Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 14:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2005, 18:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:22) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby to help distract them from the loneliness brought on by their shyness. Sometimes they are able to become friends with others who share their hobby. But if they lose interest in that hobby, their loneliness may be exacerbated. So developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness.

Which one of the following assumptions does the argument depend on?

(A) Eventually, shy adolescents are going to want a wider circle of friends than is provided by their hobby.

(B) No successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness ever intensifies that loneliness.

(C) Shy adolescents will lose interest in their hobbies if they do not make friends through their engagement in those hobbies.

(D) Some other strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness is generally more successful than is developing an all-consuming hobby.

(E) Shy adolescents devote themselves to hobbies mainly because they want to make friends.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2005, 18:50
Premises:
- Shy adolescents devote totally to hobby to distract them from loneliness caused by their shyness
- Sometimes they are able to befriend other who have similar hobby
- But loneliness may be exacerbated if they lose interest in that hobby

Conclusion:
developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness

(C) Shy adolescents will lose interest in their hobbies if they do not make friends through their engagement in those hobbies.
(C) logically links the premises to the conclusion.

Now our premise can read as:
- Shy adolescents devote totally to hobby to distract them from loneliness caused by their shyness
- Sometimes they are able to befriend other who have similar hobby
- They lose interest in their hobbies if they do not make friends from their engagement in those hobbies.
- And their loneliness may be exacerbated if they lose interest in that hobby

Therefore
developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness

(A) Eventually, shy adolescents are going to want a wider circle of friends than is provided by their hobby.
- Cannot logically link the conclusion back to the premises.

(B) No successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness ever intensifies that loneliness.
- Too narrow, and out of scope.

(D) Some other strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness is generally more successful than is developing an all-consuming hobby.
- We're not sure of the other strategies and can't vouch for it here.
The other strategies could be equally unsuccessful, or maybe even worse.

(E) Shy adolescents devote themselves to hobbies mainly because they want to make friends.
- The aim it to distract themselves from loneliness, and not to make friends. Out.

I'll go with (C)
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2005, 08:04
it is between (B) and (D).

The shy people engage in some hobby to get rid of lonliness. So they make freinds sometimes during this phase. However they need have any freinds and still feel not lonely as long as they have interest in the hobby they are pursuing.

Being totally involved in a activity is not good way to fight lonliness. If this is true then two assumptions can be made

1) kids will always lose interest in the activity at some point
2) there must be some other thing other than the activity that rids their lonliness

I believe it is (D).
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2005, 08:07
Sorry I change my answer to (B).

The author is saying being totally involved in one activity is not a successfull startegy to overcome lonliness because such activity at some point will exacerbate the lonliness.

(B) ties these two things saying that there must exist some other thing (other than totally consuming activity) that does not exacerbate the lonliness.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2005, 09:40
(B) indeed. In order for the conclusion (hobby is not a successful strategy because it exacebates loneliness), we need to kow that a successful strategy is one that does not intensify loneliness.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2005, 09:52
Folaa3 wrote:
(E)

E cannot be right.

The passage here gives us the premises and the conclusion. In order for the conclusion to hold, we need an extra piece of information (the assumption).

Premise + Assumption = Conclusion

The conclusion:
Adopting an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy because it exacebates (i.e. intenfies) loneliness.

If we knew that a successful strategy is one that does not intenfy loneliness, then we know that yes, adopting an-consuming hobby is a lousy way to beat loneliness.

Does (E) helps us to support the conclusion, or tie it in with the premise ? No it doesn't. Shy adolscents devoting themselves to hobbies because they want friends doesn't help us understand why this method is not a successful strategy.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2005, 09:53
Wow this one is hard, unexpectedly. I looked at the five choices three times and couldn't find one that fits the bill.

I'm choosing A.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2005, 09:58
Honghu, assumptions are unstated parts of the argument that are nescessary to reach the given conclusion. To get the argument, we need to locate the conclusion. (A) wouldn't support the conclusion in this passage.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR--shy adolescents [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2005, 10:19
Ok here's what I'm thinking:

Fact: Shy adolescents use hobby to distract from loneliness. They may even get friends from the hobby.
Inference: But if they lose interest in the hobby, their loneliness is going to get worse.
Conclusion: Therefore hobby is not good for overcoming loneliness.

The key is this sentence: "if they lose interest in that hobby, their loneliness may be exacerbated. " Why would their loneliness be exacerbated? Haven't they already made some friends before they lost interest in their hobby? It can only be because they need more friends?

Out of scope, sounds to me.

I feel it should be the other way around. The argument is talking about how losing interest would make them lonely. It is not about how not making friends would make them lost interest in hobby. Suppose they won't lose interest in hobby even if they don't make friends. When they lose interest in hobby due to some other reasons, would they still be lonely? I would say yes. This is not an assumption that will lead to the inference and the conclusion.

Out of scope.

No. They do hobby to distract from loneliness, and sometimes the result is that they make friends. The purpose of hobby is not to make friends.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR--shy adolescents [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2005, 10:25
HongHu wrote:
Ok here's what I'm thinking:

Fact: Shy adolescents use hobby to distract from loneliness. They may even get friends from the hobby.
Inference: But if they lose interest in the hobby, their loneliness is going to get worse.
Conclusion: Therefore hobby is not good for overcoming loneliness.

The key is this sentence: "if they lose interest in that hobby, their loneliness may be exacerbated. " Why would their loneliness be exacerbated? Haven't they already made some friends before they lost interest in their hobby? It can only be because they need more friends?

Out of scope, sounds to me.

I feel it should be the other way around. The argument is talking about how losing interest would make them lonely. It is not about how not making friends would make them lost interest in hobby. Suppose they won't lose interest in hobby even if they don't make friends. When they lose interest in hobby due to some other reasons, would they still be lonely? I would say yes. This is not an assumption that will lead to the inference and the conclusion.

Out of scope.

No. They do hobby to distract from loneliness, and sometimes the result is that they make friends. The purpose of hobby is not to make friends.

B isn't out of scope. In fact, if we negated B and said "All successful strategy do not intesify loneliness", we can safely say that hobby is not good for overcoming loneliness because it intensifis that feeling.

A raises a suggestion - "that shy adolscents want a bigger circle of friends than is provided by their hobby". Here, we need to ask: ' Does knowing this help me to say Yes ! Having a hobby is not a good method for overcoming loneliness ?' It doesn't. Maybe having a wider circle of friends is a better method, but we don't know it's successful, do we ? We don't. :-D
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR--shy adolescents [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2005, 10:30
ywilfred wrote:
B isn't out of scope. In fact, if we negated B and said "All successful strategy do not intesify loneliness", we can safely say that hobby is not good for overcoming loneliness because it intensifis that feeling.

Oh you are absolutely right! From the inference to the conclusion there's a jump: From worsen loneliness to unsucessful strategy. (B) it is.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2005, 10:32
Thus we need the assumption to plug the gap =) I went for the wrong answer too, until i reviewed my notes and remembered that the assumption are pieces of information nescessary for the conclusion to hold.

Premise + Assumption ---> Conclusion :lol:
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2005, 10:41
Yes, I overlooked that gap. I wasn't able to find the answer because I didn't know what I should be looking for. :oops:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2005, 18:39
Thanks, all

ywilfred and anand, you are really brilliant.

OA is indeed B.
  [#permalink] 07 Mar 2005, 18:39