Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 15:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since hydrogen has very little mass...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 87

Since hydrogen has very little mass... [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 07:02
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

38% (02:02) correct 62% (01:02) wrong based on 235 sessions
Since hydrogen has very little mass, no hydrogen was retained in the interior of the earth during the planet’s formation; therefore, all of the water contained in all layers of the earth are contained solely in the earth’s surface area.

(A) all layers of the earth are contained solely
(B) all layers of the earth are contained
(C) all layers of the earth is contained solely
(D) all layers of the earth is contained
(E) many layers of the earth is contained
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 87

Re: Since hydrogen has very little mass... [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 09:12
I thought "solely" is required, else it changes the meaning... but I am wrong. :(
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 15

Re: Since hydrogen has very little mass... [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 10:20
gmatter0913 wrote:
I thought "solely" is required, else it changes the meaning... but I am wrong. :(

I too selected D. But i am not sure why :shock:
what is the OE?

Kudos always encourages me

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 06-30-2014
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Since hydrogen has very little mass... [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 10:43
swati007 wrote:
gmatter0913 wrote:

I too selected D. But i am not sure why :shock:
what is the OE?

Why not ...contained solely ??? :!: :?:
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 18 [6] , given: 27

Re: Since hydrogen has very little mass... [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 12:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Since hydrogen has very little mass, no hydrogen was retained in the interior of the earth during the planet’s formation; therefore, all of the water contained in all layers of the earth are contained solely in the earth’s surface area.

Since the passage already says "all the water contained", "solely" is considered redundant and unnecessary. Therefore the answer is D.

Please give me kudos :)
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 150

Kudos [?]: 1471 [2] , given: 122

Re: Since hydrogen has very little mass... [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 13:34
This post received
KUDOS

Wrong. "all of the water" is singular --> "are" is wrong.

Wrong. Same as A. "are" is wrong.

Wrong. "solely is redundant because of the phrase "all of the water".
For example:
- Because of an accident, all drivers used solely freeway 101 <-- "solely" modifies "freeway 101". However, "ALL driver used freeway 101" means NO drivers used other freeways. Thus, freeway 101 was the only choice for drivers. --> we don't need solely/only here.

Back to the question.
"all water contained in all layers" also indicates there is no water contained in other layers. "the surface" is the only choice for water to contain. We don't need "solely" anymore.

Correct.

Wrong. "many layers" is totally different from "all layers".

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

CEO
CEO
Followers: 313

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Since hydrogen has very little mass... [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2014, 13:31
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 88

Re: Since hydrogen has very little mass... [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2014, 09:22
Echo the same as a few above--the sentence states "all the water"--so, we don't need to clarify by using the word "solely" to determine how much of the water we're talking about.

All choices with "are" are wrong as we have a singular subject, requiring "is".
Re: Since hydrogen has very little mass...   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2014, 09:22