Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since it has become known that several of a bank's top

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1072

Kudos [?]: 4776 [0], given: 163

Re: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2014, 18:04
Expert's post
nidhi12 wrote:
OA?
What is the official answer? A?
Why not B?

The OA is A.

B is incorrect because the second boldface is not the main conclusion of the argument. the main conclusion of the argument is "Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic"
Conclusions are not facts; they are opinions of the author. The second boldface is a premise, a fact given to you. It is not the author's opinion and hence not the conclusion.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: How is first BF a conclusion [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2014, 12:06
To e-gmat

As per session given by Chiranjeev, something that author believes i.e his opinion can be regarded as intermediate conclusion.
Here in the correct choice - A, the first boldface is taken as a conclusion.
I actually scoped it out because of the reason given above.
Also, Why E is wrong here.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Leadership
GMAT Date: 09-19-2014
GPA: 3.8
WE: Design (Aerospace and Defense)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2014, 20:34
I am Never Good at these type of CR. Please help me with some Document on these.

I marked (D) and Guess I was completely wrong with this one.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1072

Kudos [?]: 4776 [0], given: 163

Re: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 19:34
Expert's post
karna2129 wrote:
I am Never Good at these type of CR. Please help me with some Document on these.

I marked (D) and Guess I was completely wrong with this one.

I assume you are having trouble with bold face questions. Here are a couple of posts on these that might help you:

http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/03 ... -the-gmat/
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2014/01 ... questions/

For the solution of this question, check: since-it-has-become-known-that-several-of-a-bank-s-top-136001.html#p1112808

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1226

Kudos [?]: 3357 [0], given: 181

Re: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 21:00
Expert's post
rajgurinder wrote:
To e-gmat

As per session given by Chiranjeev, something that author believes i.e his opinion can be regarded as intermediate conclusion.
I actually scoped it out because of the reason given above.
Also, Why E is wrong here.

Hi Gurinder

Thanks for writing to us. :)

Before we go on to discussing the correct answer choice, I would like to request you to share your passage analysis with us. Accordingly, please identify each statement as a fact or an opinion and the role played by the boldface portions with respect to the main conclusion of the argument.

Also, please share your understanding of answer choices A and E.

I would specifically want you to reconsider option A. Does it describe first boldface portion as a conclusion? Or does choice A call the first boldface as evidence?

(A) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second gives a reason for questioning that support.

Your analysis would help me in not only addressing this particular doubt but also any possible gaps in your conceptual understanding. Hope you’ll appreciate the same. :)

Thanks!
Dolly

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2014, 08:22
Since it has become known that several of a bank's top executives have been buying shares in their own bank, the bank's depositors, who had been worried by rumors that the bank faced impending financial collapse, have been greatly relieved. They reason that, since top executives evidently have faith in the bank's financial soundness, those worrisome rumors must be false. Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic, however, since corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health.

My analysis

please correct if i am wrong:-
A circumstance is something that is happening currently.

several of a bank's top executives have been buying shares in their own bank - FACT/Circumstance
the bank's depositors, who had been worried by rumors that the bank faced impending financial collapse, have been greatly relieved. - A circumstance
Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic - Conclusion
Corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health - Evidence/Fact supporting a conclusion

Options:-
A) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second gives a reason for questioning that support.

(E) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second provides evidence in support of the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.

Here the argument is explaining why the FIRST BOLDFACE happens, in SECOND BOLDFACE he provides evidence for the explaining that argument seeks to establish(conclusion)
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1226

Kudos [?]: 3357 [0], given: 181

Re: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2014, 01:44
Expert's post
rajgurinder wrote:
Since it has become known that several of a bank's top executives have been buying shares in their own bank, the bank's depositors, who had been worried by rumors that the bank faced impending financial collapse, have been greatly relieved. They reason that, since top executives evidently have faith in the bank's financial soundness, those worrisome rumors must be false. Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic, however, since corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health.

My analysis

please correct if i am wrong:-
A circumstance is something that is happening currently.

several of a bank's top executives have been buying shares in their own bank - FACT/Circumstance
the bank's depositors, who had been worried by rumors that the bank faced impending financial collapse, have been greatly relieved. - A circumstance
Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic - Conclusion
Corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health - Evidence/Fact supporting a conclusion

Hi Gurinder

Thanks for your response! :)

Your analysis of the statements is quite correct; however, you haven’t presented your analysis for the following statement:

“They reason that, since top executives evidently have faith in the bank's financial soundness, those worrisome rumors must be false.”

Also, is a circumstance always something that is happening currently or can it also be a set of facts that are not time bound?

"Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic" – This is the main conclusion of the argument.
Quote:

Options:-
A) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second gives a reason for questioning that support.

As I mentioned in my previous comment, I would want you to reconsider option A. Does it describe first boldface portion as a conclusion? Or does choice A call the first boldface as evidence?
(A) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second gives a reason for questioning that support.

You have not understood option A correctly. BF is stated as evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion. In other words, BF is evidence that supports something. What is this something? It is a conclusion. Now is this conclusion the author’s conclusion? To determine the same, you need to define the role of the statement that you have missed in your analysis. Accordingly, please decide whether the conclusion presented in the highlighted portion is by the author or the bank depositors:

They reason that, since top executives evidently have faith in the bank's financial soundness, those worrisome rumors must be false.

Second thing, in BF questions is there a difference between a conclusion and the conclusion? Can’t a third party make “a” conclusion in such arguments? Accordingly, the conclusion highlighted above is an intermediate conclusion by the author or “a” conclusion made by a third party?

Quote:
(E) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second provides evidence in support of the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.

Here the argument is explaining why the FIRST BOLDFACE happens, in SECOND BOLDFACE he provides evidence for the explaining that argument seeks to establish(conclusion)

Let me ask you a question here. Is the purpose of the argument to explain why the bank depositor’s act in a certain way or is to call in question the reason for their behaviour? Look at the main conclusion again and decide over this.

Please do let me know what you think. :)

Dolly

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 11-08-2014
GPA: 3.1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 178

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2014, 02:16
nidhi12 wrote:
OA?
What is the official answer? A?
Why not B?

Its clearly A..
the second statement is not a conclusion at all..the main conclusion is the one that tells us about the optimism..the second statement is infact a fact or a reason that supports the main conclusion..

hope that helps :)

THE WORD IMPOSSIBLE ITSELF SAYS : I-M-POSSIBLE...SO,DREAM THE IMPOSSIBLE-AND DO THE INCREDIBLE

Re: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2014, 02:16