Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: overcoming adolescent loneliness [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 12:26
IMO B

But if they lose interest in that hobby, their loneliness may be exacerbated-
So developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness.

so even it may help for some time but afterwords make things worst its not a good strategy!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 19

Re: overcoming adolescent loneliness [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 13:14
20. Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby to help distract them from the loneliness brought on by their shyness. Sometimes they are able to become friends with others who share their hobby. But if they lose interest in that hobby, their loneliness may be exacerbated. So developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness.

Which one of the following assumptions does the argument depend on?
(A) Eventually, shy adolescents are going to want a wider circle of friends than is provided by their hobby.
(B) No successful strategy fro overcoming adolescent loneliness ever intensifies that loneliness.
(C) Shy adolescents will lose interest in their hobbies if they do not make friends through their engagement in those hobbies.
(D) Some other strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness is generally more successful than is developing an all-consuming hobby.
(E) Shy adolescents devote themselves to hobbies mainly because they want to make friends.

Conclusion states: Adolescent loneliness cannot be overcome by an all consuming hobby.
So there needs to be other methods to overcome loneliness apart from a hobby.

A- States hobby creates more friends. This does not support the conclusion.
B- This weakens the conclusion by stating there is no successful strategy for overcoming loneliness.
C- "No friends then no hobby" is what it states. But premise in the argument states "because of hobby you get friends". Mistaken Reversal
D-Correct. Strengthens the conclusion by stating that other strategies more successful than all consuming hobby to overcome loneliness
E- If they want to make friends then adolescents devote to a hobby. Again Mistaken Reversal.

Hence D is the right choice
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: overcoming adolescent loneliness [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 16:38
so thats restate in this way
proponent : all -consuming hobby is good strategy...
oponent: - no, it may exerbacate loneliness

so it states that if srtategy may exerbate some loneliness it not good strategy , even it will be a help for some time...

C - other strategies -not reluctant
D- Shy adolescents will lose ....- strategy must b the issue !

imo B
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 38

Re: overcoming adolescent loneliness [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 11:30
This post received
KUDOS
noboru wrote:
20. Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby to help distract them from the loneliness brought on by their shyness. Sometimes they are able to become friends with others who share their hobby. But if they lose interest in that hobby, their loneliness may be exacerbated. So developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness.

Which one of the following assumptions does the argument depend on?
(A) Eventually, shy adolescents are going to want a wider circle of friends than is provided by their hobby.
(B) No successful strategy fro overcoming adolescent loneliness ever intensifies that loneliness.
(C) Shy adolescents will lose interest in their hobbies if they do not make friends through their engagement in those hobbies.
(D) Some other strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness is generally more successful than is developing an all-consuming hobby.
(E) Shy adolescents devote themselves to hobbies mainly because they want to make friends.

IMO B
Explanation. Shy adolescents devote to hobby to distract from loneliness.
Sometimes they make friends who share hobby. ( Decreases Loneliness ).
Sometimes loose interest -> loneliness increases.

Conclusion: All consuming hobby is not best strategy for overcoming loneliness.

A. It is out of scope as WIDER CIRCLE OF Friends is not mentioned
B. Since the loneliness is increasing as a result of hobby so this is the assumption behind the conclusion.
C. It is not mentioned that loss of interest in hobby is due to not making friends.
D. Out of scope.
E. It is not mentioned in the passage that adolescents devote to hobby is to make friends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MGMAT 6 650 (51,31) on 31/8/11
MGMAT 1 670 (48,33) on 04/9/11
MGMAT 2 670 (47,34) on 07/9/11
MGMAT 3 680 (47,35) on 18/9/11
GMAT Prep1 680 ( 50, 31) on 10/11/11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CR notes
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html?hilit=chineseburned

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 37

Re: overcoming adolescent loneliness [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 18:53
+1 for B.

The introduction of the premise about making friends was a nice distraction. Nowhere in the argument did the author connected it to the reasoning.

Overall the argument is weak. Hence we needed a "Supporter" assumption - a strong statement that would fill in the logical gap. B fits the bill

Nice explanation by catfreak. +1 kudos !!!

Crick
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

Re: overcoming adolescent loneliness [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 21:39
I believe that is B.

I used the negate test here.

If a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness intensifies that loneliness, then the argument falls apart badly. The argument basically stated the assumption without explicitly saying so.

I can see D as a tempting choice, but we're only worried about the method of overcoming loneliness with a hobby, and not anything else. Someone wrote that it's out of scope and I agree. If this is a strengthen or weaken question instead, then this is a type of answer choice that can be correct however to strengthen the argument at least superficially.
Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: overcoming adolescent loneliness [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 12:30
Its E or C. Had it been exam i would choose E

Kaustubh

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 109

Re: overcoming adolescent loneliness [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 22:27
+1 B

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: overcoming adolescent loneliness [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 12:04
Nice question. Took almost 5 mins to reach B by POE!!

Searched for OA on other forums. Answer is given as B in the link below.

http://www.beatthegmat.com/shy-aadolesc ... a33a8c4b54
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: overcoming adolescent loneliness [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2011, 09:56
I agree with B
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, LBS, Wharton, Kelloggs, Booth

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 09:11
I got E first. But got B later.
This is saying that a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness NEVER intensifies that loneliness. But the argument says that decreased interest in a hobby intensifies loneliness. This implies a hobby is not a successful strategy, which is,in fact, the conclusion.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 12:23
Why is D wrong? If developing an all-consuming hobby is not a succesfull strategy the author assumes there is a better strategy

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2012, 12:23