Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sick employess and fitness prog.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2010
Posts: 30
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Sick employess and fitness prog. [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 11:51
Employees of companies that offer corporate fitness programs consistently take fewer sick-days than do employees of companies that do not offer fitness programs. Thus, corporate fitness programs are shown to have a positive effect on the health of a company's work force.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

(a) Other benefits offered by companies that do not offer corporate fitness programs surpass the benefits offered by companies that do offer such programs.

(b) Companies that offer corporate fitness programs attract employees who are more health conscious than the employees of companies that do not offer such programs.

(c) The health benefits of a corporate fitness program depend upon the particular makeup of the program.

(d) Employees who participate in corporate fitness programs are not measurably less healthy than people who exercise on their own.

(e) People who participate in fitness programs not offered by their employees are generally healthier than people who participate in corporate fitness programs.


I'm stuck between 2 options - If somebody could explain me why the official answer is better than E

_________________

This time , its my time .

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 116
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1

Re: Sick employess and fitness prog. [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 19:05
Analysis of the argument:

Con: corporate fitness programs are shown to have a positive effect on the health of a company's work force.

Translates to corporate fitness programs => better health of work force. This contains a serious causal flaw

Premise:
Employees of companies that offer corporate fitness programs consistently take fewer sick-days than do employees of companies that do not offer fitness programs.

Translates to companies with corp fitness program -> less sick days & without corp fitness program -> more sick days.

Assumption:

1) Employees dont take leave unless they actually have bad health.
2) Employees participate in the program if thy are offered to
3) Employees dont have other options for fitness program
4) Employees with fitness program hire all kind of people
5) The corp fitness program is the only reason for better health and thus less sick days

Answer options:
(a) Other benefits offered by companies that do not offer corporate fitness programs surpass the benefits offered by companies that do offer such programs.
Out of scope. Discusses other benefits of companies without fitness program
(b) Companies that offer corporate fitness programs attract employees who are more health conscious than the employees of companies that do not offer such programs.
Correct option. Attacks one or more of the assumptions and states employees joining the organization are health conscious and probably more healthy
(c) The health benefits of a corporate fitness program depend upon the particular makeup of the program.
Out of scope. Discuss about health benefits.
(d) Employees who participate in corporate fitness programs are not measurably less healthy than people who exercise on their own.
Out of scope. Discusses health of other people who exercise on their own
(e) People who participate in fitness programs not offered by their employees are generally healthier than people who participate in corporate fitness programs.
Out of scope. Discusses people who workout on their own. Also it ignores people who are not offered a fitness program by employees & makes a broad generalization.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2010
Posts: 30
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Sick employess and fitness prog. [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 22:09
soumanag wrote:
Analysis of the argument:

Con: corporate fitness programs are shown to have a positive effect on the health of a company's work force.

Translates to corporate fitness programs => better health of work force. This contains a serious causal flaw

Premise:
Employees of companies that offer corporate fitness programs consistently take fewer sick-days than do employees of companies that do not offer fitness programs.

Translates to companies with corp fitness program -> less sick days & without corp fitness program -> more sick days.

Assumption:

1) Employees dont take leave unless they actually have bad health.
2) Employees participate in the program if thy are offered to
3) Employees dont have other options for fitness program
4) Employees with fitness program hire all kind of people
5) The corp fitness program is the only reason for better health and thus less sick days

Answer options:
(a) Other benefits offered by companies that do not offer corporate fitness programs surpass the benefits offered by companies that do offer such programs.
Out of scope. Discusses other benefits of companies without fitness program
(b) Companies that offer corporate fitness programs attract employees who are more health conscious than the employees of companies that do not offer such programs.
Correct option. Attacks one or more of the assumptions and states employees joining the organization are health conscious and probably more healthy
(c) The health benefits of a corporate fitness program depend upon the particular makeup of the program.
Out of scope. Discuss about health benefits.
(d) Employees who participate in corporate fitness programs are not measurably less healthy than people who exercise on their own.
Out of scope. Discusses health of other people who exercise on their own
(e) People who participate in fitness programs not offered by their employees are generally healthier than people who participate in corporate fitness programs.
Out of scope. Discusses people who workout on their own. Also it ignores people who are not offered a fitness program by employees & makes a broad generalization.


(b)Companies that offer corporate fitness programs attract employees who are more health conscious than the employees of companies that do not offer such programs.
(e) People who participate in fitness programs not offered by their employees are generally healthier than people who participate in corporate fitness programs.

Hi,
My argument about B not being the correct option was that its more of a perception .. Being more health conscious doesnt necessarily guarantee better health . How do u counter that ?

_________________

This time , its my time .

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 116
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1

Re: Sick employess and fitness prog. [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2010, 09:24
> I hope you are convinced that E is out of scope since it talks about people who work out of their own in general.
> GMAT gives us only 5 options and we need to choose the best answer among them even if we dont like them
> Between E & B, B seems to be the better option since only this option
> Finally to counter your argument, health conscious people will take better care of their health and will have a better chance of being healthy.

Between B & E, B certainly looks like a better option.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4566
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4455 [0], given: 162

Re: Sick employess and fitness prog. [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 10:59
Expert's post
girisshhh84 wrote:
Employees of companies that offer corporate fitness programs consistently take fewer sick-days than do employees of companies that do not offer fitness programs. Thus, corporate fitness programs are shown to have a positive effect on the health of a company's work force.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

(a) Other benefits offered by companies that do not offer corporate fitness programs surpass the benefits offered by companies that do offer such programs.

(b) Companies that offer corporate fitness programs attract employees who are more health conscious than the employees of companies that do not offer such programs.

(c) The health benefits of a corporate fitness program depend upon the particular makeup of the program.

(d) Employees who participate in corporate fitness programs are not measurably less healthy than people who exercise on their own.

(e) People who participate in fitness programs not offered by their employees are generally healthier than people who participate in corporate fitness programs.


I'm stuck between 2 options - If somebody could explain me why the official answer is better than E


The question asks you to weaken the argument. When you want to weaken the argument, you focus on its conclusion. Look for an option that will weaken the conclusion.
Conclusion: corporate fitness programs are shown to have a positive effect on the health of a company's work force.

I need an option that says that corporate fitness programs may not have a positive effect.

B says companies that offer corporate fitness programs attract employees who are more health conscious. It means the employees are already more health conscious and hence, already healthier. It may not be the fitness program that is having a positive effect on them. Weakens the conclusion.

On the other hand, E says people who participate in fitness programs not offered by their employees are generally healthier than people who participate in corporate fitness programs. It doesn't say that the corporate fitness program may not have a positive effect on the health of the employees. Corporate fitness program may still have a positive effect. Perhaps, employees under corporate fitness program were very unhealthy to begin with. Fitness program had a positive effect on them but still they are not as healthy as other who have their own fitness programs. Nothing in this option weakens my conclusion.

_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Sick employess and fitness prog.   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2010, 10:59
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 sick leave nusmavrik 7 13 Aug 2010, 09:30
5 I'm so sick of the GMAT... GLookup 31 14 Jul 2010, 01:33
PS: Geometric prog Economist 2 22 Mar 2009, 22:09
Entrep prog redbeanaddict 1 06 Mar 2009, 23:09
Experts publish their posts in the topic FIT FOR SChools Turbinedude 1 26 Oct 2005, 06:41
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Sick employess and fitness prog.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.