Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 04:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since 1 appears exactly three times, we can solve for the ot

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Since 1 appears exactly three times, we can solve for the ot [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 22:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
I'm working thru PS problems and came upon this one:

John wrote a phone number on a note that was later lost. John can remember that the number had 7 digits, the digit 1 appeared in the last three places and 0 did not appear at all. What is the probability that the phone number contains at least two prime digits?

Here's my issue with this problem and similar ones. Hope somebody can help me grasp this.

The posted solution is this:
Since 1 appears exactly three times, we can solve for the other four digits only. For every digit we can choose out of 8 digits only (without 1 and 0). Since we have 4 prime digits (2, 3, 5, 7) and 4 non-prime digits (4, 6, 8, 9), the probability of choosing a prime digit is ½.
We need at least two prime digits:
One minus (the probability of having no prime digits + having one prime digit):
There are 4 options of one prime digit, each with a probability of (1/2)4.
There is only one option of no prime digit with a probability of (1/2)4.
So: [1- ((1/2)4+(1/2)4*4)] = 11/16.

I understand how they calculated this, but here's what I don't get: say for one prime digit scenario, the solution calculates different arrangements, as in prob of 4*(1/2)^4. I get the 1/2^4 as being the probability of getting one prime number and three non-prime numbers. But why take into account the arrangements by multiplying by 4? Whether the prime number comes in position 1, 2, 3 or 4, the possibility of getting one prime and three non-prime is the same, 1/16 regardless of the order, no? Same with probability of no primes, 1/16, regardless of the order.

So wouldn't the probability of having at least two primes be 1-(1/16+1/16)=1-2/16=1-1/8=7/8?
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 92

Kudos [?]: 1000 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Probability of a number when order doesn't matter [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2013, 00:19
Dixon wrote:

I understand how they calculated this, but here's what I don't get: say for one prime digit scenario, the solution calculates different arrangements, as in prob of 4*(1/2)^4. I get the 1/2^4 as being the probability of getting one prime number and three non-prime numbers. But why take into account the arrangements by multiplying by 4? Whether the prime number comes in position 1, 2, 3 or 4, the possibility of getting one prime and three non-prime is the same, 1/16 regardless of the order, no? Same with probability of no primes, 1/16, regardless of the order.

So wouldn't the probability of having at least two primes be 1-(1/16+1/16)=1-2/16=1-1/8=7/8?

You have to multiply by 4 \frac{1}{2}^4 in order to consider all the combinations.
P,N,N,N - N,P,N,N - N,N,P,N - N,N,N,P - each of those has a probability of \frac{1}{2}^4 as you said, but there are 4 combinations in which we can find only one prime. That`s why you multiply by 4.
"Whether the prime number comes in position 1, 2, 3 or 4, the possibility of getting one prime and three non-prime is the same, 1/16 regardless of the order, no? Same with probability of no primes, 1/16, regardless of the order."
So, the answer to your question is : the order is important.
You don`t multiply the probability of no primes by 4, because there is only one way to get it N,N,N,N!

Hope its clear

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Re: Probability of a number when order doesn't matter   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2013, 00:19