Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 03:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Sep 2011
Posts: 36
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 18:23
Received admit mail from Simon today :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 16
Schools: Simon (A)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 18:37
sravangmat wrote:
Received admit mail from Simon today :)


Congrats! Any information about financial aid?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 18:42
sravangmat wrote:
Received admit mail from Simon today :)


Congrats. Are you R3 or R4 applicant? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Sep 2011
Posts: 36
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 21:44
easonchiang wrote:
sravangmat wrote:
Received admit mail from Simon today :)


Congrats. Are you R3 or R4 applicant? Thanks.



I am an R3 applicant. Received a scholarship of $30K. Any one from India who is heading to Rochester this fall ? Any idea, how far is rochester from New York city? How good are the career prospects post MBA for finance/ consulting?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 22:48
sravangmat wrote:
easonchiang wrote:
sravangmat wrote:
Received admit mail from Simon today :)


Congrats. Are you R3 or R4 applicant? Thanks.



I am an R3 applicant. Received a scholarship of $30K. Any one from India who is heading to Rochester this fall ? Any idea, how far is rochester from New York city? How good are the career prospects post MBA for finance/ consulting?


Thanks for sharing. FYI, it takes around 7 hours from Rochester to NYC by train.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Sep 2011
Posts: 36
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 22:09
Hey guys,

how are you doing ? How many of all those admitted students actually decided to attend Simon this fall ?... I am in .
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2011
Posts: 69
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 21:42
sravangmat wrote:
Hey guys,

how are you doing ? How many of all those admitted students actually decided to attend Simon this fall ?... I am in .


I would most probably decline the offer. Albeit the administration of the school is really a wonderful one. Liked it so much.
_________________

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 16
Schools: Simon (A)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 21:49
navra wrote:
sravangmat wrote:
Hey guys,

how are you doing ? How many of all those admitted students actually decided to attend Simon this fall ?... I am in .


I would most probably decline the offer. Albeit the administration of the school is really a wonderful one. Liked it so much.


how was the scholarship weekend? did the administration increase your scholarship? if so, to how much? i'm still undecided about the offer. what other b-schools are you considering?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2011
Posts: 69
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 21:53
rwbaut wrote:
navra wrote:
sravangmat wrote:
Hey guys,

how are you doing ? How many of all those admitted students actually decided to attend Simon this fall ?... I am in .


I would most probably decline the offer. Albeit the administration of the school is really a wonderful one. Liked it so much.


how was the scholarship weekend? did the administration increase your scholarship? if so, to how much? i'm still undecided about the offer.


Hi, I didn't attend the event. I got an offer from another school, and while Simon asked if they can do anything to keep me in their raw I realized that they cannot. Even with a full scholarship I would not change the mind.

Why cannot you decide? Unless you were accepted by a top 20 schools, I think full funding at Simon is a pretty good idea.
_________________

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 16
Schools: Simon (A)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 22:07
which other school did you get an offer? i also have other offers from other b-schools in the same tier/cluster as simon, but the other schools are located in much better areas--better weather and more importantly many more job opportunities. i agree that the administration is among the best i've encountered.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2011
Posts: 69
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 22:12
rwbaut wrote:
which other school did you get an offer? i also have other offers from other b-schools in the same tier/cluster as simon, but the other schools are located in much better areas--better weather and more importantly many more job opportunities. i agree that the administration is among the best i've encountered.


Fuqua. The location is as well not a good one. A friend of mine was accepted by UCLA. I don't think that I would have changed Duke for UCLA based solely on the location of the school. Though, they are almost from the same cluster.
_________________

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 16
Schools: Simon (A)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 22:35
navra wrote:
rwbaut wrote:
which other school did you get an offer? i also have other offers from other b-schools in the same tier/cluster as simon, but the other schools are located in much better areas--better weather and more importantly many more job opportunities. i agree that the administration is among the best i've encountered.


Fuqua. The location is as well not a good one. A friend of mine was accepted by UCLA. I don't think that I would have changed Duke for UCLA based solely on the location of the school. Though, they are almost from the same cluster.


Wow, congrats! Duke (Fuqua) is a great business school. With a business school such as Fuqua (trans-elite/elite tier/cluster), location does not matter because top firms across the country, especially management consulting firms (McKinsey, BCG, Bain & Company, Booz Allen Hamilton, etc.), will come to Fuqua and recruit aggressively. Therefore, the location of Fuqua does not matter as much in terms of job opportunities.

On the other hand, most non-top 20 schools are regional schools where most of the school's quality job placements are generally limited to certain geographical regions (usually close to the area of where the school is located). Although not impossible, to get a quality job offer beyond the regional area would be unusual.

Did Fuqua offer you funding? Regardless, congrats again on your amazing accomplishment!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Sep 2011
Posts: 36
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 23:15
rwbaut wrote:
navra wrote:
rwbaut wrote:
which other school did you get an offer? i also have other offers from other b-schools in the same tier/cluster as simon, but the other schools are located in much better areas--better weather and more importantly many more job opportunities. i agree that the administration is among the best i've encountered.


Fuqua. The location is as well not a good one. A friend of mine was accepted by UCLA. I don't think that I would have changed Duke for UCLA based solely on the location of the school. Though, they are almost from the same cluster.


Wow, congrats! Duke (Fuqua) is a great business school. With a business school such as Fuqua (trans-elite/elite tier/cluster), location does not matter because top firms across the country, especially management consulting firms (McKinsey, BCG, Bain & Company, Booz Allen Hamilton, etc.), will come to Fuqua and recruit aggressively. Therefore, the location of Fuqua does not matter as much in terms of job opportunities.

On the other hand, most non-top 20 schools are regional schools where most of the school's quality job placements are generally limited to certain geographical regions (usually close to the area of where the school is located). Although not impossible, to get a quality job offer beyond the regional area would be unusual.

