Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38829 [3]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Own Kudos [?]: 548 [0]
Given Kudos: 471
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38829 [1]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [2]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
smartguy595 wrote:

Thanks Harley1980, LogicGuru1, AbdurRakib.

I understand becuase modifies verb "have been predicting" in option A.

why is it awkward to say "due to the economy’s continued strength" . pls advise

Hello smartguy595

If we take the same example:
"analysts have been predicting [something] because of the economy’s continued strength"
and change it on caused by:

"analysts have been predicting ... caused by of the economy’s continued strength"

Does it sound for you correct?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Kunal, a subordinate clause (Dependent clause) + an Independent clause, grammatically functions as an Independent clause. So, in the original sentence, following two Independent clauses are connected by coordinating conjunction and:

(i) Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest rate target five times
- Independent clause

(ii) Because of the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will be raised again in November
- Subordinate clause (Because of...) + an Independent clause (analysts have been..), functioning as an Independent clause

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses clauses, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 330
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Sample 1. Two things leaning more on grammar are important here.
1.Which to use Whether [color=#0000FF]analysts predicted or analysts have been predicting[/color]. Considering that, the prediction is still going on and not a competed task, we need to use present progressive tense. So A and D survive.
2. Use of the subjunctive mood verb 'be raised' in the sub clause is inappropriate. Prediction is not a bossy theme to entail the command subjunctive.

Therefore, A is the choice

daagh
Why did u consider that the prediction is still going on, maybe the analysts predicted for weeks but later got tired and stopped predicting as in 'C'
in C past tense "predicted" with conditional "would" is right that way?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The prediction is valid until November. Only by November, one will know the actual. Therefore, the prediction remains intact until then.
If the original prediction is not currently existent, what is the new prediction now? There is no such thing. Therefore we have to take that the prediction is, as of now, continuing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
I understand why B, C, D, E are wrong, but in A 'because' should modify a very isn't it ? "economy’s continued strength" is a noun right ?
Please explain.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rashwiniyer wrote:
I understand why B, C, D, E are wrong, but in A 'because' should modify a very isn't it ? "economy’s continued strength" is a noun right ?
Please explain.

Hi rashwiniyer, grammatically speaking, the sentence does not just say because; it says because of. The presence of of indicates that a prepositional phrase should follow.

In other words, since of is a preposition, it can be expected to be followed by a noun. This is exactly what's happening here.

If you are wondering whether because of the economy’s continued strength acts as an adverbial modifier, the answer is yes.

analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will be raised again in November.

Why have analysts been predicting?

because of the economy’s continued strength.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses difference between because and because of. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Because of.pdf [16.42 KiB]
Downloaded 113 times

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [6]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Responding to a question that appeared on our Ask Me Anything About SC thread -- and I figured that it might help somebody here, too:

Mallard wrote:
Hi GMAT ninja,

Can you help me with the question below?

Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest rate target five times, and because of the economy's continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will be raised again in November.

A. because of the economy's continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will

B. with the economy's strength continuing, analysts predicted for weeks that the target

C. because the economy continues strong, analysts predicted for weeks that the target would

D. due to the economy's continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target

E. due to the fact of the economy's continued strength, analysts predicted for weeks that the target will

Correct answer is A, but i selected D. Can you tell me why is D incorrect?

Sure! Take another look at (D): "due to the economy's continued strength, analysts..."

The phrase "due to _____" always modifies a noun. So this construction suggests that the analysts are due to the economy's strength! That doesn't make any sense.

"Because" on the other hand, can modify an action or a whole clause. Here's (A) again:

"...because of the economy's continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will be raised again..."

Now the analysts have been predicting something because of the economy's strength. Perfectly logical.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
Kudos
Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest rate target five times, and because of the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will be raised again in November.

A. because of the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will --> two parallel action: have been predicting is correctly compared to has raised and will is the right form
B. with the economy’s strength continuing, analysts predicted for weeks that the target -->it wrongly means that the economic strength of the Federal Reserve is continuing. direct be after target is incorrect
C. because the economy continues strong, analysts predicted for weeks that the target would -->two incompatible tense actions, economy continues strong and analysts predicted.
D. due to the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target -->same error as B
E. due to the fact of the economy’s continued strength, analysts predicted for weeks that the target will -->predicted is wrong tense here
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Hi experts,

Please help me to clarify why "will" in A is correct and "would" in C is wrong. Shouldn't "would" be used instead of "will" in reported speech? Sorry because I am not a native speaker.

P/S: I have read posts explaining why past tense verb "predicted" is wrong (because of the usage of present tense "continues" in the modifier preceding it).

Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [4]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest [#permalink]
Kudos
Notice the presence of Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised

The usage of present perfect tense suggests that the action of raising has occurred sometime in the past and it is STILL into effect.

Thus, when we talk about the analysts predicting something... We need to show that the prediction is taking place now and that this prediction will happen in the future.

Keeping the above in mind we need "have neen predicting" as rightly written in (A) as compared to "predicted" in (B)

Now, whenever we need to talk about a future action w.r.t a past action we need to use the word "Would"

E.g. Google announced that it would launch it's new cell phone in 2021.

In the above, the announcement happened some time in the past and at this particular time Google was talking about an action (launch) that will happen in the future.

I.e. it is talking about an action that will happen in the future w.r.t a past action

However, in this question, we don't have any past action. We cannot say "predicted" since the prediction must be in the current time frame (as mentioned above). Hence we cannot use the word "would" and thus use "will" instead

Flag this question as it highlights the usage of would w.r.t tenses.

