Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [44]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [3]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [1]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Re: Since it has become known that several of a bank’s top executives have [#permalink]
abhimahna wrote:
I donot agree with the fist statement given in option D, but I can get D as the answer by POE.

Let me explain how:

It says depositors are relieved from financial collapse because top executives have been buying shares in their own bank.

Now, it says depositors are saying top executives have faith in the bank’s financial soundness, thus being worried is of no use.

But the author concluded that you are overoptimistic because blah blah...

Now, I can very well say 2nd is Author's main conclusion. And first is the premise used by depositors to come to their own conclusion.

A. The first summarizes the evidence used in the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second states the counterevidence on which the argument relies. --> 2nd is not a counter evidence. It is the main conclusion. Hence, incorrect.

B. The first summarizes the evidence used in the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second is an intermediate conclusion supported by the evidence. --> 2nd is the main conclusion of the author.

C. The first is an intermediate conclusion that forms part of the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second is evidence that undermines the support for this intermediate conclusion. --> Same as A.

D. The first is an intermediate conclusion that forms part of the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second is the main conclusion of the argument. --> Here, I got 2nd statement correct. I donot agree with 1st boldface here. But since I have rejected all other options, I am left with only D as the answer.

E. The first is an intermediate conclusion that forms part of the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second states a further conclusion supported by this intermediate conclusion. --> Actually, the conclusion made by author is opposite to what depositors concluded.

I agree with you, the first BF is a premise supporting the intermediate conclusion i.e. these rumours are crap.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Since it has become known that several of a bank’s top executives have [#permalink]
egmat bb chetan2u

How can the first part be the intermediate conclusion ? As it is the sum of the reasoning. Please share your thoughts

Posted from my mobile device
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31926 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AdityaHongunti wrote:
egmat bb chetan2u

How can the first part be the intermediate conclusion ? As it is the sum of the reasoning. Please share your thoughts

Posted from my mobile device

Hi .

The second portion is of course the main conclusion and that is the only reason why answer can be D...

BUT the first portion is not an intermediate conclusion. Intermediate conclusion is actually just after that bold face - those worrisome rumours must be false
The first is a premise supporting the intermediate conclusion.

Does not seem to be OG question. They will never error in this way.

Poor quality. Dump it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V40
Send PM
This is a poor quality question. I don't agree that D's second half is main conclusion.
This passage seems to have 2 opinion from authors.
a) those worrisome rumors must be false.
b) They might well be overoptimistic

For my understanding intermediate conclusion leads to Main conclusion but these seem to be two possible explanations for a scenario.

1st half of D is completely wrong as also mentioned by Chetan above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Schools: Owen '22
Send PM
Can someone confirm this is a GMATPREP question? Given the dubious wording of the answer choice, if this is not a GMATPREP question, can the tag be removed?
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Can we change the bold parts to the following to make the question correct?

Since it has become known that several of a bank’s top executives have been buying shares in their own bank, the bank’s depositors, who had been worried by rumors that the bank faced impending financial collapse, have been greatly relieved. They reason that since top executives evidently have faith in the bank’s financial soundness, those worrisome rumors must be false. They might well be overoptimistic, however since corporate executives have sometimes bought shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company’s health.

BF1: those worrisome rumors must be false = Intermediate conclusion
BF2: They might well be overoptimistic = Main conclusion

Then at least D would be correct.
D. The first is an intermediate conclusion that forms part of the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
Kurtosis wrote:
Since it has become known that several of a bank’s top executives have been buying shares in their own bank, the bank’s depositors, who had been worried by rumors that the bank faced impending financial collapse, have been greatly relieved. They reason that since top executives evidently have faith in the bank’s financial soundness, those worrisome rumors must be false. They might well be overoptimistic, however since corporate executives have sometimes bought shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company’s health.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

A. The first summarizes the evidence used in the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second states the counterevidence on which the argument relies.
Second half is not an counterevidence bur rather the main conclusion therfore out

B. The first summarizes the evidence used in the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second is an intermediate conclusion supported by the evidence.
The second half is no intermediate conclusion it's the main one therefore out

C. The first is an intermediate conclusion that forms part of the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second is evidence that undermines the support for this intermediate conclusion.
The second half actually supports the intermediate conclusion , out

D. The first is an intermediate conclusion that forms part of the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.
This is exactly the meaning conveyed by the boldfaced therefore let us hang on to it

E. The first is an intermediate conclusion that forms part of the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second states a further conclusion supported by this intermediate conclusion.
The second half isn't supported by the first half therefore out

THerefore IMO D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Re: Since it has become known that several of a banks top executives have [#permalink]
However, I got a D as an answer by the process of elimination. But there is a slight problem with option D.

The second boldface is the main conclusion - correct. And the only option that states that :)
The first boldface is a premise used to support the intermediate conclusion i.e. those worrisome rumors must be false. Saying the entire first boldface as the intermediate conclusion is a bit of a problem.

Maybe an issue while posting the question or an issue with the source.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Re: Since it has become known that several of a banks top executives have [#permalink]
Kurtosis wrote:

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

A. The first summarizes the evidence used in the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second states the counterevidence on which the argument relies.

B. The first summarizes the evidence used in the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second is an intermediate conclusion supported by the evidence.

C. The first is an intermediate conclusion that forms part of the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second is evidence that undermines the support for this intermediate conclusion.

E. The first is an intermediate conclusion that forms part of the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second states a further conclusion supported by this intermediate conclusion.

Similar Question

Hi Bunuel bb

Please check whether this is a GMATPREP question.

As per the comments above and also according to me, Option D's first part is not correct.

If it is not an official question then we can remove the GMATPREP tag
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts