Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2008
Posts: 587
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 75 [4] , given: 34

Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2008, 16:49
4
This post received
KUDOS
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (01:44) correct 38% (00:44) wrong based on 165 sessions
Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to become an invasive or persistent weed, according to a decade-long study published in the journal Nature.

A) because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to
B) because it is genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
C) being genetically engineered does not make it any more likely that plants will
D) being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
E) being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely that it will
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute


Last edited by PiyushK on 11 Oct 2014, 21:49, edited 3 times in total.
Added OA/corrected typo
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2008, 17:02
D it is. A,C have SV issues and E is awkward.

Between B and D "because it is genetically engineered" vs "being genetically engineered" I am leaning towards D here after relying on my ear .. +1 for a good question.

YihWei wrote:
Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to become an invasive or persistent weed, according to a decade-long study published in the journal Nature.

A) because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to
B) because it is genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
C) being genetically engineered does not make it any more likely that plants will
D) being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
E) being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely that it? will
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3403
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2008, 17:25
Ditto.."they" plants are plural..but we have singular weed..A and C and E are out..

B is just very wordy..D is concise

bsd_lover wrote:
D it is. A,C have SV issues and E is awkward.

Between B and D "because it is genetically engineered" vs "being genetically engineered" I am leaning towards D here after relying on my ear .. +1 for a good question.

YihWei wrote:
Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to become an invasive or persistent weed, according to a decade-long study published in the journal Nature.

A) because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to
B) because it is genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
C) being genetically engineered does not make it any more likely that plants will
D) being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
E) being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely that it? will
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2007
Posts: 793
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make [#permalink] New post 01 May 2008, 09:50
Adverb modifies verbs - eliminate A and B

A) because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to
B) because it is genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
C) being genetically engineered does not make it any more likely that plants will [It cannot refer plural plants – eliminate it]
D) being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to [Hold it]
E) being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely that it will [It will holds good for predictions, but not for general truths – eliminate it]

Answer: D
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2008
Posts: 587
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 75 [1] , given: 34

Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make [#permalink] New post 01 May 2008, 11:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
OA: D.

The 'being' thing totally threw me off.
_________________

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2008
Posts: 56
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 16:28
hanumayamma wrote:
Adverb modifies verbs - eliminate A and B

A) because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to
B) because it is genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
C) being genetically engineered does not make it any more likely that plants will [It cannot refer plural plants – eliminate it]
D) being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to [Hold it]
E) being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely that it will [It will holds good for predictions, but not for general truths – eliminate it]

Answer: D



Can you please elaborate more on "Adverb modifies verbs" explanation?
Still don't understand why not B.
5 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2007
Posts: 793
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 107 [5] , given: 0

Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 20:27
5
This post received
KUDOS
Hi quiet888,

Simply is an adverb and as you know adverbs modifies verbs or other adverbs.

In this question, we have two choices:

Simply because or Simply being

"because" acts as conjunction and "being" functions as verb.

So 3-2 split choice narrowed C,D and E.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 995
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 36

Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 23:18
One question has "being" that made sense.
_________________

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 May 2010
Posts: 30
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 02:33
Isnt "Being" here a gerund and the true verb "engineered"? Why am I wrong in thinking that "Being" is a gerund and the adverb "Simply" modifies the clause "It is genetically enggineered"?
_________________

_____________________________________
If you like this comment, then +1 kudos pls

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jun 2007
Posts: 128
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 2

Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2010, 03:54
nice one..usage of "being" bothering me
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 995
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 36

Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2010, 05:43
D does not have "it". Others have. Pronoun abuse is greater evil than being. :-D I guess.
_________________

Please press kudos if you like my post.

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 03:46
hanumayamma wrote:
Hi quiet888,

Simply is an adverb and as you know adverbs modifies verbs or other adverbs.

In this question, we have two choices:

Simply because or Simply being

"because" acts as conjunction and "being" functions as verb.

So 3-2 split choice narrowed C,D and E.

Hope this helps.

Thanks


I dont agree with that.
An adverb can modify almost everything except nouns.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: doing good things...
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Posts: 1245
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [1] , given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 23:45
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
noboru wrote:
I dont agree with that.
An adverb can modify almost everything except nouns.



