Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 01:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 268
Location: India
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 63 [2] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 07:29
2
This post received
KUDOS
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

52% (02:40) correct 48% (01:58) wrong based on 204 sessions
Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby to help distract them from the loneliness brought on by their shyness. Sometimes they are able to become friends with others who share their hobby. But if they lose interest in that hobby, their loneliness may be exacerbated. So developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness.
Which one of the following assumptions does the argument depend on?
(A) Eventually, shy adolescents are going to want a wider circle of friends than is provided by their hobby.
(B) No successful strategy fro overcoming adolescent loneliness ever intensifies that loneliness.
(C) Shy adolescents will lose interest in their hobbies if they do not make friends through their engagement in those hobbies.
(D) Some other strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness is generally more successful than is developing an all-consuming hobby.
(E) Shy adolescents devote themselves to hobbies mainly because they want to make friends.
_________________

Cheers,
SD

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Shy adolescents [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 08:17
I would go for D;
13 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2010
Posts: 34
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [13] , given: 12

Re: CR - Shy adolescents [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 09:25
13
This post received
KUDOS
SudiptoGmat wrote:
Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby to help distract them from the loneliness brought on by their shyness. Sometimes they are able to become friends with others who share their hobby. But if they lose interest in that hobby, their loneliness may be exacerbated. So developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness.
Which one of the following assumptions does the argument depend on?
(A) Eventually, shy adolescents are going to want a wider circle of friends than is provided by their hobby.
(B) No successful strategy fro overcoming adolescent loneliness ever intensifies that loneliness.
(C) Shy adolescents will lose interest in their hobbies if they do not make friends through their engagement in those hobbies.
(D) Some other strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness is generally more successful than is developing an all-consuming hobby.
(E) Shy adolescents devote themselves to hobbies mainly because they want to make friends.

IMO B.
Assumptions are unsaid premises. They are those missing links that would complete the story. Everything moves fine till we encounter lasts sentence. That seems a bit out of place. Stem says that shy kids develop hobbies---> hobbies help them find friends ---> is they loose hobby then loneliness increases (fine) ---> Therefore, hobby is not a good idea?? Well there is a missing link between the last two lines.

And see that B is the only option that fits there. Hobby decreases loneliness---> loss of hobbies decrease loneliness---> any strategy that has a risk of intensifying loneliness isn't a good strategy---> Therefore, hobby isn't a good strategy.

Makes sense, doesn't it!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 268
Location: India
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Shy adolescents [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 13:19
OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

_________________

Cheers,
SD

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Feb 2010
Posts: 195
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Shy adolescents [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 20:35
honeyrai - thanks for the explanation. Makes sense now --
4 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 354
Location: San Francisco
Followers: 318

Kudos [?]: 667 [4] , given: 11

Re: CR - Shy adolescents [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2010, 18:45
4
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

You got to the right answer, for the right reason, already, so I only have one thing to add. The way to improve generally at CR is to start to recognize patterns in both the passage structures and the answer choices. For what it's worth, this question falls into one of the 4 categories we separate out within the greater category of "assumption" questions.

The first category (represented in this question) is "logic gap". Just as honeyrai so efficiently explained, there is a syllogism here with a missing piece. In case you've forgotten, a syllogism is a logical argument that works in this way: If a = b and b = c, then a = c. Logic gap questions tend to say a = b, so a = c, and we lose out on that important b = c part. If you start to recognize this as a pattern that comes back again and again, you're more likely not to fall for a trick or trap.

Word up.

Hope that helps!
_________________


Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2005
Posts: 1133
Location: India
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Shy adolescents [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 00:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
honeyrai wrote:
SudiptoGmat wrote:
Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby to help distract them from the loneliness brought on by their shyness. Sometimes they are able to become friends with others who share their hobby. But if they lose interest in that hobby, their loneliness may be exacerbated. So developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness.
Which one of the following assumptions does the argument depend on?
(A) Eventually, shy adolescents are going to want a wider circle of friends than is provided by their hobby.
(B) No successful strategy fro overcoming adolescent loneliness ever intensifies that loneliness.
(C) Shy adolescents will lose interest in their hobbies if they do not make friends through their engagement in those hobbies.
(D) Some other strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness is generally more successful than is developing an all-consuming hobby.
(E) Shy adolescents devote themselves to hobbies mainly because they want to make friends.

IMO B.
Assumptions are unsaid premises. They are those missing links that would complete the story. Everything moves fine till we encounter lasts sentence. That seems a bit out of place. Stem says that shy kids develop hobbies---> hobbies help them find friends ---> is they loose hobby then loneliness increases (fine) ---> Therefore, hobby is not a good idea?? Well there is a missing link between the last two lines.

And see that B is the only option that fits there. Hobby decreases loneliness---> loss of hobbies increases loneliness---> any strategy that has a risk of intensifying loneliness isn't a good strategy---> Therefore, hobby isn't a good strategy.

Makes sense, doesn't it!


Excellent explanation, just one correction highlighted in red.
_________________

Trying hard to conquer Quant.

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2009
Posts: 485
Location: Bangalore,India
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 325

Re: CR - Shy adolescents [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 09:56
great question it went of like a beamer thanku for the explanations
_________________

One Final Try.......

