Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 57

Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 18:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (02:35) correct 53% (02:07) wrong based on 19 sessions
7. Since empathy is essential for people to be willing to follow moral codes that sometimes require them to ignore their own welfare to help others, civilized society could not exist without empathy.

Which one of the following is an assumption required by the argument?
(A) Civilized society can exist only if there are people who are willing to at least sometimes ignore their own welfare to help others.
(B) Failure to empathize with other people usually leads to actions detrimental to civilized society.
(C) If everyone in a society is sometimes willing to ignore his or her own welfare to help others, that society will be civilized.
(D) Moral codes that include the requirement that people disregard their own welfare in order to help others have arisen within some civilized societies.
(E) People who feel empathy tend to ignore theirown welfare for the sake of others.

guys show me some empathy here and explain this one? i tried negation technique but still got it wrong. i'll post the OA later
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by gtr022001 on 19 Feb 2011, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: civilized society could not exist without empathy [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 23:29
The way civilized society is defined is -
People when ignore their own welfare to help others = civilized society. civilized society cannot exist without empathy (conclusion)

E is clear which ties both ends.
Manager
Manager

Re: civilized society could not exist without empathy [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 00:19
gmat1220 wrote:
People when ignore their own welfare to help others = civilized society. civilized society cannot exist without empathy (conclusion)

yes that is what i picked too! but its not the OA, any more tries? :(
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 200 [1] , given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: civilized society could not exist without empathy [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 00:25
This post received
KUDOS
then it has to be A. :)

gtr022001 wrote:
gmat1220 wrote:

yes that is what i picked too! but its not the OA, any more tries? :(
Manager
Manager

Re: civilized society could not exist without empathy [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 00:36
gmat1220 wrote:

yep OA is A!
Director
Director

Reviews Badge
Re: civilized society could not exist without empathy [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 00:40
civilized society "could not exist" - this is extreme. Hence the assumption is extreme. I didnt choose A since it rocked the boat too much and gmat answers are not aha !

gtr022001 wrote:
gmat1220 wrote:

yep OA is A!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

Re: civilized society could not exist without empathy [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 07:13
Step 1: Identify the conclusion. Here the conclusion is "[therefore] civilized society could not exist without empathy"

Step 2 : Now look for the assumption/link/premise which connents Premise 1 to the Conclusion.

A makes it the best. Remember, if you negate "A" the conclusion falls apart"

Tip - assumption questions are another form of strenghten or weaken (support or defend) and these should make the conclusion hold true.

HTH
Manager
Manager

Re: civilized society could not exist without empathy [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 10:18
amma4u wrote:
Step 1: Identify the conclusion. Here the conclusion is "[therefore] civilized society could not exist without empathy"

Step 2 : Now look for the assumption/link/premise which connents Premise 1 to the Conclusion.

A makes it the best. Remember, if you negate "A" the conclusion falls apart"

Tip - assumption questions are another form of strenghten or weaken (support or defend) and these should make the conclusion hold true.

HTH

right, so i tried negating the following...
(A) Civilized society CANNOT exist only if there are people who are willing to at least sometimes ignore their own welfare to help others.
(E) People who feel empathy tend to NOT ignore their own welfare for the sake of others.

when i negate (A), doesn't it just repeat what the argument said? i thought (E) negated weakened the argument more but i guess not. Thoughts?
Director
Director

Reviews Badge
Re: civilized society could not exist without empathy [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 18:28
If you have gone thru MGMAT CR guide it says don't negate the assumption by taking the extreme negation. It says "least negative". CANNOT is most extreme negation.

Least negative assumption -
(A) Civilized society NOT NECESSARILYexist only if there are people who are willing to at least sometimes ignore their own welfare to help others.

(E) People who feel empathy tend to NOT NECESSARILYignore their own welfare for the sake of others.

negation A destroys the arg but negation E does not.

gtr022001 wrote:

right, so i tried negating the following...
(A) Civilized society CANNOT exist only if there are people who are willing to at least sometimes ignore their own welfare to help others.
(E) People who feel empathy tend to NOT ignore their own welfare for the sake of others.

when i negate (A), doesn't it just repeat what the argument said? i thought (E) negated weakened the argument more but i guess not. Thoughts?
Re: civilized society could not exist without empathy   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2011, 18:28