Adverbs are words that modify:

*a whole clause.
*a verb (He drove slowly. — How did he drive?)
*an adjective (He drove a very fast car. — How fast was his car?)
*another adverb (She moved quite slowly down the aisle. — How slowly did she move?)
As we will see, adverbs often tell when, where, why, or under what conditions something happens or happened. Adverbs frequently end in -ly; however, many words and phrases not ending in -ly serve an adverbial function and an -ly ending is not a guarantee that a word is an adverb. The words lovely, lonely, motherly, friendly, neighborly, for instance, are adjectives.
_________________

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: doing good things...
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Posts: 1245
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 23:47
More about adverbs.

ADVERB OF MANNER

Adverbs of manner modify a verb to describe the way the action is done.

EG: She did the work carefully.

('Carefully' modifies the verb to describe the way the work was done, as opposed to quickly, carelessly, etc..)

ADVERB OF PLACE or LOCATION

Adverbs of place show where the action is done.

EG: They live locally.

ADVERB OF TIME

Adverbs of time show when an action is done, or the duration or frequency.

EG: He did it yesterday. (When)

They are permanently busy. (Duration)

She never does it. (Frequency)

ADVERB OF DEGREE

Adverbs of degree increase or decrease the effect of the verb.

EG: I completely agree with you. (This increases the effect of the verb, whereas 'partially' would decrease it.)

ADVERBS MODIFYING ADJECTIVES

An adjective can be modified by an adverb, which precedes the adjective, except 'enough' which comes after.

EG: That's really good.

It was a terribly difficult time for all of us.

It wasn't good enough. ('Enough' comes after the adjective.)

ADVERBS MODIFYING ADVERBS

An adverb can modify another. As with adjectives, the adverb precedes the one it is modifying with 'enough' being the exception again.

EG: She did it really well.

He didn't come last night, funnily enough.

ADVERBS MODIFYING NOUNS

Adverbs can modify nouns to indicate time or place.

EG: The concert tomorrow

EG: The room upstairs


ADVERBS MODIFYING NOUN PHRASES

Some adverbs of degree can modify noun phrases.

EG: We had quite a good time.

They're such good friends.


Quite; rather; such; what (What a day!) can be used in this way.

ADVERBS MODIFYING DETERMINERS, NUMERALS & PRONOUNS

Adverbs such as almost; nearly; hardly; about, etc., can be used:

EG: Almost everybody came in the end.

source: http://www.usingenglish.com/glossary/adverb.html

I do not believe that adverbs modify nouns, but this is what the source stated, so I would be cautious about this.
_________________

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: doing good things...
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Posts: 1245
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 02:12
vitamingmat wrote:
why can not be B here???



for B- see above a post saying:

In this question, we have two choices:
Simply because or Simply being
"because" acts as conjunction and "being" functions as verb.

_________________

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 193
Location: Finland
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 18

Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 05:27
Yahsek wrote:
Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to become an invasive or persistent weed, according to a decade-long study published in the journal Nature.

A) because they are genetically engineered does not make it any more likely for plants to
B) because it is genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
C) being genetically engineered does not make it any more likely that plants will
D) being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely to
E) being genetically engineered does not make a plant any more likely that i will

I will go for D too. Grammatically correct and no ambiguity.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 12:56
nobody has explain yet whats wrong with B.
Thanks.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 05:23
So your point is that "Simply", which is an adverb, cannot modify "because", which is a conjuction?

I thought that an adverb could modify everything except for nouns.

Please clarify.

Thanks.

Pkit wrote:
noboru wrote:
nobody has explain yet whats wrong with B.
Thanks.


Please see my post above.

_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2011
Posts: 93
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 07:29
D
because in all other "it " is ambiguous.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 2311
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 11:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make   [#permalink] 16 Nov 2013, 11:39
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make tarek99 6 03 Oct 2008, 15:10
Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make japped187 9 14 May 2008, 16:23
Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make uvs_mba 6 01 Nov 2006, 18:52
Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make buzzgaurav 19 19 Apr 2006, 18:56
Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make christoph 7 18 Oct 2005, 09:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.