Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 05:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since digital recording offers essentially perfect

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Followers: 311

Kudos [?]: 2608 [3] , given: 696

Since digital recording offers essentially perfect [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 09:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:48) correct 41% (00:37) wrong based on 356 sessions
Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduction – on compact discs, digital audiotapes, or digital videodiscs – audiophiles can accumulate music, transferring them from one format to another, copying it, and digitally altering it with little effort and not damaging the sound quality.

music, transferring them from one format to another, copying it, and digitally altering it with little effort and not damaging

music, transferring it from one format to another, copying it, and digitally altering it with little effort and no damage to

music, transfer it from one format to another, copy it, and digitally alter it with little effort and no damage to

music and transfer it from one format to another, copy it, and then digitally altering it with little effort and not damaging

music and transfer it from one format to another, copying it, and digitally alter it with little effort and no damage to
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Last edited by carcass on 13 Dec 2012, 09:02, edited 3 times in total.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 35

Re: Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduct [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 09:53
IMO (C)
Reason: Parallelism and concise
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 2608 [1] , given: 696

Re: Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduct [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 10:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 644 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduct [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 10:39
Expert's post
carcass wrote:
Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduction – on compact discs, digital audiotapes, or digital videodiscs – audiophiles can accumulate music, transferring them from one format to another, copying it, and digitally altering it with little effort and not damaging the sound quality. (GMAT Prep)

music, transferring them from one format to another, copying it, and digitally altering it with little effort and not damaging

music, transferring it from one format to another, copying it, and digitally altering it with little effort and no damage to

music, transfer it from one format to another, copy it, and digitally alter it with little effort and no damage to

music and transfer it from one format to another, copy it, and then digitally altering it with little effort and not damaging

music and transfer it from one format to another, copying it, and digitally alter it with little effort and no damage to

A has SVA issue.
B implies that "transferring music from one format to another" is an effect of "accumulation of music", an unneeded change of meaning.
C items are parallel.
D and E both have parallelism issue.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduct [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 10:49
Expert's post
Whats the OE carcass?
This great was on the lines of e-gmat, a tough one indeed.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 2608 [0], given: 696

Re: Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduct [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 10:54
Expert's post
Marcab wrote:
carcass wrote:
Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduction – on compact discs, digital audiotapes, or digital videodiscs – audiophiles can accumulate music, transferring them from one format to another, copying it, and digitally altering it with little effort and not damaging the sound quality. (GMAT Prep)

A has SVA issue.
B implies that "transferring music from one format to another" is an effect of "accumulation of music", an unneeded change of meaning.
C items are parallel.

C convey the meaning that all the music at the same time is copied, transfered and so on..........is not possible. This question is from GmatPrep question pack I purchased it and is an example how is tricky the new GMAC exam.

Also you can refer to this one. It is really nice to read http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/11/ ... r-vs-logic

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Expert Post

Re: Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduct [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 11:18
Expert's post
Expert Post

Re: Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduct [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 12:09
Expert's post

Last edited by carcass on 13 Dec 2012, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduct [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 19:26
Expert's post
Hii carcass.
But there is a difference between the questions, the one posted in this thread has a difference in answer choices with the question Ron discussed.
I still say that C is the best choice here.

Rules For Posting

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 644 [1] , given: 62

Re: Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduct [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 19:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
@Carcass.
What is the correct source of the one posted by you.
Btw the official question is as posted in the image.
Attachments

official question.png
official question.png [ 48.76 KiB | Viewed 3535 times ]

Rules For Posting

Last edited by Marcab on 13 Dec 2012, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
The correct alternative to the original question posted in the topic.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduct [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 20:41
Expert's post
carcass wrote:
Marcab wrote:
carcass wrote:

A has SVA issue.
C items are parallel.

C convey the meaning that all the music at the same time is copied, transfered and so on..........is not possible. This question is from GmatPrep question pack I purchased it and is an example how is tricky the new GMAC exam.

Also you can refer to this one. It is really nice to read http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/11/ ... r-vs-logic

I would like to add one more thing.
I can run as fast as Bolt, drive as fast as Alonso and swim as fast as Phelps.
This doesn't means that I do these three all at one moment.

