Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since 1986when the Department of Labor began to allow

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 100

Since 1986when the Department of Labor began to allow [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 02:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Since 1986,when the Department of Labor began to allow investment officers’ fees to be based on how the funds they manage perform, several corporations began paying their investment advisers a small basic fee,with a contract promising higher fees if the managers perform well.
(A) investment officers’ fees to be based on how the funds they manage perform,several corporations began
(B) investment officers’ fees to be based on the performance of the funds they manage,several corporations began
(C) that fees of investment officers be based on how the funds they manage perform,several corporations have begun
(D) fees of investment officers to be based on the performance of the funds they manage,several corporations have begun
(E) that investment officers’ fees be based on the performance of the funds they manage,several corporations began

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA:d

Guys the official explanation of Verbal review goes over my head.Can someone explain in non-technical terms each answer choice?I had answered b:(

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 60

Re: Department of Labor [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 02:27
Agree with (D). This one is the least awkward. I think here is a problem with style rather than with grammar.

It's better to use present perfect ('have begun') because we have 'since' at the beginning.
So we have (C) and (D) left. (C) ruled out because it begins with 'that'.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Department of Labor [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 03:38
I too think D is correct
"fees of investment officers " is preferred to "investment officer's fee"
Hence A,B, E out.
between C and D, C uses subjunctive mood. Subjunctive implies uncertainty. but here the law is already in practice from 1986, so no uncertainty. hence C is out.
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 106

Re: Department of Labor [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 04:43
sudiptak wrote:
I too think D is correct
"fees of investment officers " is preferred to "investment officer's fee"
Hence A,B, E out.

I do not agree to above reason. As Denis said, present perfect is required: A, B, E are out

sudiptak wrote:
between C and D, C uses subjunctive mood. Subjunctive implies uncertainty. but here the law is already in practice from 1986, so no uncertainty. hence C is out.

Not sure whether subjunctive is correct or not.

I think D is better for following reasons:
1) In C, began to allow that - it seems awkward to me (D is simple and neat). Can someone qualify the usage of 'to allow that"?

2)
In D, based on the performance of the funds they manage - simple noun phrase
In C, based on how the funds they manage perform - Clause with subject and verb

also note that the above segment is the part of modifier when the Department ...,

* Recommended ==> Usage of verbs in the modifiers should be minimum
----
Please correct me wherever I am wrong!

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: Department of Labor [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2009, 13:19
Agreeing with Sudeepe ; its not about the subjunctive but about the precise construction
Re: Department of Labor   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2009, 13:19