Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 18:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

======== Since 1953, many experimental attempts to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 17

======== Since 1953, many experimental attempts to [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2009, 23:29
========
Since 1953, many experimental attempts to synthesize the chemical constituents of life under “primitive Earth conditions” have been performed, but none of these experiments has produced anything approaching the complexity of the simplest organism. They have demonstrated, however, that a variety of the complex molecules currently making up living organisms could have been present in the early ocean and atmosphere, with only one limitation: such molecules are synthesized far less readily when oxygen-containing compounds dominate the atmosphere. Therefore some scientists postulate that the Earth’s earliest atmosphere, unlike that of today, was dominated by hydrogen, methane, and ammonia.

From these studies, scientists have concluded that the surface of the primitive Earth was covered with oceans containing the molecules fundamental to life. Although, at present, scientists cannot explain how these relatively small molecules combined to produce larger, more complex molecules, some scientists have precipitously ventured hypotheses that attempt to explain the development, from lager molecules, of the earliest self-duplicating organisms.

24. According to the passage, which of the following can be inferred about the process by which the chemical constituents of life were synthesized under primitive Earth conditions?
(A) The synthesis is unlikely to occur under current atmospheric conditions.
(B) The synthesis is common in modern laboratories.
(C) The synthesis occurs more readily in the atmosphere than in the ocean.
(D) The synthesis easily produces the most complex organic molecules.
(E) The synthesis is accelerated by the presence of oxygen-containing compounds.

25. The primary purpose of the passage is to
(A) point out that theories about how life developed on Earth have changed little since 1953
(B) warn of increasing levels of hydrogen, methane, and ammonia in the Earth’s atmosphere
(C) describe the development since 1953 of some scientists’ understanding of how life began on Earth
(D) demonstrate that the synthesis of life in the laboratory is too difficult for modern technology
(E) describe how primitive atmospheric conditions produced the complex molecules of living organisms

26. It can be inferred from the passage that “some scientists” assume which of the following concerning “larger, more complex molecules” (line 20)?
(A) The earliest atmosphere was formed primarily of these molecules.
(B) Chemical processes involving these molecules proceeded much more slowly under primitive Earth conditions.
(C) The presence of these molecules would necessarily precede the existence of simple organisms.
(D) Experimental techniques will never be sufficiently sophisticated to produce in the laboratory simple organisms from these chemical constituents.
(E) Explanations could easily be developed to explain how simple molecules combined to form these more complex ones.

27. The author’s reaction to the attempts that have been made to explain the development of the first self-duplication organisms can best be described as one of
(A) enthusiasm
(B) expectation
(C) dismay
(D) skepticism
(E) antipathy
===============

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Director
Director

Re: RC 4-Primitive Earth [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2009, 00:11
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 1

Re: RC 4-Primitive Earth [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2009, 07:32
24. A
25. C
26. C
27. D After I looked up the word precipitously in the dictionary, I am changing my answer from B to D. (Vocabulary is very important for non-native speakers. You can use cap letters to substitute an unknown noun, but you almost always have to know the meaning of the verb or the adjective. In this case, not knowing the meaning can mess up my answer.)

For 27. I am not sure whether it should be B or D. But I feel that the word precipitously is the key word to answer this question. Unfortunately, I don't know what that word means. So I just guessed B.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Re: RC 4-Primitive Earth [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2009, 00:53
24. A
25. C
26. C
27. B

I opted B for 27 because I was unaware of the meaning of 'precipitous'. After looking it seems D is right.

"The highest result of education is tolerance."

VP
VP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

Re: RC 4-Primitive Earth [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2009, 01:18
My ans are:
A,C,C,D

Nitya, where r passages for 16th March?
Director
Director

Re: RC 4-Primitive Earth [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2009, 10:49
OAs-ACCD
nitya34 wrote:
========
Since 1953, many experimental attempts to synthesize the chemical constituents of life under “primitive Earth conditions” have been performed, but none of these experiments has produced anything approaching the complexity of the simplest organism. They have demonstrated, however, that a variety of the complex molecules currently making up living organisms could have been present in the early ocean and atmosphere, with only one limitation: such molecules are synthesized far less readily when oxygen-containing compounds dominate the atmosphere. Therefore some scientists postulate that the Earth’s earliest atmosphere, unlike that of today, was dominated by hydrogen, methane, and ammonia.

From these studies, scientists have concluded that the surface of the primitive Earth was covered with oceans containing the molecules fundamental to life. Although, at present, scientists cannot explain how these relatively small molecules combined to produce larger, more complex molecules, some scientists have precipitously ventured hypotheses that attempt to explain the development, from lager molecules, of the earliest self-duplicating organisms.

24. According to the passage, which of the following can be inferred about the process by which the chemical constituents of life were synthesized under primitive Earth conditions?
(A) The synthesis is unlikely to occur under current atmospheric conditions.
(B) The synthesis is common in modern laboratories.
(C) The synthesis occurs more readily in the atmosphere than in the ocean.
(D) The synthesis easily produces the most complex organic molecules.
(E) The synthesis is accelerated by the presence of oxygen-containing compounds.

25. The primary purpose of the passage is to
(A) point out that theories about how life developed on Earth have changed little since 1953
(B) warn of increasing levels of hydrogen, methane, and ammonia in the Earth’s atmosphere
(C) describe the development since 1953 of some scientists’ understanding of how life began on Earth
(D) demonstrate that the synthesis of life in the laboratory is too difficult for modern technology
(E) describe how primitive atmospheric conditions produced the complex molecules of living organisms

26. It can be inferred from the passage that “some scientists” assume which of the following concerning “larger, more complex molecules” (line 20)?
(A) The earliest atmosphere was formed primarily of these molecules.
(B) Chemical processes involving these molecules proceeded much more slowly under primitive Earth conditions.
(C) The presence of these molecules would necessarily precede the existence of simple organisms.
(D) Experimental techniques will never be sufficiently sophisticated to produce in the laboratory simple organisms from these chemical constituents.
(E) Explanations could easily be developed to explain how simple molecules combined to form these more complex ones.

27. The author’s reaction to the attempts that have been made to explain the development of the first self-duplication organisms can best be described as one of
(A) enthusiasm
(B) expectation
(C) dismay
(D) skepticism
(E) antipathy
===============

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: RC 4-Primitive Earth [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2009, 14:37
Hi nitya
thanks for the post

got this one wrong ... my ans are DCDA

regarding ques no 24 i narrowed down to A and D .. why did most of u guys choose A ? I picked up D because no outside knowledge brought in ... in option A i thought i need to bring outside knowledge that today atmosphere is oxygen rich

ques 25 ... got this one right

ques 26 .. my ans is worng , C is better

ques 27 .. got this wrong
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: RC 4-Primitive Earth [#permalink] New post 20 May 2009, 08:19
my answers:

24) A
25) A
26) C
27) D
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: RC 4-Primitive Earth [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 05:11
Can somebody explain why D is correct for 27?
I read somewhere (Guess in Kaplan) that author's tone to the passage can never be skeptical. Although saying this is too extreme, i feel B is better. Explanations please
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: RC 4-Primitive Earth [#permalink] New post 22 May 2009, 00:39
CAn somebody explain Q27 please.
Re: RC 4-Primitive Earth   [#permalink] 22 May 2009, 00:39