Rules For Posting

Expert Post

Re: Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduct [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 08:54
Expert's post
Marcab wrote:
@Carcass.
What is the correct source of the one posted by you.
Btw the official question is as posted in the image.

True. My fault :)

I didn't want to post the screen shot but the text of the question and i copied it wrong.

Here you are right is C . My fault :)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Last edited by carcass on 13 Dec 2012, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduct [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 08:58
Expert's post
But the two questions are indeed different.
In fact, the BTG link that you shared also discusses about the question that I posted. So I really wonder from where you got this question.

Rules For Posting

Expert Post

Re: Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduct [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 09:01
Expert's post
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3668 [0], given: 185

Re: Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduct [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 20:20
Expert's post
Hi Marcab,

I want you to study the following sentence:

Joe finished his project, working till late hours, skipping his gym sessions, and refusing to meet even his close friends.

Now if I turn this sentence into:

Joe finished his project, worked till late hours, skipped his gym sessions, and refused to meet even his close friends.

Do you think both the grammatically correct sentences mean the same and both are logical?
Let me know what you think.

Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduct [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 20:31
Expert's post
egmat wrote:
Hi Marcab,

Joe finished his project, working till late hours, skipping his gym sessions, and refusing to meet even his close friends.

Joe finished his project, worked till late hours, skipped his gym sessions, and refused to meet even his close friends.

Do you think both the grammatically correct sentences mean the same and both are logical?

Thanks.
Shraddha

The two sentences have different meanings:
1) Joe finished his project, working till late hours, skipping his gym sessions, and refusing to meet even his close friends.
This implies that he finished his project by working till late hours, skipping his gym sessions and refusing to meet bla bla.

2) Joe finished his project, worked till late hours, skipped his gym sessions, and refused to meet even his close friends.
This implies that all the four items are events, not having a cause and effect relationship.

Now the reason I chose C over B was that B said "audiophiles can accumulate music, transferring it from one format to another, copying it, and digitally altering it with little effort".
How can "digitally altering" be a way to accumulate music?
If it can then no doubt B>C but if not then C>B.

Rules For Posting

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 368 [0], given: 23

Re: Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduct [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 21:14
Marcab wrote:
egmat wrote:
Hi Marcab,

Thanks.
Shraddha

The two sentences have different meanings:
1) Joe finished his project, working till late hours, skipping his gym sessions, and refusing to meet even his close friends.
This implies that he finished his project by working till late hours, skipping his gym sessions and refusing to meet bla bla.

2) Joe finished his project, worked till late hours, skipped his gym sessions, and refused to meet even his close friends.
This implies that all the four items are events, not having a cause and effect relationship.

Now the reason I chose C over B was that B said "audiophiles can accumulate music, transferring it from one format to another, copying it, and digitally altering it with little effort".
How can "digitally altering" be a way to accumulate music?
If it can then no doubt B>C but if not then C>B.

digitally altering can not be a way to accumulate music.
Rather accumulating music has 3 parts (a 3 step process) : transferring, copying and digitally altering.
Hence B shoulld be correct. Having said that, C also has no grammatical error and selecting an answer choice here would be purely driven by 'what makes more sense' basis.

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduct [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 21:49
Expert's post
So its a 3 step process. I thought that each of the way enables us to accumulate music; its quite evident that "copying and transferring" can help us to accumulate music, but was skeptical about "digitally altering".
Now the confusion is crystal clear now.
Thanks.

Rules For Posting

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 1

Re: Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduct [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 23:20
This post received
KUDOS
Them’ cannot be used for music. ‘It’ should be used.
it is the correct option as it is telling how it accumulate music. Parallelism is also being maintained among transferring, copying and altering.
it is a close option but it changes the meaning by suggesting that audiophiles accumulate, transfer, copy and alter which is not the meaning in the original sentence. Although parallelism is there but change in meaning makes it incorrect.

altering it -Not parallel
transfer it -Not parallel

So, B is the correct option.

www.mnemoniceducation.com

TURN ON YOUR MINDS!!!

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduct [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 23:26
Expert's post
But how can a prepositional phrase be the subject? B makes the prepositional phrase as the subject, doesn't it?

Rules For Posting

Re: Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduct   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2012, 23:26