Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Shy of 40 in first two prep tests

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Shy of 40 in first two prep tests [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 07:44
Folks,

I gave two full length GMAT practice tests ( both MGMAT ) and scored exactly the same in both :
Nov 29, 2010 : Q46 V35 Tot 660
Dec 31, 2010 : Q46 V35 Tot 660

I think I just got unnerved during both Quants and that impacted my performance in verbal.
While reviewing the questions I seem to have made a few silly mistakes. Had I avoided them, I would have inched closer to 700.

I have 10 more days to go with certain areas that need improvement.
How many more practice tests should I take? I am debating whether taking more practice tests will be more fruitful utilization of time or brushing up on my basics accompanied by fewer practice tests.
I plan on taking the two Gmatprep tests on the 4th last and 3rd last day with last 2 days to review error logs alone. Am I leaving a longer gap between my last GMAT prep test and the real one or is it good enough?

Also, some of the posts here mention about MGMAT being tougher than the real GMATs. Is it true ?
Any insights will be appreciated.

Regards,
Sameer
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 255 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shy of 40 in first two prep tests [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 09:49
Friend, I often see people here claiming to have taken quite a few CATs before the test so they would get used to the atmosphere. I suggest you take 4 CATs in last 5 days, leaving the last day free.

Posted from my mobile device Image

[highlight]Monster collection of Verbal questions (RC, CR, and SC)[/highlight]
massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142

[highlight]Massive collection of thousands of Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving questions and answers:[/highlight]
1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1123

Kudos [?]: 5092 [1] , given: 164

Re: Shy of 40 in first two prep tests [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 11:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sameerdrana wrote:
Folks,

I gave two full length GMAT practice tests ( both MGMAT ) and scored exactly the same in both :
Nov 29, 2010 : Q46 V35 Tot 660
Dec 31, 2010 : Q46 V35 Tot 660

I think I just got unnerved during both Quants and that impacted my performance in verbal.
While reviewing the questions I seem to have made a few silly mistakes. Had I avoided them, I would have inched closer to 700.

I have 10 more days to go with certain areas that need improvement.
How many more practice tests should I take? I am debating whether taking more practice tests will be more fruitful utilization of time or brushing up on my basics accompanied by fewer practice tests.
I plan on taking the two Gmatprep tests on the 4th last and 3rd last day with last 2 days to review error logs alone. Am I leaving a longer gap between my last GMAT prep test and the real one or is it good enough?

Also, some of the posts here mention about MGMAT being tougher than the real GMATs. Is it true ?
Any insights will be appreciated.

Regards,
Sameer

In the last few days, focus less on taking practice tests, more on going through your error log. Practice tests take a lot of time and energy and are only useful for practicing, getting a feel for the exam and checking your current level. You don't need to check your current level now because your test day isn't far. Review the ones who have already taken properly. Take one, maximum two more to establish the strategies you will be following on test day. Try and be as serious as you can in these tests and analyze them properly to see if you are making any repetitive mistakes that you can quickly take care of.
Last day before the test, relax.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1394 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Shy of 40 in first two prep tests [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 14:08
I would suggest taking the GMAT Prep in the last few days leading up to the test at the exact same time of your test and with the AWA.

As for your MGMAT, I would suggest taking all 6 of them. But before that, considering you've taken the two tests, generate an assessment report and review it really carefully - chances are you'll catch a lot of silly mistakes that can be avoided. When you're reviewing your answers, don't just look at the explanation straight away. Instead, click on the problems you got wrong and rework them without the time constraint. Chances are you'll get it right this time, and that way, the process becomes internalized and you won't make the mistake again.

Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shy of 40 in first two prep tests [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 14:28
In my opinion, if you feel you just rushed through the Verbal section for both of the test, it might be relate to the fact that you may need some rest.
As others said, I would suggest the power prep tests respectively 2 and 3 days before, and trying to work on your error log, but most of all, try to arrive fresh and relaxed on D-Day !!!!!!

Good luck :!:

If you find the post useful, don't be shy and Kudo me ;)

Intern
Intern

Re: Shy of 40 in first two prep tests [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 11:03
Really appreciate all of you for your feedback above.
I feel a little relieved having taken two more tests in the last 3 days.
My prep record stands as follows :
Nov 29, 2010 : Q46 V35 Tot 660 MGMAT
Nov 31, 2010 : Q46 V35 Tot 660 MGMAT
Dec 03, 2010 : Q49 V38 Tot 710 MGMAT
Dec 05, 2010 : Q49 V38 Tot 710 GMATPrep1

I think I was a little too anxious to hit 700 in my very first prep tests which was always going to be a tall order!
Last two tests I changed my strategy and didn't rush through either of my sections, which essentially is the difference between making the right answer choices with rationale presiding over anxiety. Never knew it would pay such dividends :)
Looking back I still think I could have improved my GMATPrep1 score with relatively easy questions that I flunked due to sheer misinterpretation. I thought I froze a little at the beginning of Verbal section, else I was confident of scoring at least a point or two more. Focus and concentration plays a big role, something I intend to work on in this last week of my prep.
My best pursuits will be to range between 710 and 730 in the remaining two tests and yes I will rest as much as I can and not over-practice!

I have following strategy in mind for remainder of my week:
Sun - Review error logs, Improve on weak Quant areas
Mon - Review error logs, Practice RC ( GMATPrep had some really wordy passages that is a concern )
Tue - Powerprep1 , Practice CR/SC (Brutal SCs / 1000 SCs/GMATClub )
Wed- Review error logs, Practice CR/RC (Brutal SCs / 1000 SCs/GMATClub )
Thurs- GMATPrep2
Fri - Review error logs and relax!
Sat - D-day!

Please let me know if anything looks out of the usual above.

Thanks Karishma for your timely advise. +1 to you!
Regards,
Sameer
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [1] , given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shy of 40 in first two prep tests [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 04:20
This post received
KUDOS
Your schedule looks good to me... try to be fresh and positive on d day. Good luck

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Shy of 40 in first two prep tests [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 04:21
btw: don't forget to keep us posted with your results!

Intern
Intern

Re: Shy of 40 in first two prep tests [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2010, 14:16
Over with my D-day!
And I am informing with mixed feelings.... I got a 690 ( Q48 V37) - will write a separte debrief for the benefit of everyone on this forum. I think I owe it to this thread that made me reverse my strategy in the last week of focussing more on my error logs and not stressing out on practising more tests. I used every ounce of the energy for today's test.
All in all I think GMAT is a real test of nerves and I can say with surety that you can perform to the best of your abilities if you keep calm and be a 100% relaxed ( easier said that done ). Maybe that was the difference between a 690 and a 700+ for me.
I would have been happy with a 700+ score, something I missed probably due to my fatigue in the last 5-10mins of Verbal section. I did not run out of time and based on the difficulty level of the questions I was getting I knew I was tantalizingly close to my target, almost a cliffhanger like ending. I knew one slip and I would lose 700. Alas it had to be such a photofinish with not the sweetest end. All hope is not lost on me though, as I hear a lot of folks talking about B-schools not perceiving 690 too badly, moreover I am not too keen on a Finance Program.
As of now I do not plan on retaking the GMAT but apply at NYU(Part-time), Chicago Booth(Part-time) and three other schools ( where I know I have no chance with 690! ) and give it my best shot.
I will be seeking out more advise on whether I am correct in my approach.
As usual thanks for listening and thank you all for your valuable inputs.

Regards,
Sameer
Re: Shy of 40 in first two prep tests   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2010, 14:16