Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Informing my supervisor was seeing 4th of July fireworks in action.

The saddest part is the bast@#!@# is an alum of a southern california MBA school. He should know atleast how the whole MBA process works. Right now my company has been having their "round table" talks, although I have never seen a single round table in any department or any office of my organization. So promotions are being talked about. Which means my name rose and fell like a trash can when its being hoisted by a garbage truck.

Hope I remain sane...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
Informing my supervisor was seeing 4th of July fireworks in action.

The saddest part is the bast@#!@# is an alum of a southern california MBA school. He should know atleast how the whole MBA process works. Right now my company has been having their "round table" talks, although I have never seen a single round table in any department or any office of my organization. So promotions are being talked about. Which means my name rose and fell like a trash can when its being hoisted by a garbage truck.

Hope I remain sane...

Awesome post. Talking in your dreams is classic.

I'm laughing with you. I'm sure all of us have stories of time we were studying and our S/O walks up and suggests spending some time "together" and we're thinking so hard all we do is look up and ask if than or then is right in this sentence...

Or is that just me?
:P

Really, this is completely normal. Everyone save the true elite thinks that they are John Q. Public. Everyone has a story. Everyone has had huge successes and huge failures in their lives. Some are truly epic, and we read them, but each and every one of us has a life with a great story.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
May I suggest a complement to the author's post. It is a classic.

The 7 phases of B-School Application

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=42452
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I read the classic and its so true. I decided to apply to 5 schools, toyed with the idea of adding 2 more, looked at my meagre bank balance and dropped the idea straight away.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
i am so addicted to this forum. i get rss feeds to my phone :(
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
dabots wrote:
i am so addicted to this forum. i get rss feeds to my phone :(

Game over. You win...
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
OK RSS feeds to your phone...now thats pure dedication.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
HAHAHA, you are ahead of me in one respect despite your fears. I haven't even informed my supervisor or department head that I am leaving. That is the only thing I am dreading, though I am sure to them its better than me leaving for a new job since I will be giving a years notice and can train up a replacement somewhat. The people I work with are great, its like in high school when you really like this girl and she likes you but you have a shot at the hot girl so you of course choose the cuter girl. So what I am saying is my job is the boring girl I know and like but the MBA is the hot chick.

At least I don't have to worry about it costing me a promotion since I just got one and thats half the reason I have been keeping this pretty quiet. Though a few people do know, just not the people that are in charge.

Who wrote your LORs?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: side effects of MBA application process? [#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
Is this what usually happens when one starts applying for MBA schools -

My manager heard about my MBA plans, and he did not take things "lightly". He blamed last night's power failure in the office building as my fault. I literally saw my bonus and promotion twittering out of the window. Thankfully I got the recommendation letters from him, but I dont think I will be the next hot candidate for promotion - time to look for a new job as well as for a school.

The app essays keep revisiting and crawling into my brains - my girlfriend woke me up yesterday from sleep after she heard me sleep talking (in her words) "My long term goals? What should my long term goals be - a kidney shaped swimming pool filled with money?"

I am logging on to this forum every 20 minutes to read every snippet of information - I know where rhyme will go for honeymoon, which Indian IT applicant gave his GMAT the 7th time to get a 790+ score, and the odd sermon saying partying in MBA school is a sin.

I am listening to Timbaland bleat out "I got no money" while I work on my apps - Timbaland's The way I are is my new apping anthem - very inspirational song. He talks a lot about not having Mastercard and Visa; neither do I.

I can hear the saracstic laughter and the whoops of schadenfreude errupt as every ad-com reads the introductory parapgraph of my essays and then dumps the essay paper into "to use as toilet paper" bin.

I find that my short term and long term goals end up sounding the same - find a job, keep the job, earn moolah and bring some mamacita calientes on my 100 ft yacht - not appropriate material to put on my essay.

Every applicant profile I read is better than me - every one has climbed Mt. Everest, slept with Adrian Lima, worked with Bill Gates in charities, raced with Michael Schummacher and teed off with Tiger Woods. I have only managed to play soccer with some 12 yr old Mexican kids who showed me who the real "papi" is.

I am so screwed.

I just hope I manage to complete this apping stuff before I die of frayed nerves, a loose bowel and constant itching and perspiration.

Oh my god.... CLAP CLAP CLAP...

You are an absolute riot. I love your sense of humour and your eloquent intellectual multicultural jokes. Please PM me... I promise I can help you find the Mt Everest story, or if not, I can show you how to turn the mexican kids into a Tiger Woods tee off.

I know your post is meant as humour, but if you write your essays with even one tenth the passion and character you display in the above prose, you'll do just fine.

Worry not my friend... you shall be fine. PM me for help if you want it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop, you are a riot!

Like rhyme said, you have a talent for humor, and your personality shows through clearly in your post! It makes me want to be your friend! =)

I think you have a leg up on me for this app process:

- you're a much better writer than I
- You can infuse humor into your essays
- You already started the process, while I'm still stressing over GMATs

I think you'll be fine, more than I would be. Great post btw!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
aviroop, you are a riot!

Like rhyme said, you have a talent for humor, and your personality shows through clearly in your post! It makes me want to be your friend! =)

I think you have a leg up on me for this app process:

- you're a much better writer than I
- You can infuse humor into your essays
- You already started the process, while I'm still stressing over GMATs

I think you'll be fine, more than I would be. Great post btw!

I concur. Great post. Great use of (Not over-use of) humor. aviroop, if you use this talent of creative writing this well in your essays, you have a foot in your favorite schools already.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
riverripper wrote:
HAHAHA, you are ahead of me in one respect despite your fears. I haven't even informed my supervisor or department head that I am leaving. That is the only thing I am dreading, though I am sure to them its better than me leaving for a new job since I will be giving a years notice and can train up a replacement somewhat. The people I work with are great, its like in high school when you really like this girl and she likes you but you have a shot at the hot girl so you of course choose the cuter girl. So what I am saying is my job is the boring girl I know and like but the MBA is the hot chick.

At least I don't have to worry about it costing me a promotion since I just got one and thats half the reason I have been keeping this pretty quiet. Though a few people do know, just not the people that are in charge.

Who wrote your LORs?

I begin applying this fall...oh they will know it just hasn't happened yet.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey,
Thanks guys for your positive comments - I am just humorous by nature, (did want to be a stand up comedian - but my parents thought otherwise). I am sure all of you will contribute differently to your essays and get into your dream schools.

BTW - the essays gave me insomnia yesterday. I couldnt sleep the whole night.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
Get used to it. My all nighter count is up to two digits :(. Its the nature of the beast...

aviroop wrote:
Hey,
Thanks guys for your positive comments - I am just humorous by nature, (did want to be a stand up comedian - but my parents thought otherwise). I am sure all of you will contribute differently to your essays and get into your dream schools.

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
Hey,

It is just the start. Wait till u get through into the program!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:

Okay, it's 2am and I can't sleep. So I have also joined the insomania-club.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Its Saturday - anybody got fat juicy steak like plans????

Mine is wrestling with the essays all day and evening and then a lil bit of partying and then some insomnia.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2