I hope this helps :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
sivasanjeev wrote:
Mountain14 wrote:
Can we have " Due to " rather than " because" in option A?

I know due to is used where " Caused by" can be replaced. But isn't due to better than because in this case...

'because of' modifies a verb phrase
'due to' modifies a noun/noun phrase.

Ex:

It is cold in USA because of the polar vortex.
Why is it cold? because of polar vortex.

The cold wave in USA is due to polar vortex.
The cold wave in USA is caused by polar vortex.

Back to the question stem,

Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest rate target five times because of economy's continued
strength.
Why did the FR raise interest rate? because of economy's continued strength.

If you want to use 'due to', your sentence should look like

The raise in short-term interest rate is due to economy's continued strength.
The raise is caused by economy's continued strength.

GMATNinja, and the OP who corrected to show the right application of due-to. As an example, is it correct to use a more complex modified noun such as "the fact that the federal reserved has raised the interest rate is due to economy's continued strength. The sentence is probably little awkward here. *fact* is a noun, and the use of due-to could modify the fact.
The reason I asked is because of another substantive clause used in an OG stem that I thought was hard to quickly spot in 90 seconds avg allowed time per question:
That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the.... the clause because *is indicated by* was a substantive clause used as a noun to my understanding. correct me if my understanding of what could be modified by *due-to* is incorrect please.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
M838TE wrote:
sivasanjeev wrote:
Mountain14 wrote:
Can we have " Due to " rather than " because" in option A?

I know due to is used where " Caused by" can be replaced. But isn't due to better than because in this case...

'because of' modifies a verb phrase
'due to' modifies a noun/noun phrase.

Ex:

It is cold in USA because of the polar vortex.
Why is it cold? because of polar vortex.

The cold wave in USA is due to polar vortex.
The cold wave in USA is caused by polar vortex.

Back to the question stem,

Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest rate target five times because of economy's continued
strength.
Why did the FR raise interest rate? because of economy's continued strength.

If you want to use 'due to', your sentence should look like

The raise in short-term interest rate is due to economy's continued strength.
The raise is caused by economy's continued strength.

GMATNinja, and the OP who corrected to show the right application of due-to. As an example, is it correct to use a more complex modified noun such as "the fact that the federal reserved has raised the interest rate is due to economy's continued strength. The sentence is probably little awkward here. *fact* is a noun, and the use of due-to could modify the fact.
The reason I asked is because of another substantive clause used in an OG stem that I thought was hard to quickly spot in 90 seconds avg allowed time per question:
That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the.... the clause because *is indicated by* was a substantive clause used as a noun to my understanding. correct me if my understanding of what could be modified by *due-to* is incorrect please.

Here's how I'd react to your example if I encountered it on the exam: first, I'd think there has to be a clearer way to express that idea. Is the fact due to the strength of the economy or is it the Fed's reaction?

But technically speaking, "the fact" refers to the Fed's reaction. So is it 100% wrong? I don't think so. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable eliminating an answer choice because of a "rule" stipulating that a "that clause" can never be modified by the phrase "due to." There is no such rule. All we know for sure is that "due to" should modify a noun, and a "that clause" can function like a noun.

So this would fall under a gray area for me. If I found another answer that conveyed the same idea more simply and more clearly, I'd choose that alternative, as long as that alternative didn't contain any other glaring issues. But if the other four options all had a concrete error, I'd have no choice but to swallow and pick an option I didn't love.

This kind of logical reasoning is uncomfortable to do under pressure. But it's also unavoidable. A lot of SC simply can't be boiled down to rules. Language is too complicated. So anytime you're not certain that a given construction is wrong, hang on to it, and try to eliminate the stuff you know is wrong.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest [#permalink]
neeshpal wrote:
Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest rate target five times, and because of the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will be raised again in November.

(A) because of the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will

(B) with the economy’s strength continuing, analysts predicted for weeks that the target

(C) because the economy continues strong, analysts predicted for weeks that the target would

(D) due to the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target

(E) due to the fact of the economy’s continued strength, analysts predicted for weeks that the target will

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

VeritasKarishma EducationAisle MartyTargetTestPrep

In option D, I get that "due to" modifies noun so it doesn't make sense. But how about the use of subjunctive? Is that fine? Please share your views.

Thank you in advance!
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashmit99 wrote:
In option D, I get that "due to" modifies noun so it doesn't make sense. But how about the use of subjunctive? Is that fine? Please share your views.

Indeed Ashmit; the usage of subjunctive is also a problem in D. We predict that something will happen.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 118
Send PM
how is the first part of the sentence parallel - Fed Reserve has raised and because of the economies continued strength ? what am i missing here?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
anandchatterjee11@gmail.com wrote:
how is the first part of the sentence parallel - Fed Reserve has raised and because of the economies continued strength ? what am i missing here?

Hi Anand, the parallel elements are:

....the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest and analysts have been predicting...

because of the economy’s continued strength isn't really parallel with anything.

Another Example:

Peter was confused about his career choices, and in absence of any viable alternatives, he chose Engineering.

Again, "in absence of any viable alternatives" isn't really parallel with anything. The parallel elements are the following two Independent clauses:

Peter was confused about his career choices, and he chose Engineering.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 1049
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
Hello experts,
VeritasKarishma, GMATNinja, @sayantanc2k,@AndrewN,@generis,@AjiteshArun, @DmitrytFarber,@MagooshExpert,@EducationAisle,@GMATNinjaTwo, nightblade354, marty Murray

can you please tell us why wrong answers are wrong?

Thanks for your insights.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts