minimize essay length. That being said, I think that a score between 40-50 mean that an essay is easy to read. I still think it is better to read an essay out loud and see if the ideas flow and your thoughts are clear. The FK tool is useful, but it is just that a tool...nothing beats getting an outsider's opinion and reading an essay out loud.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
shmegs wrote:
I like the Flesh Kindling system to an extent. The tool lowers readibility scores if you use complex words, which may be necessary when trying to minimize essay length. That being said, I think that a score between 40-50 mean that an essay is easy to read. I still think it is better to read an essay out loud and see if the ideas flow and your thoughts are clear. The FK tool is useful, but it is just that a tool...nothing beats getting an outsider's opinion and reading an essay out loud.

shmegs, I completely subscribe to your views. Achieving a balance between readability and effectiveness of an essay as short as 300/500 words is really difficult. When I try to use strongly expressive sentences the readability index falls below 30. As you said, the lucidity of expression is perhaps much more important !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
Re: Show, don't tell [#permalink]
hsampath wrote:
First of, a big thanks to ncprasad for pointing us to this great tool to check the Flesch Reading ease.

I just changed one paragraph I had written from telling to showing, and it improved the reading ease dramatically, from low 40s to high 50s. Just thought I should let you all know to try it out, in case you haven't already.

All of my essays have a Flesch score of around 45...

but what is the deal with the Felsch Kincaid grade level? Most of mine are at grade 11. is there a grade range we should be shooting for?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
Grade level indicates the minimum level of education needed to read and understand your text. 10th or 11th grade is definitely very good. I think 45/11 is a great combo.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
Grade level indicates the minimum level of education needed to read and understand your text. 10th or 11th grade is definitely very good. I think 45/11 is a great combo.

thanks man. one of my essays was graded at a 9.5 grade level and a 47 Flesch. at first i was worried.. i thought it meant that it looks like a freshman in highschool wrote the essay. I guess I am i giving to much weight to this stuff?

anyway... thanks for the tip. i didn't even know this tool existed 2 days ago, now i am freaking addicted.
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
anonymousegmat wrote:
[
anyway... thanks for the tip. i didn't even know this tool existed 2 days ago, now i am freaking addicted.

You can say that again, I have started running all my business emails through the tool now :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Is this good ? [#permalink]
I ran a portion of my stanford Essay 1 on this tool and I got this result.

Number of characters (without spaces) : 1,073.00
Number of words : 197.00
Number of sentences : 9.00
Average number of characters per word : 5.45
Average number of syllables per word : 1.91
Average number of words per sentence: 21.89

Indication of the number of years of formal education that a person requires in order to easily understand the text on the first reading
Gunning Fog index : 18.50

Approximate representation of the U.S. grade level needed to comprehend the text :
Coleman Liau index : 14.91
Flesh Kincaid Grade level : 15.53
ARI (Automated Readability Index) : 15.17
SMOG : 16.29

Flesch Reading Ease : 22.72

Is this good ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Is this good ? [#permalink]
dahcrap wrote:
I ran a portion of my stanford Essay 1 on this tool and I got this result.

Number of characters (without spaces) : 1,073.00
Number of words : 197.00
Number of sentences : 9.00
Average number of characters per word : 5.45
Average number of syllables per word : 1.91
Average number of words per sentence: 21.89

Indication of the number of years of formal education that a person requires in order to easily understand the text on the first reading
Gunning Fog index : 18.50

Approximate representation of the U.S. grade level needed to comprehend the text :
Coleman Liau index : 14.91
Flesh Kincaid Grade level : 15.53
ARI (Automated Readability Index) : 15.17
SMOG : 16.29

Flesch Reading Ease : 22.72

Is this good ?

it is hard for a computer to grade an essay - if you look on wikipedia you can see what these indexes mean and how they compute the score. they are basically math equations.

having said that, your flesch reading ease is probably too low - meaning your essay might be hard to understand or read w/o losing interest (think GMAT RC passage or article in an academic journal)

you probably are using too much flowery prose or too many syllables / words to convey a point that can be more concisely stated...

but again, it is just an algorithm and it can't understand your essay... your essay could kick @ss. take an honest look at it and be the judege
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would try to keep it above 30-35 MINIMUM... below that, I notice I have 3-4 line long sentences that even I get lost reading them!
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
I starting to worry about my content. My first complete essay (draft) is at ease level 74. Anyone else in the same boat? Maybe Im adding too much fluff and too little substance...sigh.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
My goal is a minimum of 40, hopefully closer to 45+. Most of mine actually are at 50+ now but even the lower scores I feel read well.

This tool is great for pointing out sentences that are long and/or wordy and could be improved on. Having a lower score doesn't mean that your essays will be weak but chances are it will be harder to understand. Big words may make you seem smart but you don't want to confuse anyone reading it. Thats why the scores are helpful since they give you a rough idea of how hard it is to comprehend.

As for having a score that is too high, I have no clue what your essay looks like so it could be great and very easy to read or it could be TOO easy to read because it is lacking. You are going to have to judge that or get honest opinions from your reviewers.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
I find what brings my score down are long sentences. When you need to fit a lot of things in a short essay, sometimes you go for the, "My leadership qualities are demonstrated by doing X, Y, and Z." and if XYZ are long titles/names of jobs, then that makes the sentence very long. I've tried to break a few of those long sentences into two or more sentences, but that increases the word count since you need to have some transitional phrases to link the new sentences together (otherwise it reads as "I did this. I did that".

So, in the end, it's a catch-22 for me. So 35-40 is a good goal. 74 is a bit high though. Either you write REALLY well, or the sentence structures you use are too simple?
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes, I definitely think it's the latter. I think I'm writing it like a cheap popular novel rather than a business school essay. I need to change my style. I have sent this one off to one my friends, let me see what he comes back with. He'll probably tear it apart.

Thanks both of you.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]