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 250
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Shy adolescents [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 07:16
B it is.
The explanations above are sufficient to justify this.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 30
Location: I see you
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Shy adolescents [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 21:33
great question, awesome exp gaurav
_________________

Be willing to fail. It's the price of greatness. ;)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 90
Location: United States
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 5

Re: CR - Shy adolescents [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 09:14
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

You got to the right answer, for the right reason, already, so I only have one thing to add. The way to improve generally at CR is to start to recognize patterns in both the passage structures and the answer choices. For what it's worth, this question falls into one of the 4 categories we separate out within the greater category of "assumption" questions.

The first category (represented in this question) is "logic gap". Just as honeyrai so efficiently explained, there is a syllogism here with a missing piece. In case you've forgotten, a syllogism is a logical argument that works in this way: If a = b and b = c, then a = c. Logic gap questions tend to say a = b, so a = c, and we lose out on that important b = c part. If you start to recognize this as a pattern that comes back again and again, you're more likely not to fall for a trick or trap.

Word up.

Hope that helps!


It help. Thanks for the add on.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 233
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [2] , given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Shy adolescents [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 09:35
2
This post received
KUDOS
Great question and explanation! The question took me a long time to solve.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2010
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 18

Re: CR - Shy adolescents [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2010, 02:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
Awesome!
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 995
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 379 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Shy adolescents [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 06:15
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

You got to the right answer, for the right reason, already, so I only have one thing to add. The way to improve generally at CR is to start to recognize patterns in both the passage structures and the answer choices. For what it's worth, this question falls into one of the 4 categories we separate out within the greater category of "assumption" questions.

The first category (represented in this question) is "logic gap". Just as honeyrai so efficiently explained, there is a syllogism here with a missing piece. In case you've forgotten, a syllogism is a logical argument that works in this way: If a = b and b = c, then a = c. Logic gap questions tend to say a = b, so a = c, and we lose out on that important b = c part. If you start to recognize this as a pattern that comes back again and again, you're more likely not to fall for a trick or trap.

Word up.

Hope that helps!


Thanks Tommy. I did eliminations and saw the answer. Like this one. Is this correct? Pls comment.

Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby to help distract them from the loneliness brought on by their shyness. Sometimes they are able to become friends with others who share their hobby. But if they lose interest in that hobby, their loneliness may be exacerbated. So developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness.
Which one of the following assumptions does the argument depend on?
(A) Eventually, shy adolescents are going to want a wider circle of friends than is provided by their hobby. IRRELEVANT. OUT
(B) No successful strategy fro overcoming adolescent loneliness ever intensifies that loneliness. HOLD
(C) Shy adolescents will lose interest in their hobbies if they do not make friends through their engagement in those hobbies.

WRONG FOR 2 REASONS.
ONE Y-> X IS WRONG (No friends -> No hobby)
The sequence was HOBBY -> DISTRACT LONELINESS -> FRIENDS

AND SECOND I NEED UNSTATED PREMISE

(D) Some other strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness is generally more successful IRRELEVANT. OUT
(E) Shy adolescents devote themselves to hobbies mainly because they want to make friends. IRRELEVANT. OUT

IMO : B
_________________

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1726
Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 259 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 07:58
+1 B

If there are successful strategies that could intensify the loneliness, we could not claim that hobbies are not successful.
_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 271
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 6

Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 06:00
The answer is B. Took me nearly four minutes to confirm B. But that's ok, because that's why there are 40-sec SC questions on the GMAT.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.
_________________

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2012
Posts: 464
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 20:58
lose interest in that hobby => intensifies/exacerbates loneliness
thus, hobby strategy is not success

gap: intensifies loniliness -> not successful strategy / no successful strategy intensifies loneliness

B fills that gap.

Answer: B
_________________

Impossible is nothing to God.

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 1486
Followers: 210

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 00:42
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 47
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 15:43
can any one explain B meaning :
(B) No successful strategy fro overcoming adolescent loneliness ever intensifies that loneliness.

i understood from B is that there are no stratigies will make the loneliness more sever . is my translation correct ? if it is not , why not correct ?

thanks
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 481
Followers: 200

Kudos [?]: 286 [1] , given: 5

Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 17:49
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shagalo wrote:
can any one explain B meaning :
(B) No successful strategy fro overcoming adolescent loneliness ever intensifies that loneliness.

i understood from B is that there are no stratigies will make the loneliness more sever . is my translation correct ? if it is not , why not correct ?

thanks


No, your interpretation is not correct. B is saying that no SUCCESSFUL strategies will make the loneliness more severe (intense) and that single word "successful" is very important.

Remember that assumptions fill the gaps in the logic from premise to conclusion. The premise is that the hobby strategy may cause intensified (more severe) loneliness THEREFORE it cannot be a successful strategy. Why can't it be successful? There seems to be some benefits. In order to believe that because of the intensified loneliness it can't be a successful strategy we have to assume that successful strategies will NOT ever make loneliness more intense (severe).

Hope that helps!
KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2014, 17:49
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
People cannot devote themselves to study of natural joemama142000 12 04 Jan 2010, 16:44
2 Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby noboru 31 23 Sep 2009, 11:25
Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby bigtreezl 9 03 Oct 2008, 14:30
Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby rahulraao 5 14 Nov 2005, 04:32
Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby chunjuwu 13 06 Mar 2005, 18:26
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.