Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 19:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

*sigh* 650

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
*sigh* 650 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2006, 09:33
Hello all - I'm new to this blog. Just got through w/GMAT. 650 - 83rd% - crash and burn. 38 Q, 41 V. I am sifting through older entries, looking for study advice, and would welcome any assistance. Have rescheduled test for mid-November to give me some time. I see that there are many of you who took the test more than once, and managed to raise your scores considerably, which gives me hope. I would particularly love any advice on raising my quant score (obviously). I had OG 11; would it be worth getting OG10 as well, perhaps for the practice problems? Took Kaplan, which actually did help me, I think. More recent purchases are the Manhattan GMAT books, which I've found to be very helpful.
Off to a corner to lick my wounds. I'd really appreciate any thoughts/comments. Thanks, guys.

...there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 665 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2006, 22:05
Before you consider taking the test again, please document everything you did the first time.

I would focus on eliminating mistakes by keeping track of them. If you see yourself making the same mistake over and over again, thats not a good sign. By keeping track, you will always be conscious of your errors.
Thats only a first step.

Consider participating in the math forum and try to explain your answer or post your own questions.

As for practice, some have found our Math Challenges helpful. You might consider attempting to work on those to reinforce the concepts.

hope this helps
Praetorian
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2006, 05:40
Thanks, it does. Full disclosure: I've been out of school for quite a few years. Was in musical conservatory for much of high school, and managed to get away w/never taking any math above Algebra 1 level - and didn't do that well in that class! Just wasn't motivated. Took no math in college; somehow landed in and got through a corporate banking training program, including advanced courses in accounting, corporate finance, etc. upon graduation - no, I'm not really sure how that happened, either! Left after a few years to pursue music and writing; had a great deal of success doing both; want very badly to open my own production company; lack the skills that I believe an excellent b-school will render to me. Fast-forward to this year; signed up for private tutoring through Kaplan, and frankly have nothing but great things to say about it, despite the alarming numbers of negative posts re: Kaplan I've seen on this website! Have basically taught myself high school algebra and geometry this year, so am not utterly discouraged by my low score, considering. I got rattled early on in the test, which didn't help - I guess I need to learn to chill out a bit, as well as improve my skills. Toward the end of my studying, I purchased the MGMAT books, which were amazing. Went through them once or twice - wish I'd had more time with them.
This is probably a Mickey Mouse question, but if I don't ask how to do this, I will never learn: what in heaven's name is the cube root of the square root of x to the 48th power?! And please be kind enough to tell me how you arrived at the solution. Hate to be dim, but I must ask.
Also, the "SC 1000" and "RC 1000" that people keep referring to - where can I find them? They sound incredibly helpful for practice purposes. And I am not taking the test again until November 18th. I figure that gives me a good solid block of time to hunker down and study, and I will still be in the second round of b-school apps, which is where I think I should be anyway, since I am a card-carrying "non-traditional" applicant.
Thanks for your help!

...there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...

Manager
Manager
Schools: Olin Business School - Washington University

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2006, 23:32
Guessing your lack of a "base" knowledge of Algebra/Geometry, etc is what is hurting you. Most get this knowledge in HS, but looks like you have to play catch up...

To answer your question - which I believe is as follows: (((x)^1/2)^48)^1/3 = (x^24)^1/3 = x^8

Good luck next go round...
  [#permalink] 13 Sep 2006, 23:32