Did Fuqua offer you funding? Regardless, congrats again on your amazing accomplishment!



Wow navra ... Duke is an amazing school. Congrats for your admission. All the best.

Rwbaut, may I know what are the other schools from which you have an admit? Even I have offers from other schools BU & Olin. However I am more inclined towards Simon as it is one of the best schools in Finance & Marketing, areas of my primary concentration
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2011
Posts: 69
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 23:17
rwbaut wrote:
navra wrote:
rwbaut wrote:
which other school did you get an offer? i also have other offers from other b-schools in the same tier/cluster as simon, but the other schools are located in much better areas--better weather and more importantly many more job opportunities. i agree that the administration is among the best i've encountered.


Fuqua. The location is as well not a good one. A friend of mine was accepted by UCLA. I don't think that I would have changed Duke for UCLA based solely on the location of the school. Though, they are almost from the same cluster.


Wow, congrats! Duke (Fuqua) is a great business school. With a business school such as Fuqua (trans-elite/elite tier/cluster), location does not matter because top firms across the country, especially management consulting firms (McKinsey, BCG, Bain & Company, Booz Allen Hamilton, etc.), will come to Fuqua and recruit aggressively. Therefore, the location of Fuqua does not matter as much in terms of job opportunities.

On the other hand, most non-top 20 schools are regional schools where most of the school's quality job placements are generally limited to certain geographical regions (usually close to the area of where the school is located). Although not impossible, to get a quality job offer beyond the regional area would be unusual.

Did Fuqua offer you funding? Regardless, congrats again on your amazing accomplishment!


Thank you, I appreciate your congratulations. I can say that behind any amazing accomplishment stands no less amazing efforts. However, I somewhat risked in that rather than applying to 5-7 schools I have narrowed the target extremely and invested great in only my application to Duke. For example, being an international student I visited Duke twice. I think this has played some role in the decision time. I didn't have a strong profile to begin with. So compensated poor profile with passion, loyalty and good research. Haven't heard on funding matter yet. I performed quite bad during interview - weak language skills. So I'm not overly relied on good if any funding.

What schools are you choosing among?
_________________

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2011
Posts: 69
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 23:26
[/quote]

Wow navra ... Duke is an amazing school. Congrats for your admission. All the best.

Rwbaut, may I know what are the other schools from which you have an admit? Even I have offers from other schools BU & Olin. However I am more inclined towards Simon as it is one of the best schools in Finance & Marketing, areas of my primary concentration[/quote]

Thank you Sravan. My congratulations with your funding at Simon. It's quite above average. Even with Duke's admission I was still very attracted to Simon. Really fell in love with their hospitality, the way they invest in students. Top 20-40 schools have to compete fiercely to attract and retain strong applicants, and, it seems to me, Simon is doing great in this respect.
_________________

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 16
Schools: Simon (A)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 23:41
Among other schools, I am also seriously considering Georgetown (McDonough) and USC (Marshall). While Simon is a highly ranked program in finance, please keep in mind that this high ranking is largely due to its faculty publication and research production in the field of finance, not due to its job placements of MBA students into top banking/financial services firms. This is why Simon has consistently placed its Ph.D. Finance graduates into top 20 b-schools' tenure-track faculty positions, although MBA graduates are generally not placed into coveted Wall Street investment banking or investment management positions. Instead, the vast majority of finance jobs that Simon MBA graduates get are corporate finance positions with Fortune 500-1,000 companies (i.e., Xerox, Kodak, Bausch & Laumb, Paychex, etc.) near the school's geographical area.

Last edited by rwbaut on 05 Apr 2012, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 16
Schools: Simon (A)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 23:47
I agree. Simon's hospitality and the way they invest in students is second to none. This is one of the main reason I am still considering Simon. At the end of the day, it's important to go to a school where you feel comfortable, and where you will get the support and attention you need to achieve your goals.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2011
Posts: 69
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 23:49
rwbaut wrote:
Among other schools, I am also seriously considering Georgetown (McDonough) and USC (Marshall). While Simon is a highly ranked program in finance, please keep in mind that this high ranking is largely due to its faculty publication and research production in the field finance, not the job placements of its MBA students into top banking/financial services institutions. This is why Simon has consistently placed its Ph.D. Finance graduates into top 20 b-school tenure track faculty positions, although MBA graduates are usually not placed into coveted Wall Street investment banking or investment management positions. Instead, the vast majority of finance jobs that Simon MBA graduates get are corporate finance positions with Fortune 500-1,000 companies (i.e., Xerox, Clorox, Paychex, etc.) near the school's geographical area.


I've got to say that it's a tough choice. I heard much about Georgetown, the location is surely great and it has many schools that are extremely selective, though, admittedly, not its business school.
_________________

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2012, 11:07
Does anyone know when R4 result will come out? Do we have to wait until May 15? I interviewed with them two weeks ago. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2011
Posts: 69
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2012, 18:15
easonchiang wrote:
Does anyone know when R4 result will come out? Do we have to wait until May 15? I interviewed with them two weeks ago. Thanks.


They reply on a random basis. It's not necessarily that they will inform only on May 15. The deadline for deposits for R2 applicants is April 13. Some of admitted people would accept the offer, others would decline it. So they might update you on your case next week once they become more aware of the number of candidates who would enroll. I received my answer on the third business day after interview, so you can receive it on any coming day.
_________________

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2012, 18:15
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
7 Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants mba20thirteen 91 16 Sep 2011, 13:18
52 Calling all 2011 Simon Applicants! mba20thirteen 256 02 Aug 2010, 08:44
1 Calling all Simon (Rochester) Fall 2010 applicants iwkcuts 34 23 Jan 2010, 17:29
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 92 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.